Kiddie Pool

mic2sail

Since our children are not allowed in the kiddie pool, and as advised by the message boards here, we are bring an inflatable pool with us for our cruise to Bermuda. The pool measures 48" round, we have twins so need something to hold two.

Can anyone tell me if that is too big to put on the deck, near the kiddie pool area? Also, will one of the RCCL help us with inflating it or should we bring an airpump? I really don't want to put the pool on our balcony for safety reasons.

Any help? Thanks!!

I brought mine just recently on RCI Grandeur. It was 36 inches, I bought it at Walmart for $1.99 and it would definitely hold two or more. I just brought it next to the big pool on the deck and had people help me fill it with pool water. People were great and LOVED watching the baby playing in the "kiddie pool". It was no problem at all. If you have room I'd say bring it.

Thanks Julie,

That makes me feel a bit better hearing from someone who actually done what I want to do . I'm getting so many conflicting criticisms on this issue. My husband and I paid a lot of money to take this cruise and I was getting the feeling that it would have been a big waste of money on our end. We were think that the entire week was going to be spent in the cabin.

I'm going to go out this weekend and purchase a smaller inflatable one. Would you recommend putting the pool near the kiddie area pool? And how did you empty it? A lot of people feel that if the kids aren't completely potty trained, dumping the water would only cause problems.

Was the crew helpful to you?

Thanks again.

Michelle

I have seen so many parents report that they have done just this. And that the crew was so helpful that some even offered to stow the pool in a closet near the pool deck, just for those families. And I have seen families told by the crew to pour the water down the drains located on the pool deck.

Everytime this argument breaks out with the people who don't have children (ironically enough), those with infant/toddlers come back to report that they had no problems whatsoever with their inflatables.

48" might be a bit large, but an inflatable pool IS an option. There does seem to be a vocal group on these boards who are intent upon making traveling with small children a capital offense :) . Scope out an "out of the way" spot for your pool, keep a close eye on your kids, and enjoy!

I saw the responses you got on the RCCL board and frankly I think those people are the type who think kids shouldn't come on cruises at all. You are being very thoughtful and considerate bringing an inflatable pool and I think you should be allowed to set it up on deck.

I went and looked at the responses and one of the people who responded is a teenager and I won't go into anymore about the others. Just know that their responses are the usual responses for EVERY thread about young kids being on board a cruise. :rolleyes:

Just scale back the size of the pool slightly and you will be fine.

Again, I want to thank you all for making me feel better. I was extremely upset reading the other post on the RCCL board. I do feel that I'm being flamed for bring my toddlers on vacation with me. Had I known that this was going to be such a problem, I would have serious considered waiting until my babies (yeah they are 2yr olds, but still my babies) were older.

I'm going out this weekend to purchase a smaller pool, probably a 30-36" one. I don't plan on putting the pool on my balcony. I just don't feel that is safe. I do plan on finding a nice quiet location for the babies to play in the pool. I wasn't born yesterday, I know not to be in anyone's way. My kids enjoy splashing around and when it's hot out, it's a good way to cool them off.

If the other people on the boards don't like it, I guess they just can plan on taking a cruise just won't admit anyone younger than 21 years of age.

Thanks again to all!!! I'm so happy that the family cruise broad is open-minded to children and families traveling.

Regards,

Michelle

Michelle:

I'm sorry you've been flamed for wanting to travel with your children. Cruising is such a great way for a family to travel together! The first time we cruised our DD was only 21 months. We booked the cruise only a week before we went and I wasn't able to do any research at all. She didn't seem to miss being able to get in the pools--she splashed her hands in them and was just fine with that.

Just know there are some on these boards who think that children should be banned from cruise ships. I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but personally I think that's ridiculous!

I've seen many, many posts on the boards about people taking a small inflatable pool and that it's worked very well.

Hang in there! You'll have a wonderful time! Half the fun of our first cruise was watching our baby explore.

Happy cruising!

Jayne

Michelle, it won't be a problem at all to have your toddler there. I assure you that your child will be one of about 500 onboard. :D

Cruiselines are catering more and more to families with every new mega ship they build. The whole cruising trend is going more family oriented.

Rest assured, the cruise line wants the families to be happy.

Michelle

When we sailed this past February on the Carnival Liberty with our children

and grandchildren we brought along a blow up pool for our 16 month

granddaughter. We chose the aft pool on the Lido deck where there are

not so many people. Found a small niche right beside the pool and out of

the way so everyone could walk by. Filled the pool with water from the

pool shower and also disposed of the water the same way. My daughter

asked her room steward if he would be able to help blow the pool up and

he was very happy to help. In fact was back in just a few minutes. She

gave him a generous tip for his help.

Also, there were no other blow up pools near this aft pool. One or two of

the other small children there stopped by to splash and have fun.

Sorry for the criticism you received. Just use your common sense which

some think that parents don't have, about where you place the pool.

You'll have a great time!!!

Michelle -

I took my twin one-year-olds on a cruise in February, just the three of us. Having cruised for years with my husband (I'm now a widow), I expected a very lukewarm welcome from passengers and crew for bringing two babies on board, but I had already tried a resort vacation that was an expensive disaster, so I really wanted to try a cruise. We could not have been more welcomed! We were treated like queens by every member of the crew, and almost without exception passengers fawned over the babies. I expected the kind of negative comments from passengers that I've read on these boards, but really the only comment I got was "What a waste - they're not going to remember this". As though having fun and full attention from their stress-free mom for a week wasn't any value!

I had expected to take them to eat in the buffet every night so I wouldn't be bringing babies into the dining room, but when one of the head waiters found out, he insisted we visit the dining room for every meal so that I could be waited on. Of course, if a baby started fussing, I left, but that happened only a couple of times, because they got so much attention from the waiters (many of which have children at home that they miss terribly). I have already booked our next cruise and don't plan to travel any other way with them for some time. The cruise ships want your business - they are catering more and more to infants (Princess even let me pre-order baby food for mine), toddlers and children - and we're not the first ones to discover this. Our cruise in February had at least a dozen kids under 3 - and countless older than that.

I understand the concern about the balcony. There is always an area on board where you can find room for your little pool - we found all kinds of nooks where I could let them fun around without getting in anyone's way - though we were never alone for long since a crowd would always gather to play with them.

Enjoy yourself - you're going to have a great time and you deserve it!

Best,

Mia

...If the other people on the boards don't like it, I guess they just can plan on taking a cruise just won't admit anyone younger than 21 years of age.

:D Good point! Of course, most of the cruise lines have completely done away with the idea of adults-only cruising because it is NOT PROFITABLE!!! There's too many of US!!! :p

I am glad you have a better feeling for what we were talking about on the other board. The funny thing is that those child bashers would have probably thought you were a genious for bringing a blow up pool if they had just seen you on board with it and had not discussed it on the board first.

Have a great time on your cruise!!!

I am glad you posted this and too, am sorry people have been flaming you over this. Just like those people, we too paid good money to cruise on the same very ships they are going on. And moreover, we actually paid for our children's spaces when they take up less room and in most cases eat less than the said "adults". (and don't get me started about kids being dirty...all i need to say is adult restrooms) So, I too, will be lugging my little pool onto the Mariner of the Seas. Thanks for you post!!!

hello!

we took a small inflatable pool for my 10 month old daughter with us this past May on our cruise on The Fantasy. It was 36inches in diameter- i paid $3 for it at Toys R Us and it was one of the best "baby" things I brought with us. Since it was so small it only took a few minutes to blow-up (the old fashioned way, no air pumps or anything :)) and I asked one of the bar-waiters for a bucket (the ones they use for the bucket of beers) and filled it with water from the shower next to the pool (they only need an inch or two of water in the pool). We sat on the main deck near the pool. Because I wanted to keep her out of the sun the seats in the shade were empty, and there was a nice spot (by a drain) where the chairs kind of formed a triangle- the pool fit nicely in between the chairs. I would have never put it out in anyone's way, and no one seemed to mind, many people commented on what a good idea it was. She was content, and so was Mom since it kept her occupied (and in one place which was not easy since she started crawling a week before we left :)). We also used the pool in the bathroom in the cabin to bathe her in, and we took it onto the beach with us at Half Moon Cay and put it on the deck of the cabanna we rented. I would DEFINATLEY bring one with you!!!! Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I am working hard on potty training my 18 month old now so she can join her big sisters in the H20 Zone on the Freedom of the Seas in Sept. She is doing good so far. I plan on bringing a little pool just in case. I just worry that she will see her big sisters (6 & 8) splashing around and having fun and she will want to get in to. Has anyone else experienced this?? I am so glad that there isn't any negativity on this thread as I really got flamed about the whole swim diaper thing on another one! People can be so nasty and hateful! I always cringe when I see someone innocently ask a question about toddlers/babies and swimming pools!:eek: Wish me luck on the potty training!!

I am working hard on potty training my 18 month old now so she can join her big sisters in the H20 Zone on the Freedom of the Seas in Sept. She is doing good so far. I plan on bringing a little pool just in case. I just worry that she will see her big sisters (6 & 8) splashing around and having fun and she will want to get in to. Has anyone else experienced this?? I am so glad that there isn't any negativity on this thread as I really got flamed about the whole swim diaper thing on another one! People can be so nasty and hateful! I always cringe when I see someone innocently ask a question about toddlers/babies and swimming pools!:eek: Wish me luck on the potty training!!

I am working to do the EXACT same! My older daughter will be 7 at the time we sail and we be in the H2O Zone having a blast. My youngest is just 2 now, will be turning 3 just 2 days before we leave. Hoping to be totally pt by then. Good luck to you as well! :)

Wish me luck on the potty training!!

Good luck! It's a tough job but once it's done life is *sooooo* much better. Congrats on having an 18 month old who is interested and capable!

I wouldn't worry about the kids feeling as though they are missing out on the pool. Like I said in the other thread, my kids barely went in the pool because it was too cold amd it was all or nothing--this pool had no little stairs or shallow parts where they could splash. Plus, the next pool we're on is salt water.

Honestly, if I had thought of it, I would have brought a little pool for them (3 & 4 at the time). They can sit for hours with a little bucket and some water and have the best time and then even I could relax!

I've been on many cruises with my young nephews and on all of them ,(except Carnival where the kiddie pool was closed :mad: ) there were many toddlers and babies in swim diapers in the kiddie pools splashing merrily away.

The only time anyone said anything was when one mom tried to put her baby in naked, another parent asked her to put on a swim diaper.

The nasty, hateful comments you see on message boards generally come from people who don't even have kids or aren't hanging around the kiddie pool, they just like to rant. The kids have been on 7 cruises and most of the other parents mind their own business and don't say a word. Relax, when you get on the cruise you'll be relieved that the haters stayed on dry land, or are too busy chugging beers in the hot tub.....;)

The nasty, hateful comments you see on message boards generally come from people who don't even have kids or aren't hanging around the kiddie pool, they just like to rant. The kids have been on 7 cruises and most of the other parents mind their own business and don't say a word. Relax, when you get on the cruise you'll be relieved that the haters stayed on dry land, or are too busy chugging beers in the hot tub.....;)

:D :D :D It has been 5 years since I went on a ship with a toddler, but that was also when the Mickey Boat allowed toddlers in the big pool with swim diapers. I think we will be just fine this go around!:) I hope everyone with a toddler has a wonderful water filled cruise!!

• 3 weeks later...

To the OP, don't feel badly about taking your toddlers! You guys will have a wonderful time. It is a great vacation for a family and children of all ages. My 2 children were 2 and 4 on our first cruise and they had a great time. The RCCL staff were wonderful with them, kept them entertained, gave them the most attention, were extremely attentive at meals; it was wonderful. They sat us at dinner with another family with 2 girls who were slightly older and the older girls took great care of our kids; I felt like we had babysitters. You are so pampered that you can just enjoy your time with your family. I never noticed any odd looks towards my kids but I also never looked. I don't let my kids run wild or disturb others so if anyone had a problem with them, that would be their problem, not mine. Have a wonderful trip! I think the pool idea is a great one. I wish I would have known that swim diapers weren't allowed on our 1st cruise. That was a surprise to us and not a good one!

Archived