Best Souvineers in Caribbean??

pes949

I love souvineers and would like to hear about special and/or unusual souvineers bought in the Eastern Caribbean....

I bought a Christmas decoration in St Thomas. Its a cute Santa in a hammock with shorts on. Also bought one in St Martin. Every year when I hang them on my tree I smile and remember the good times we had there.

Also, tee shirts. I love to get T-shirts from each port.

I don't usually buy souvenirs, but I like to get practical or beautiful things that I can use at home to remind me of places we've been. I've bought Waterford crystal (Grand Cayman), linens (St. Thomas and St. Martin), cooking spices and rubs (various), pottery (Jamaica)...those sorts of things. If there are native art or craft items that are of good quality (fabrics, woven items, etc.) I like to get those, too.

My husband and I go straight to the local grocery stores and get our souvenirs there. We always find great seasonings, sauces, interesting sweets to bring home for ourselves and friends.

I like some of these ideas...

I would never buy a watch in the Caribbean or other Jewlrey as the prices are less than retail but I can always get an amazing deals in New York where I live.

Has anyone bought musical instruments? I collect guitars and bought a wonderful professional Charanga(like a 10 string Ukelele) in Peru in February. So... I was thinking that with lots of Calypso and Reggae music in the Caribbean I could find a unique instrument. Even if it is more of a decoration that is ok.... Any suggestions?

How about art (carvings, statues, nautical, antiques etc.)? I know that there are restrictions of certain sea items like shells and coral but are these items offered in shops? Of course, I would not buy items that are sold without concern for the environment.

Archived