Anyone sail out of Galveston?

dutrie

We are thinking of booking a Princess cruise out of Galveston, but I have question about getting from the airport to the dock.

Apparently you have to fly into Houston. How did you get to the port, how long did it take and how much?

Thanks

Galveston is about 45 minutes to an hour from Houston Hobby (HOU) and 1.5 to 2 hours from George Bush (IAH). Southwest and Airtran fly into Hobby, while all the majors fly into IAH.

I took a private car service and paid about $300 for a luxury SUV, but we did airport to hotel, hotel to pier, and pier to airport - last minute, at Christmas.

A lot of people just get a rental car, although you have to be careful of the one way drop off fee in Galveston.

Another option is the shuttle services, www.galvestonlimo.com or Texas Cruise Ship Shuttle (sorry don't know the web address).

I recommend looking on www.galveston.com for suggestions.

We sail out of Galveston twice a year. But we drive. There are a zillions posts about getting to the pier.

Either IAH or Hobby. Everyone we have ever spoken to or read a post from, say good things about Galveston Limo.

If you rent a car, be sure you confirm, in writing, if there is a drop charge.

I understand Enterprise will rent with no drop charge.

This past April we did a cruise from Galveston. It was our first. We flew into Houston and had made arrangements with the cruise line to use their transportation. It worked out really great. We waited at the airport for about 30 minutes while everyone boarded the bus. It only took about 45 minutes maybe an hour to get to the pier. It wasn't as long as I had thought it would take. I would do this again. As far as the price for this transfer through the cruise line you would have to check with the cruise line that you are using.

We also cruised out of Galveston this past April. Rented a car thru Enterprise for pre 2 day stay and 1st went to the Space Center. I want to go back and spend more time there. When we got off the ship, I had prepaid a SUV to pick the 4 of us up to take to IAH. THEY NEVER DID SHOW UP!!! The first time I called, they said the car was 5 minutes away. The next 20 calls went directly to voice mail. As time got later, we took a cab for an extra $140.00 - got to the airport and thru security as our plane was boarding. DO NOT EVER USE HOUSTON LIMO NETWORK!!!!! It took me 4 weeks to get my prepayment returned to me - they never did even offer to pay for all my cell phone calls.

We will do the cruise out of Galveston again, but next time will rent thru Enterprise both ways.

We cruised out of Galveston this past March. We rented a car from Enterprise to get from Houston to Galveston and then used Galveston Limo on the way back at the end of the trip. Both were good expereinces except the bus that galveston limo used was crowded and they were having problems with the air conditioning. Not the most comfortable situation for some. the bus also had to stop at Hobby airport to drop off passengers before going to the international airport. This was not a big deal since we had hours before our flight.

If I had to do it again I would just rent the car both ways. We had a nice drive down to galveston and it was very comfortable and at our own pace. Took about an hour and a half and that was with a little rush hour traffic. Galveston limo is a good choice if you don't want to worry about anything and jsut want someone there waiting when you arrive.

Archived