snorkeling and glasses

erqueen

I wear glasses and do not keep a spare pair of contacts. While we are on our cruise I want to go snorkeling. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do so that I can see?

Thanks

If you have two weeks left order a prescription mask. I did from

Snorkel Mart. I am extremely nearsighted (-7) and the first trip I went on

10 years ago I saw shapes and not much coral. I had to squint to see

anything. I ordered a mask for me, my husband and son with a

prescription in it and it was wonderful. I went to the YMCA and tested

them out and I could count the tiles on the bottom of the floor. We

went snorkeling in April and I could see everything, including being able

to distinguish that there was a nurse shark in the water just a little

ways from me. The whole cost for the mask was very cheap <$50.00

and it made the difference for me!

The choices are:

Just wear the mask. If your eyesight isn't too bad, the natural magnification of the water might be enough to see.

Add on lenses for a regular mask. Something like Dive Optix or the above mentioned stick on bifocals

Prescription mask

Get some contacts

Lasik eye surgery

Thanks for your suggestions. I may end up not snorkeling (what a bummer). I may do it and try my luck and hope that the waters natural magnification will work. I hate to spend the money for a rx mask when this will be the only time I will use them. Also, I do not have a basic rx. When I did wear contacts, it took on average 3 weeks to get them in.

• 1 month later...
I wear glasses and do not keep a spare pair of contacts. While we are on our cruise I want to go snorkeling. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do so that I can see?

Thanks

I don't understand why you don't just wear your contacts. I snorkel and dive with them all the time with no problem. If your mask floods, just close your eyes until you get it cleared.

I don't understand why you don't just wear your contacts. I snorkel and dive with them all the time with no problem. If your mask floods, just close your eyes until you get it cleared.

That is good to hear because I wear contacts and was concerned as well. I will bring plenty of extras just in case though because I am lost without them!

I think Lasik surgery just for snorkeling is a bit more expensive than a mask with lenses. When at Half Moon Cay, the water seems to be a bit saltier than average and MOST people with contacts on were miserable with the stinging sensations.

I went to a local dive shop and bought lenses to replace the lenses the mask came with. Did about 20% less for the magnification difference. THEN I had trouble seeing the controls on my camera (presbyopia, old eyes, etc) so I reduced one eye by another diopter. Works real well and cost $60 for both lenses. Well worth it.

Btw, I am an Optometrist and the dive shop lenses were less expensive than what it would cost me (at cost) for the mask!

That is good to hear because I wear contacts and was concerned as well. I will bring plenty of extras just in case though because I am lost without them!
I've been swimming, snorkeling & diving for years with contacts - no problem!! Haven't lost one yet, but I alway keep spares on the trip - just in case! I also make sure I bring some eye drops with me, as it helps to rinse the salt out of your eyes when your done .....

Archived