Altun Ha and Belize City tour???

MikeNKim

Quite honestly, there is not much of a city to tour. So do not fret over that. We did this tour independently for $35 each. Altun Ha is ok as far as ruins. I dont much care for them, but my husband likes them. Great views from the top though and we also went down a trail into the jungle, which I ound much more interesting. Frankly, I was glad the ruins were not more than they were. Glad I went, not interested in going back. We did cavetubing before and enjoyed that, will probably go to the zoo or baboon sanctuary next time. I booked online (but did not pay until I got there) with Margeret from Belize exclusives (website is under that name). I will contact her in the future as well.

We toured with Margaret a couple years ago. I was just posting about her on this site !!! Maybe it was you b/c I was talking about taking her and the baboon sanc.

Anyway, I would strongly recommend her. She took us around the city and told us about things then to Altun Ha. It was nice small but plenty. Then we went to the Baboon Sanctuary which we really liked a lot. My daughter got to feed them.

I will have to look up Margaret and her website now !!

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Altun Ha and River Wallace tour last year with Carnival. I didn't care for this for two reasons. To me the whole up the river in a small boat while its sweltering outside was too much for me. Then you have 25 people leaning over the boat to see a shadow of something they said it was Manatee I couldn't make out what it was! Except Boring!!! Then they took you to this little riverside market for souviners and ethnic food! No Thanks!!!! Finally we boarded a non-airconditioned bus for a half an hour to the ruins. I love history..and this was going to be a highlight for me. But you really don't have any time here. If this is what your interested in doing, go with a well known tour guide and just see the ruins. I wanted to actually hear about them not just see them quickly! I was quite jealous when I saw other people from our ship with their own tour guides really narrating what everything was!

We did the Altun Ha and River Wallace tour last year with Carnival. I didn't care for this for two reasons. To me the whole up the river in a small boat while its sweltering outside was too much for me. Then you have 25 people leaning over the boat to see a shadow of something they said it was Manatee I couldn't make out what it was! Except Boring!!! Then they took you to this little riverside market for souviners and ethnic food! No Thanks!!!! Finally we boarded a non-airconditioned bus for a half an hour to the ruins. I love history..and this was going to be a highlight for me. But you really don't have any time here. If this is what your interested in doing, go with a well known tour guide and just see the ruins. I wanted to actually hear about them not just see them quickly! I was quite jealous when I saw other people from our ship with their own tour guides really narrating what everything was!

im so glad i read your post. i was torn between doing this tour or snorkeling for the first time in belize. i will be taking a canal/plantation tour with oscar brown in limon so i wont be missing the river experience if i dont do the ruins tour in belize. i am pretty sure now i am going to pick the snorkeling. it sounds awesome and there are great reveiws about it. i have never tendered before so i am still going to stick with a ship tour for peace of mind of not missing the ship. thanks for the honest review of the river/ruins.

Archived