Holiday Inn Express Tampa Stadium?

Anyone stayed here? Wondering if it is an okay area. It is located on N. Dale Mabry.

They offer a "Port of Tampa" package which includes transportation to the Port. The room would be approx $70.00. We can leave our car in their short term parking for $3.00 a day. So far, this is the best deal I have found.

While I can't speak specifically about the HI Express I personally wouldn't stay at any establishment that has a Dale Mabry address whether it be North or South DM. I just consider any address on that street a tad shady for my comfort. It's one of the oldest streets that run the entire length of Tampa and beyond, and the 'atmosphere' can change from block to block.

Hope all works out for you, cruiser@heart. Enjoy your next cruise!

Before we knew anything about these boards, and because we knew nothing about Tampa - we had originally reserved a room in that North Mabry area. However, after reading on the boards, we decided to cancel that one out - and we now have reservations at the Sailport. From everything I've read, it appears to be quite nice (3-Star) for a very reasonable price.Several restaurants very close by - and sits right on the water. I think we'll probably have to call for a taxi to get to the port - but I"m sure there are plenty around. We're feeling MUCH better about our night in Tampa now that we're in a better area. First cruise coming in just 51 days (Aug 22 - Inspiration)!!

Westshore and Rocky Point addresses are safe bets. I've stayed in both areas, and as far as I'm concerned they are the premium hotel addresses for Tampa (along with downtown Tampa).

Enjoy your planning!

Any one stay at this Tampa hotel? We got this hotel on Priceline for our precruise Miracle sailing in November....any thoughts. Hopefully it will be fine for just overnight!

A cab ride from Rocky Pointe to the port could be costly. Inquire with the hotel about Super Shuttle service. This company works the Tampa Bay area and shuttles people to different places. I used to live in St. Pete and for a shuttle to the airport (at least 30 miles) it was $10.00 several years ago. It's worth checking on anyway.

We'll be at the Sailport this Sunday so hopefully, I can post a review. We'll have our car, but friends will be flying in. Directions from mapquest make it look like the port is about 10 miles away.

Can't wait to get going! Thanks for relieving my mind about the hotel's location.

Hi all. I live in the Tampa area , so hopefully I can offer some insight here.

1. I'd stay away from the Dale Mabry area. Its not a dangerous area , but that particular Holiday Inn is not really that nice and the traffic in that area is terrible.

2. Both the Rocky Point and Westshore area's are nice. Rocky Point is approx

4-5 miles further from the port , but the area is very nice and there are several good restauraunts to choose from. The Sailport is very nice.

3. Anything downtown is good , and only minutes from the port. There is a fairly new entertainment complex called Channelside w/ several bars and restaurants

to choose from. The Channelside complex is actually right next to the port.

We stayed at Chase Suites in Rocky Point area in 2003. It was a $20 cab ride to port. That included the tip. It is a very ncie area to stay in. We were right near Bahama Breeze.

We got La Quinta Inn Westshore-Airport on Priceline. It is on Spruce. Some have said it is great for 1 night. Others have said not...Any input?

imlulu--

I'm sure you don't want to hear my thoughts again :) as I am one of the original negative responders regarding a stay at LaQuinta-Spruce St/Tampa on your post a few months ago. You still couldn't pay me to stay at that establishment--I relayed that earlier--haven't figured out yet how to link to old threads under this new system so you and others can see my original response. You indicated you had already paid for the place and that a one-night stay wouldn't be of concern to you at a less than desirable property so I hope this motel works out for you.

Seaturtle,

Thanks for your comments. I don't remember your post specifically. :(

Is it because it is a motel??? I read several positive comments on different hotel review boards. A friend's daughter lives down in Tampa and she said it is a nice area. If it is bad then I am willing to bid on Priceline for 3star and pay extra. We get in at about 7pm and plan to be out at about 11am next day. TIA

We are driving to Tampa to sail on the Sensation. I just booked the Sailport Resort for July 18 http://www.sailport.com/ . They are currently offering a Pre/Post Cruise Stay. The cost is $104. For that price, we'll get:

*Accommodations in 1 Bedroom Waterview Suite with Full Kitchen and Private Balcony. A suite will sleep up to 4. 2 bedroom suites are available.

*Transportation: Free shuttle to the Port of Tampa and pick up after cruise. They also offer a free shuttle to and from the airport if we were flying instead of driving.

*Covered parking for our vehicle.

*Complimentary coffee, bagels and sweet rolls served 6:30 - 8:30 AM each morning.

imlulu--

Unlike the other hotels in the Westshore area the LQ is in fact a very old motel that sits off to itself on Spruce St, which is the road that houses the car rental agencies. I just felt extremely uncomfortable in the room after about 1-2 hours. The only reason I even accepted the room was because I had just traveled 3000 miles by car with my two cats, and Florida being a pet unfriendly state, the only hotels I could find to accept pets was the LQ/Spruce St and the Amerisuites/Westshore. LQ had the best price, I was in a time crunch to meet a realtor, and so I dropped my cats off in the room at LaQuinta. When I came back a few hours later, I sat down for an hour or so to make phone calls, and during that time I just kept feeling dirtier and dirtier. The air condition unit was just packed with dust/dirt as were the curtains, and everything in the room was old, old. I called the Amerisuites and they could still take the cats and me that night. When I attempted to check out of the LQ they acted as though no one had ever been dissatisfied with their property (really I should have never checked in as there was a very foul order in the lobby at check-in. I was just in a bind to meet up with the realtor). They double charged me and would never fully refund what I paid even after numerous phone calls and a personal visit after the charges hit my account. And, to boot, one of my beloved cats (I'm sure she was stressed), found her way inside the box springs of one of the beds--gross--the box springs had huge holes in it. I thought I had lost my cat forever and when I discovered her in that hole (after stripping all the bedding off including the mattress), goodness knows what else was in there--I didn't look!! I put her in the carrier and drove quickly to Amerisuites where I stayed for the next 5-7 nights (I don’t recall the exact length of stay).

I have traveled extensively in my life and have thousands of hotel nights to my credit, and I can’t recall any motel/hotel I’ve ever checked out of without having even spent one night (Cocoa Beach Holiday Inn Oceanfront ranks second for nastiness in my book). Yes, I am spoiled, and book best available when I can but I also readily book moderately priced hotels such as Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn when they can meet my needs. After this one experience with a LaQuinta Inn I wouldn’t consider any of their properties for a future stay.

Again, I hope it all works out for you as I know you are on a ‘prepay’. I will be down by that LaQuinta motel in the next week or two so drop me an email if you’d like me to pop in for a ‘look see’ for you. Perhaps they’ve made some improvements and I would be more than happy to check it out for you.

All the best,

Donna D.... When you return, be sure to let me know about the shuttle service or whatever method you find to get to the port. We're flying in, and I know the Sailport has a shuttle from the airport - and I figure since they have some deals that DO include the port trip, I would certainly think that for a reasonable fee, we could also use that same service. Since there are 4 of us, and quite a bit of luggage - I don't think ONE taxi could handle all of it. Does anybody think we need to contact the Sailport ahead of time?

Have a GREAT cruise Donna.....That'll be us in about 49 days !!

Joyce

Inspiration 8-22-04 (first time cruiser)

Archived