Do you have to go to Horseshoe Bay?

plcruiser

Our ship will be located at the dockyards from 8:00 until about 5:00. Is there enough to do at the dockyards or do you have to take a cab or a ferry somewhere else? Is the beach at the dockyard nice?

There are many posts about this which should give you a good idea. There is no beach at the Dockyards although there is a snorkle park. The dockyards has a small mall, a museum a glass blowing exhibit and some other things as well as snorkle park. It has some restuarants too. There is plenty of time to go other places but you need to take some form of transportation Bus, Taxi, Ferry or scooter(not recommended unless you know what you are doing). Do you have to go to Horseshoe - no its a nice stretrch of pink sand. and there are other beaches near to it that are nice but don't have facilities. Look around you'll get some ideas of what people are suggesting...

Remember the Dockyards and Kings Wharf are the same thing....

Our ship will be located at the dockyards from 8:00 until about 5:00. Is there enough to do at the dockyards or do you have to take a cab or a ferry somewhere else? Is the beach at the dockyard nice?

There is a beach (small) at the snorkel park.

If this is your only day in Bermuda, I would say yes, you have to go to Horseshoe Bay. I spent two afternoons there last week. It is one of the nicest beaches I have ever been to that include many world class Maui and Gulf of Mexico beaches. The water at horseshoe is crystal clear. The surf is usually perfect for body surfing, or just floating farther out than the break. It is a wide and deep beach so it doesn't feel crowded at all, especially at the left end, opposite the entry point. There is even some snorkelling around the rocks on the edges of the beach when the surf is light. If you like beaches, get away from the dockyard. Taxis are very expensive in Bermuda, but the bus system is the way most people get around at a reasonable cost. Only use the ferry for a trip to town (Hamilton) if you want to shop.

You can easily get from the dockyard to Horseshoe Bay on the #7 bus in probably 30-minutes. Plan to spend at least two-hours at Horseshoe.

We'll only be in Bermuda for the day and since we've been there before, we figured we would just hang out at a beach. Since we don't plan on going to Hamilton or elsewhere can we just pay a bus fare rather than buying the 1 day transportation pass?

We'll only be in Bermuda for the day and since we've been there before, we figured we would just hang out at a beach. Since we don't plan on going to Hamilton or elsewhere can we just pay a bus fare rather than buying the 1 day transportation pass?

You can buy single tickets at the booth right when you get off the ship...normally a long line. The bus is 12 or 13.00 per day(normally available on the ship)...15 all zone tickets are $30.00 I think individual 4 zone tickets are $2.00...You'll hold the line up for individual tickets most people buy the pass because its much easier to take the ferry back from hamilton and the bus tickets can't be used on the ferry...

Do you have to go to Horseshoe Bay Beach? Of course, it's one of the most splendid beaches in the world and only 20 minutes by bus from the dockyard.

Is there enough to do at the dockyard itself? Well, yes, if you're tremendously interested in naval and Bermuda history. The Maritime Museum covers about 7 acres and contains an exhausting number of exhibits. Bermuda history, Bermuda yachting, Bermuda tourism since the 19th century, slavery in Bermuda (a surprisingly muted subject there, considering that almost all black Bermudians can trace their origins to slave days), coins, the military history of the fort & Bermuda's contribution to 2 World Wars, the dolphins... yoiks, in 1 1/2 hours we feel we barely scratched the surface...

But is it ALL you want to do in a place of such great natural beauty? Up to you, of course, and God knows tastes differ, but maybe beach in the morning and dockyard in the afternoon...? :)

Most likely we will be going to Horseshoe Bay.

I was wondering if there are lounge chairs / umbrellas to rent? I had skin cancer 3x's and need to be in shade.

We also like to snorkel. Is it a long walk to the rock area?

Instead of a ticket can I use cash to get on the bus?

Most likely we will be going to Horseshoe Bay.

I was wondering if there are lounge chairs / umbrellas to rent? I had skin cancer 3x's and need to be in shade.

We also like to snorkel. Is it a long walk to the rock area?

Instead of a ticket can I use cash to get on the bus?

There are chairs to rent at about 8 each and 10 for the umbrella if memory serves you also leave a deposit(the last time there was a long line of people returning stuff and we gave someone in line $30.00 bucks he gave his receipt and he was happy and when we returned the stuff we got $20.00 back - worked well for everyone.

PS I also bring my own umbrella..

The snorkle area is right as you enter on your right and its not far. Its a long walk down from the bus CASH IS NOT ACCEPTED ON THE BUS...look at the Bermuda bus page it says that.

Can you rent snorkel gear at horseshoe bay? Is there food?

Also, where is the best shopping in bermuda? We are there for two days. One day we are beaching it at horseshoe and the other day we want to walk around a nice town and shop. Which town is the best for shopping/walking around?

Can you rent snorkel gear at horseshoe bay? Is there food?

Also, where is the best shopping in bermuda? We are there for two days. One day we are beaching it at horseshoe and the other day we want to walk around a nice town and shop. Which town is the best for shopping/walking around?

There is a food shop there and showers and a changing room. I think the snorkle stuff was for sale. I bring my own(I need corrective lenses for the mask)... The best shopping(which is sort of questionable anyway) is in Hamilton- we bought a great Balik VAse there- someone was there from the factory and signed and dated it for us as a keepsake. Interesting but expensive shops but also some shops that have Bermuda things. St George is where the walking was better and also interesting(isn't St George a world heritage site) but the shopping is better in Hamilton the Capital...liquor is probably cheaper on the ship..

There is a food shop there and showers and a changing room. I think the snorkle stuff was for sale. I bring my own(I need corrective lenses for the mask)... The best shopping(which is sort of questionable anyway) is in Hamilton- we bought a great Balik VAse there- someone was there from the factory and signed and dated it for us as a keepsake. Interesting but expensive shops but also some shops that have Bermuda things. St George is where the walking was better and also interesting(isn't St George a world heritage site) but the shopping is better in Hamilton the Capital...liquor is probably cheaper on the ship..

Can you tell us how to get to these places? I have read that taking a water ferry is the easiest way. I am sorry for asking all of these questions... our cruise leaves in under 24 hours and we didnt prepare at all. We have been so busy with other things.

Can you tell us how to get to these places? I have read that taking a water ferry is the easiest way. I am sorry for asking all of these questions... our cruise leaves in under 24 hours and we didnt prepare at all. We have been so busy with other things.

There is a ferry between St. George & Kings Wharf & also between Hamilton & Kings Wharf. There usually are Port Consultants on the ship that can answer questions for you. They also give briefings about the ports.

Have Fun.

Can you tell us how to get to these places? I have read that taking a water ferry is the easiest way. I am sorry for asking all of these questions... our cruise leaves in under 24 hours and we didn't prepare at all. We have been so busy with other things.

I am not sure where you are staying. The direct ferry between Hamilton and the Dockyard takes 20 minutes and is a lovely ride and goes about once an hour. late into the evening. The Ferry between the Dockyard and St. George takes an hour each way and runs 4-5 times a day with the last one at 3:30 or so in the PM(and doesn't run on the weekends I believe). To get to the St. George from Hamilton by Ferry takes 1 1/2 hours as you go to the dockyards first. I have gone to St. George from the Dockyards but we have been back to Bermuda a few times and never was it a one day-er.

here is the schedules:

www.seaexpress.bm

I agree with the person who said that yes, you must go to Horseshoe Bay Beach. Sure, there are other nice beaches.. but it's like going to Washington DC and not seeing the White House!

I loved Horseshoe Bay. At least plan to spend a half day there.

The shopping on King's Warf was disappointing. Hamilton is much better.. but without Trimminghams, there aren't that many great stores.

Better to go to the Snorkel Park.

Thanks SMEYER418. We want to start out in Hamilton so from what everyone says we will plan on taking the ferry over from Kings Wharf. From Hamilon to Horseshoe Bay and back to the dockyard we should bus??

absolutely and take the Jitney up from the beach to the bus for 1pp...

• 5 weeks later...

I am just jumping on this thread and I want to make sure as well. I will beon the Spirit wioth my mom and 2 1/2 year old. Tell me if this sounds correct. We take the Ferry from the docks to Hamilton - browse around Hamilton for a while, then take the #7 bus to Horseshoe Bay, hang out at the beach for a while, take the Jitney up the hill to the bus stop, then continue on the #7 back to the cruise. right? Where do I get the bus/ferry ticket - right outside the cruise ship? Oh - and heres another question - I hear you can get your passport stamped in Hamilton - does anyone know where and how? Thanks!!!

Archived