Noordam's Roman Empire

motro

Has anyone been on Noordam's Roman Empire cruise? We are booked for July 30 and wanted to ask about Messina excursions, whether going to Taoromina would be a better tour than touring in Messina, we have never been in Sicily. We can't wait to board!!!

A few years ago we were on a cruise that stopped in Messina. We thought we were being smart by trying to take a train to Taormina instead of a tour. Well, there was a strike and we missed out. There was nothing to do in Messina, and had to listen to everyone rave onboard about their tour to Taormina. As it turns out, we are also on the July 30th Noordam cruise. This time we are definitely taking the tour to Taormina. Getting close to sail time!:)

My vote is Taormina. That was a wonderful little town, with lots of fun shopping, and a wonderful restaurant sitting on a cliff with a view that is Priceless.

Our day there is one of my fondest memories!!

We just returned from the Mediterranean where we sailed on the Nordam. At Messina, we elected to take the " A drive to Mt Etna" excursion, primarily because its idicated activity level was less than the other offerings.

The tour was essentially just a bus ride from the port up to near the top of the volcano where there was a cafe and rest room facilities, and not much else. Surely, Taormina would have been a better choice IMO.

To User8: Being you just returned from the Noordam, any other information you can tell us would be appreciated.

What did you do in Corfu? We are taking "Leisurely Corfu".

Thanks!

A few years ago we were on a cruise that stopped in Messina. We thought we were being smart by trying to take a train to Taormina instead of a tour. Well, there was a strike and we missed out. There was nothing to do in Messina, and had to listen to everyone rave onboard about their tour to Taormina. As it turns out, we are also on the July 30th Noordam cruise. This time we are definitely taking the tour to Taormina. Getting close to sail time!:)
Are you taking the ships tour or on your own?

motro -

We took the Achillion and Corfu Town excursion the other day when we were there. I remeber Achillion better than Corfu Town. As we went to 10 different countries on our back-to-back, many of the places have tended to blur together, and I am afraid Corfu is one of those places.

Achiiion is a palace with very pretty grounds which I liked. You can see pictures of it at http://www.galenfrysinger.com/achillion_palace_corfu_greece.htm and get a better idea of what to expect.

Corgu Town was interesting but nothing particularly stands out in my memory of it.

Are you taking the ships tour or on your own?

To CJ Cruiser:

We have booked all the excursions through the ship. I am looking into Corfu to see if an excursion is needed or maybe exploring on our own will be ok. Do you book your excursions through the ship or do you go on your own?

I have booked the shore excursions thru the ship. I am traveling single and didn't want to wait till the last minute to sign up. What date are you sailing on and how many are in your group? I haven't signed up for any yet in Messina.

To CJ Cruiser:

We have booked all the excursions through the ship. I am looking into Corfu to see if an excursion is needed or maybe exploring on our own will be ok. Do you book your excursions through the ship or do you go on your own?

I just realized you're going in July, so disregard that ?!..What excursion did you pick for Messina? And also how do you plan to do the money exchange for all the different ports..do they exchange it on the ship or should I exchange some before leaving home? Thanks for your help!

To CJ Cruiser:

I just realized you're going in July, so disregard that ?!..What excursion did you pick for Messina? And also how do you plan to do the money exchange for all the different ports..do they exchange it on the ship or should I exchange some before leaving home? Thanks for your help!

We usually exchange a small amount of money at the airport before we leave in case we need anything upon arrival. You can exchange money on the ship on the ship and with a very modest charge if any.

Oh, we reserved the Taormina & Greco-Theater tour. All responses were for Taormina.

Motro, I'm glad to see this post. We are also on the July 30 cruise, and received our documents this past week. No assigned cabin yet, though.

I've been studying and reading up about excursions, and after reading this, we'll be doing Taormina. This is very helpful.

I am really wondering about what to pack, in view of the new luggage weight restrictions. Anyone who has already taken this cruise, any input will be much appreciated. Also further ideas about excursions.

For example, we had planned to take a shuttle into Dubrovnik and walk the Old Town walls, but our TA told us that it's not safe to venture into Dubrovnik on your own, but to take a tour. We will for sure be taking one of HAL's tours to Ephesus. I'd sure like to get more feedback!

Honestly, I don't know what the problem with Dubrovnik would be safety wise as long as you take the usual precautions with jewelry, wallets, etc.

I was there in May as well as in 2003. I read the boards fairly regularly and have not seen anyone mention problems in Dubrovnik. It's a great place - the wall provides amazing views and the peolpe I've come in contact with in shops/restaurants have been wonderful.

Enjoy!

My husband and I are taking this cruise July 10th. Is anyone else on my cruise? WE were looking into Sammy's tours for Kusasasi. I heard they were excellent. What about the Corfu safari with a 4 wheel drive? Has anyone done that?

Ineke, This will be our second time to Kusadasi and we took the Ephesus which should not be missed. Dress cool and bring along a hat, it gets very hot and no protection from the sun. This time we will be taking the Picnic At Dilek Park. I did read to beware of Pick-pockets in Dubrovnik, which is common in many areas. I am still interested in hearing about Corfu. Unsure if we need a tour. Does anyone have some info?

There are two ephasus tours, a 4 1/2 hr. and a longer 8 hour one. Would the short tour be enough, or do you really have to go for the longer one. I am traveling with my in-laws, and while active they are hesitant about the long tour with the heat and all. Any thoughts?

:confused:

There are two ephasus tours, a 4 1/2 hr. and a longer 8 hour one. Would the short tour be enough, or do you really have to go for the longer one. I am traveling with my in-laws, and while active they are hesitant about the long tour with the heat and all. Any thoughts?

:confused:

Squid 1, I would call the shore excursions at 888-425-9376 and ask them about the time spent at Ephesus. It seems all of the three tours include Ephesus but offer different things. The 6 1/2 hr tour includes lunch, the 4 1/2 hr tour includes a visit to Virgin Mary's house, the 3 1/2 hr tour includes just Ephesus. They all include a carpet demonstration which you can opt not to go and all bring you to the market place where you can buy leather goods, knock-offs, ets. A lot of bargaining goes on, interesting goods. Hope this helps

We are interested in this one from Sammy's for the July10 Noordam.

EPHESUS + TEMPLE Of ARTEMIS ( 07:30am & 11:30am )

You will be met by your guide at the Port of Kusadasi where you will begin your Private Ephesus Tour. First we will visit the Temple of Artemis, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world where your guide will explain to you the significance of this important site. Following this we will make our way to Ephesus which was one of the most important cultural centers of the ancient word. We will visit the Ephesus ruins, Odeon, Celcus Library and the Theatre which is still in use today for concerts and has an amazing capacity of 25,000. As we walk through this ancient site you will notice the streets paved with marble which gives a hint to this city's great wealth many years ago. Once the tour has finished visit Turkish Handycraft Production Center and shopping facilities and you will be returned to the Port of Kusadasi.

INCLUDES : Pick up & drop-off at Port of Kusadasi, A/C private transportation, Professional guide, Entrance fees. DURATION: 4 Hours

DEPARTING EVERYDAY

(Children age 0-6 are FREE)

2 people 59 usd per person

3-4 people 39 usd per person

5-7 people 29 usd per person

8-up people 24 usd per person

If you are interested in sharing, email me at tbirdjoni@bellsouth.net.

Squid 1, I would call the shore excursions at 888-425-9376 and ask them about the time spent at Ephesus. It seems all of the three tours include Ephesus but offer different things. The 6 1/2 hr tour includes lunch, the 4 1/2 hr tour includes a visit to Virgin Mary's house, the 3 1/2 hr tour includes just Ephesus. They all include a carpet demonstration which you can opt not to go and all bring you to the market place where you can buy leather goods, knock-offs, ets. A lot of bargaining goes on, interesting goods. Hope this helps

Thanks Motro. Good point. The long tour doesn't seem to spend more time in Ephesus, just a lunch. We'll go for the shorter one. :)

Archived