Booked the QM2

smeyer418

Ok I have given enough advice on RedHook so after listening to you all, I booked a balcony on the QM2 for four days...and yes I am driving(I can even street park for free since Monday is a holiday but I won't)...so tell me what is the difference between Britannia class and the other classes.. Thanks all

Sid

QM2 Booked for September

It's simple. There are three "classes" - Queen's Grill, Princess Grill and Britannia Restaurant. Based on the cabin you booked, you are assigned one of these three dining venues. If you know the cabin number it is easy to see which of these three you are in their literature, or your travel agent can tell you.

The Queen's Grill has it's own bar as well, I believe. If you booked Princess Grill, you cannot get into the Queen's Grill. If you booked Britannia Restaurant you cannot get into the Queen's Grill or the Princess Grill.

All other venues are open to all passengers on the same basis. There is no special "line" for admittance to any venue or show if you are Queen's or Princess Grill. We all intermingle on the ship and there's no way to tell what "class" you booked except when it is dinner time!

Hope this helps.

Thanks I am sure these have been asked before but...

what time can you board?

what is the room service menu like?

Can you order from the dining room when it is open?

Where are the pools and does it have an indoor one

Salt or fresh water?

Can we bring water(actual diet peach snapple) on board?

What are the shows like?

Any secrets we should know?

What is the bedding like?

Feathered pillows?

Smoking(my wife smokes not me)...

Martini Bar?

Drink Specials?

I already rented a car in Halifax for the day..

How many formal nights(hopefully one)..

Can you roll your luggage on board?

If you can get on early...when can you get into your room..Cat B2 I know its Britannia...I always wanted to go steerage(my parents came in second class not steerage)..

Thanks again ...inquiring minds want to know :)

It's simple. There are three "classes" - Queen's Grill, Princess Grill and Britannia Restaurant. Based on the cabin you booked, you are assigned one of these three dining venues. If you know the cabin number it is easy to see which of these three you are in their literature, or your travel agent can tell you. Alternatively, if your stateroom says P, you are in the Princess Grill, if it says Q you are in the Queen's Grill. All others are in the Britannia Restaurant.

The Queen's Grill has it's own bar as well, I believe. The Queen's Grill lounge is open to all 'Grill Guests' but the private sundeck on deck 11 or 12 is only open to Queen's Grill guests. If you booked Princess Grill, you cannot get into the Queen's Grill. If you booked Britannia Restaurant you cannot get into the Queen's Grill or the Princess Grill.

All other venues are open to all passengers on the same basis. There is no special "line" for admittance to any venue or show if you are Queen's or Princess Grill. We all intermingle on the ship and there's no way to tell what "class" you booked except when it is dinner time!

Hope this helps.

Thanks I am sure these have been asked before but...

what time can you board? You board by your deck. The schedule I have for an upcoming cruise allows for deck 9/10 at 12; Deck 11/12 at 12:30; Deck 8 at 1; Deck 6 at 1:30; Deck 5 at 2:30 and Deck 4 at 3pm.

what is the room service menu like? Blah - not too impressive - IMO. Ordinary food like a chicken broth and a cream of chicken soup, club sandwich, shrimp cocktail. I had breakfast in my stateroom every m orning and that was wonderful - sipping coffee on the balcony - DIVINE. Other than breakfast, IMO, the food on the room service menu should be reserved for when you are starving or so sea sick you can't leave the stateroom. There is a lot better at the King's Court!

Can you order from the dining room when it is open? I believe that is only open to the Grill guests. If you are staying in one of the Duplex suites, a Grill chef will come to your stateroom and prepare your dinner for you.

Where are the pools and does it have an indoor one There's an indoor therapy pool that you get to use if you have a therapy service (massage, etc) or you can buy a pass.

Salt or fresh water?

Can we bring water(actual diet peach snapple) on board? I don't see why not - I brought plenty of diet coke with me.

What are the shows like? Really snazzy. The Royal Court Theatre is wonderful and Don't MISS the plantarium.

Any secrets we should know? Plan your journeys around the ship. There is nothing more frustrating than to be at one end when you mean to be at the other or need something and it is 3 football fields away! If you plan to hit the slots, do it the first couple of nights when the payout odds are better.

What is the bedding like? The beds are nice - I slept well even traversing the rough Atlantic Ocean.

Feathered pillows? I know they are available. I also know there is a 'Pillow Concierge' but I don't know if that is a Grill amenity or not.

Smoking(my wife smokes not me)...There are defined non-smoking areas but you will find that the ship is much more European (not meant in a snobby way) about smoking. It is much more relaxed than the states. But, Cigs are expensive onboard and while you can buy the duty-free ones on board, they hold them and deliver them to you on the last day.

Martini Bar? Ian in the Commodore Lounge mixes a nice Martini. They have a champagne bar that is really nice.

Drink Specials? Every day - there is a different mixed drink and coffee drink of the day.

I already rented a car in Halifax for the day..Ooooooooh! We are going on the same cruise! I am doing the Fine Wines coastal tour up to the Bay of Fundy.

How many formal nights(hopefully one)..sorry - 2. Be sure to pack something for a black and white night and the Independence Day ball - sure to be marvelous!

Can you roll your luggage on board? Nope - sorry, it has to be screened. You can bring a carry on.

If you can get on early...when can you get into your room..Cat B2 I know its Britannia...I always wanted to go steerage(my parents came in second class not steerage)..Boarding is by deck, so depends which deck your B2 stateroom is on.

Thanks again ...inquiring minds want to know

Hey Smeyer418,

Good for you! Congrats on booking your cruise.:D

I have to respectfully disagree with Msk68 on your luggage question. Two gentlemen friends of mine take one roll on suitcase each onto the QM2 (they have taken several QM2 cruises). Their rolling suitcase is screened just as the carry on luggage is. They also do self disembarkation.

Maria - who is going to try this on the Labor Day cruise.;)

Thanks I am sure these have been asked before but...Where are the pools and does it have an indoor one There's an indoor therapy pool that you get to use if you have a therapy service (massage, etc) or you can buy a pass.

There is also a pool with a slide back cover. open when warm closed when old or raining

Salt or fresh water?
Salt

Any secrets we should know?

watch the ship model behind the bar in the Commodore club closely. They also make a good martini there- Ask for Paul

How many formal nights(hopefully one)..sorry - 2. Be sure to pack something for a black and white night and the Independence Day ball - sure to be marvelous!

Um- We are on the FOUR day, Labor day not FIVE day Independence.

So don't bring your red, white and blue dress, Sid. Unless it really suits you in September! <LOL>

If you can get on early...when can you get into your room..Cat B2 I know its Britannia...I always wanted to go steerage(my parents came in second class not steerage)..Boarding is by deck, so depends which deck your B2 stateroom is on.

But chances are, if you get there early, you can get on ahead of your time. I wouldn't hit right at 12- maybe 12:30 or so.

Glad you're joining us Sid. Looks like the Brooklyn posse is going strong!

What is your wife's name so we don't say "Hey You!" when we meet her!)

Karie,

who can't wait to met the great SMEYER418~

smeyer418,

Martinis at Sea? Surely one of life's more sublime experiences. Oh yes, a Martini in the Commodore Club is truly memorable. As I recall, the menu noted 2 ounces of liquor in a gin martini.

I happened to order one in the Queen's Room, (for courage to take to the dance floor). It didn't help much, as the drink was not very chilled and definitely NOT 2 ounces.

One more suggestion: If at all interested, sign up for the "martini seminar" as soon as it is posted. It is not to be missed (although somehow I managed it).

Thanks again for your help on the other thread regarding the Redhook passenger terminal.

Glad to hear you've booked. Have a great time!

Thanks all for your answers so far. My wife already booked something in the Spa.

Besides the gifts to be pre-ordered do they have a honeymoon package or something like that?

I was considering the Cheese platter with the "Cunard Port for Two" any one have that?

Do they put flowers in your room or should I pre-order some?

Thanks again

Its too bad they don't have the red white and blue thing. I could wear my electric blue tux with the white shirt red tie and red cumberbund....if you believe that I have a really nice bridge to sell you :)

PS my wife's name is Marian

Hi Sid,

Which bridge would you be selling?

Anyway, to answer you question. Flowers would have to be ordered in advance. As does any specific canape or cheese plater. Call Cunard to do this.

When we were on the January cruise, everyone received a bottle of champagne in their cabin. But I don't know if they do the same for a weekend cruise.:confused:

Maria

Do they have a honeymoon package or something like that?

Yes, if your date is within two months of your date of travel. That includes a bottle of Champagne, flowers, a photograph, a letter from the Captain (They also used to offer a free. one category, cabin upgrade - that's not in their new brochures but it might still apply to cruises booked this year). Ring Cunard to tell them you're on your honeymoon/anniversary - they might want to see a copy of your certificate to prove the date though.

Archived