corfu - car rentals

Just back - we rented a car through Budget on Corfu. We had a blast driving around and exploring. We had reserved a vehicle before we left. I would recommend having them meet you at the ship with the car. We walked to the office and it was very hot so we would have them meet us or take a taxi to the office.

Robin

We just got back from a Princess Cruise. When we got off the ship, there was a car rental place right there that charged 50 Eruos a day for their cheapest/smallest car. We thought that was too expensive (based on what I saw on this message board)

We walked to the town about 10 minutes away (when you leave the port go to the left) and there are car rental places lines up on the road. We went into the first one to get prices (sorry, I forgot the name of the company, it started with an A). The same car was only 30 Euros a day there. But there are tons and tons of places - you won't miss them!

It was DEFINITELY worth it! We drove to Paleokastritsa. There are some beaches there with the caves you can swim into or take a boat into. Then we drove up the hill to the Monastery of the virgin mary. I think it was the most beautiful place we saw on our entire cruise.

After that we drove around aimlessly for a while and ended up by the fortresses. We walked around there for a while and Corfu town and that was it.

DON'T MISS PALEOKASTRITSA!

Edited to add:

The paperwork took only 5 minutes. We paid by credit card. All we needed was a US driver's liscence. VERY EASY!

We just returned from the 12 day Brilliance med cruise. We rented a car in Corfu and I would recommend it. I rented in advance from Budget. It was about 59 euros for the day. We took a taxi from the terminal and the office was so close it cost only 3 euros. We walked back to the ship at the end of the day. We did see a rental place right in the terminal and the previous poster is correct...we saw many car rental places along the way to pick up our car. KEEP IN MIND SHIP TIME IS ONE HOUR BEHIND LAND TIME. I had told Budget we would pick up the car at 9:00 am but for them it was 10:00am. They were wondering where we were. Others we know who had rented in advance got there later and there were no more cars. So you may want to say your pick up time is 10:00am Corfu time.

We drove around the town a bit. The main part of old town was picuresque and clean. Other sections were like any other city...worn down and dirty. We drove to Glyfada beach on the other side of the island, about a 40 minuter drive. We rented 2 lounge chiars and an umbrella for 7 euros. The beach was long and sandy not small and rocky like many others. The water was heavenly. We had a good lunch at a restaurant right on the beach. After such intensive port visists our 6 hours at this beautiful beach were fantastic.

KathiB

Archived