underage teens drink alcohol

stitch78

Obviously nobody can say for sure if Carnival chose to ignore the birthdates and served minors alcholic beverages. This would not surprise me though because they do sometimes ignore things that are in violation of policy, even though they are clearly stated: such as ignoring irons in rooms, icing down large quantities of beer and so forth.

A few days ago somebody asked the question if anybody reads the guidelines for CC anymore. I must admit to not having read them since joining, but after a thread is pulled, like the one blaming CC for giving piss poor advice, is it supposed to be referred to and discussed?

I wasn't referring to the icing down of the beer only, I was speaking about the fact some folks say they bring large quantities onboard and put it in an ice chest and their stewards ice it down over the course of their cruise. My point being, if you are limited to bringing on a certain amount of beer and it is exceeded, one shouldn't be aided and abetted by Carnival staff. My point also is that they may look the other way when certain violations occur.

I wasn't referring to the icing down of the beer only, I was speaking about the fact some folks say they bring large quantities onboard and put it in an ice chest and their stewards ice it down over the course of their cruise. My point being, if you are limited to bringing on a certain amount of beer and it is exceeded, one shouldn't be aided and abetted by Carnival staff. My point also is that they may look the other way when certain violations occur.[/quote

You are not allowed to bring beer on board period. But we do. And yes the room stewards ice it down for a really good tip. What is wrong with that? They get paid and we get cold beer:)

I must have missed that thread.:confused:

OMG, You missed a good thread, She came on and told me that I gave her BAD ADVICE for telling her not to book a 9:30am flight out of Miami. Some how she was able to make it. But because she had to pay extra to book a much later flight after we told her 9:30am would be totally impossible, she came and blamed us and myself for BAD ADVICE.

So if you see the words Thats BAD ADVICE !!! Thats where it came from :D

That person to me is an Award Winning Travellist, She no longer needs advice :)

Have LauraS copy paste the transcript and have her email it to you.

Fred

Hi, All, I just wanted to say I enjoy reading these treads, its better then tv, lol. I want to say, that I love cruise critic, and all the people on here. I have learned so much, and when I get on the glory in Nov, I will be prepared for anything. This is my first cruise with carnival, had one with RC, but I want to thank you all, and keep blasting those people, who have nothing else to do but =itch.

It clearly states in CCL's policies that NO ONE under the age of 21 will be served alcohol. If this is their policy and they did in fact serve the minors then I think that those drinks should not be charged to the account. The Carnival employees should be held responsible for serving minors. They have broken the law. We have booked our family vacation this summer with two teen-age kids who I hope will NOT be served alcohol. Our kids know that drinking is an adult privilage and at the age of 21 if they choose to drink than that is their choice as an adult.

Well, Policy and Law are 2 different things, So does anyone know for sure which on it is? Is it breaking the law if a teen say 18, is drinking on a ship in international waters and the parent bought the drinks.

Well, Policy and Law are 2 different things, So does anyone know for sure which on it is? Is it breaking the law if a teen say 18, is drinking on a ship in international waters and the parent bought the drinks.

It is policy. Each cruiseline sets it's own and each is different. That being said, given that it is spelled out in the cruise contract, one could argue it is covered under contract law.

"Carnival reserves the right to refuse to serve alcohol to any passenger. Guest acknowledges that the minimum age permitted for the purchase, possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages aboard Carnival’s vessels is twenty-one (21). Guest agrees to supervise all persons under age twenty-one (21) under Guest’s charge to insure that they do not violate this, or any other, shipboard regulation. Guests who attempt to purchase alcohol by using false identification or the Sail & Sign card of a Guest who is twenty-one or older will be deemed in violation of this policy. Any Guest twenty-one or older who attempts to or purchases alcohol for any guest under twenty-one will also be deemed in violation of this policy. Guest agrees that Carnival has the right to disembark any guest who violates this policy and as well as any adults traveling with minors who violate this policy or any other shipboard regulation."

Terms like "reserves the right", and "Carnival has the right" indicates to me that Carnival will enforce the policy on a case-by-case basis. (Turn a blind eye to an underage glass of wine at dinner as opposed to throwing the whole family off the ship after their underage drunken kids do damage or violence on the ship).

...She came on and told me that I gave her BAD ADVICE for telling her not to book a 9:30am flight out of Miami. Some how she was able to make it...
There's still no guarantee she would have made it. We don't know what the traffic would have been like since she flew out of a different airport then the original early flight was out of. We also don't know what check in and security would have been like.

She still might not have made that flight, no matter how sure she was. :rolleyes:

I have to know if I'm going to H***. I let my 15yo DD have a spoonful of wine on our cruise. Her eyes got big and she said "That's GOOD!"

Also Stitch said she got to the airport by 8:30. Never mentioned what time it was when she got through ticketing and security...

Now that I think about it, should we really believe her story about getting to the airport by 8:30? She said in another thread:

"I changed my flight and ended up at the airport at 8:30 AM... mind you I changed the flight from a Miami flight to a Ft. Lauderdale flight and got to Ft. Lauderdale airport at 8:30 Am...taking Carnival shuttles , too. So we spent extra money for absolutely no reason. We were outside the cruise terminal by 7:30 - one of the first few off the ship."

Why would someone who had an afternoon flight been one of the first few off the ship? I think she posted that she was there by 8:30 just because she wants us to think it was bad advice. :rolleyes:

This is why I said that YST's thought that perhaps they swiped their parents S&S card is a good one. I think it is perfectly okay for a parent to allow their teenaged child to have or share their drink once in a while when they are in their presence, but teenagers getting drunk on a cruise ship is just plain dangerous.

That was exactly the point. I think that if my kids had consumed $1000 worth of alcohol in a week I might have actually noticed it prior to getting the bill on the last morning. I think it'd be pretty tough to miss if you took a look at them once in a while. Not that difficult to stop either if the source of the funds dries up. Could anyone really be that stupid?

Where is the OP?

I think the real question is WHICH OP?? My guess is probably on another travel message board telling everyone to book 9am flights after cruises and how to get minors drunk on Carnival. :p

That was exactly the point. I think that if my kids had consumed $1000 worth of alcohol in a week I might have actually noticed it prior to getting the bill on the last morning. I think it'd be pretty tough to miss if you took a look at them once in a while. Not that difficult to stop either if the source of the funds dries up. Could anyone really be that stupid?

I can tell you that I pull up our S&S account at least twice daily in the room and if I had kids with me that had charging privileges, it would probably be done even more. Maybe the guests didn't know about this? Honestly, I can't even spend $1000 on booze and I love my vodka, but then again, I'm only on the ship and awake for about 2 days time out of the 7 days. Maybe the kids didn't go into port and stayed on the ship drinking?? This $1000 baffles me!

We were on Liberty this past February. When I was at one of the bars, some girl came over and handed over her card. The bartender asked for her license. She said it was in her room. They told her she could not be served without her license. She was complaining about having to go to her room and get it. Bartender told me they try it all the time. She said that girl didnt even look 16. I have seen a few people ask for the license.

And as Mr Pete said, that's 166 drinks. So on a 7 day cruise, 2 people drinking 166 drinks total comes to approx 24 drinks a day, 12 drinks per person. How would parents not notice that their kids, ages 16 and 17, are absolutely drunk to bejeezuz? Maybe they were buying rounds for the bar? :p

Ms B

I guess like with all things, it depends on who is working at the bar at that time. As is always the case, some people are more dilligent about following rules than others. If you knew these kids, a bar bill of approximately $1000 would not surprise you. Quite frankly, almost nothing would. The family are friends with my sister and I do not allow my kids to be with their kids unless I am there. Even then I limit it to gatherings at my sisters house that I cannot avoid. Once, when my nephew was unavailable, one of their kids volunteered to babysit for my little one. My answer was an unequivacable no! Obviously the underlying cause to all of these issues is the parents. My sister just didn't understand why they were served at all. If they had their parents card and were dealing with a less than diligent bartender it wouldn't have been too difficult for 2 kids who manage to get into trouble anywhere they go.

By the way, I knew that stitch was the OP, I just didn't understand why everyone seemed to know so much about her. Wennfred, you cleared that all up for me. Thanks.

WOW! Got up this morning...checked on the Conquest and came here and LOL...we are still here:D Now where is Carnival/Stitch????:rolleyes:

No matter what, several times last year, my 23yo was asked for ID in addition to his S & S card. He is used to it, he serves/manages a nice Italian restaraunt. At work, he beleives better safe than sorry!

My 19 yo was asked for ID at the Captain's Party....he looks 15--but he's 6'4! No luck for him.:rolleyes:

Archived