Fairbanks Temps, Crazy!

tinydancer21

Wow that is something. What really caught my eye was the increase in gas prices! For some reason I thought you folks would catch a break with the pipeline and all. Of course I'm not far from the oil refineries and we're paying $2.20 and up here. Hope the air clears for you soon. :)

Tiny...That is WAY rude! And, do you know what the long term forecast is? I guess I can look it up on the weather channel but love having someone here that actually lives in Alaska! Although I won't be anywhere near Fairbanks.

Wow, you're hotter than we are!!!

We had wildfires from a drought 2 summers ago... I hated breathing all of that smoke! Seeing your picture just reminded me of how awful the smell was!

Actually the forcast is just smokey right now. :( They say the smoke should lift off a bit by Sunday, I hope so, I don't want it to be like this for the whole fourth of July weekend. :(
I know it is practically impossible to forecast, but what are - in your opinion - the chances of the fire & smoke to linger on for 3 to 5 weeks? We wonder if we'll be able to make our two weeks "inside" touring (the triangle of Glenn, Richardson, Parks, including 5 days in Fairbanks) starting 3 weeks from today

We're coming on Monday. I just called my TA who contacted Princess (we are doing a 5-day cruisetour beginning in Fairbanks). According to Princess the fires are north of town and they are not making any changes to their plans. :rolleyes: They did tell me some people are using masks to filter smoke but all their trips are on.

The goofiest thing of all is that I talked DH into going to Alaska because in each of the past two summers we've traveled, it's been in the 90s (Italy and NYC). I thought it would be at least a bit cooler; guess I should have read the weather statistics! Frankly I'm more worried about the smoke, as I have asthma and allergies....

I don't think the smoke will be aroudn for three weeks, in fact the wind should change and blow the fires back into themselves which would really help the effort to put them out, I think if it lasts it will only be threw next week, hopefully. :)

I saw the forecast today for the weekend, and there's a chance of rain on Sunday and Monday. It's really hard to get any word on the fires from here.

Next week's weather says it'll be in the mid-70s with some chance of showers now and then- maybe a thunderstorm (hope the lightning behaves!!!!).

Tiny,

I really hope so, for your sake too. Maybe we can see you while we're in Fairbanks and thank you for your advices (especiallly on the restaurants). We'll be in Fairbanks 7/26-7/30

Happy to hear that the smoke lifted. We were there Thursday night until Saturday morning and I am still horse from coughing so much. I can't complain too much because our first 10 days of the trip were wonderful.

Happy to hear that you can breath again!

Archived