Who has done an Eastbound Transatlantic??

hollyanna

Hi

I have just booked a 2 week cruise on P & O Oceana (formerly Sea Princess and am aware other P & O ships are of same design so olthers may be able to help woth questions below) in March 2008 with 2 kids aged 10 and 13 at the time. It happens to be right in the in school Easter holiday so the kids do not have to miss school and being so far ahead I dont know of they realise this and hence a great deal I have got.

I wanted to know firstly, what the weather might be like? I am sailing from Barbados, then to St Lucia, then to St Maarten, then Dominica and finally Antigua before 5 days at Sea. We arrive at Madeira (near portugal) on day 11 then Southampton after 3 days at sea. The date is from 14th March. I am expecting the weather to be lovely from barbados, so the first 5 days or so. I wondered how long this weather may be pleasant enough to sunbathe, swim etc after leaving Antigua (day 5) as it is early in the year so not expecting miracles once in Europe? Any experiences? Also being Easter, could we expect a good mixture in age groups compared to out of holiday transatlantic crossing? Thinking of kids mainly as we have no problems with young or more mature people (we are 39 and 48)

I have booked 2 inside cabins on deck F at front of the ship. I know these are not everyones first choice by we got a good deal and with 2 side by side cabins for 2 kids and 2 adults I thought a good option without bunks. It is on the deck where reception etc is. Wondered if anyone would suggest we move due to anticipated weather mid-atlantic?

Thanks in advance for much appreciated help.

Weather is always variable :confused: but probably, you'll have wonderful weather in the caribbean, and notice it getting cooler as you head north. By time you get to Maderia, you'll find it too cool to sunbathe on deck - especially with a 15-20 kt wind across the deck (due to the ship's speed... 23-ish knots ship speed, typically 5-10 knots westerly wind). Sometime between Antigua and Maderia will be when you decide to wrap up warm :rolleyes:

It shouldn't be rough crossing the Atlantic - by March, the winter storms are usually over - and as you are low down in the ship (deck F), it shoudn't pitch too much anyway even if you do go through some weather.

The most stable cabins are halfway between the bow and stern, low down. That said, I'll be going across the Atlantic in October in a stern cabin on deck A .... I love watching the wake!

A little further South - but we did a trans-Atlantic from Buenos Aires to Barcelona, 3-98, on the late great Royal Princess (now P&O'S Artemis).

The actual crossing was from Recife Brazil to Dakar Senegal, then up the African coast eventually into Barcelona.

The Atlantic was like a millpond - smooth as glass, and the weather fine.

Smoothest (and most southerly) of some 1/2 dozen trans-Atlantics we have done.

Love those sea days!

Hi

I have just booked a 2 week cruise on P & O Oceana (formerly Sea Princess and am aware other P & O ships are of same design so olthers may be able to help woth questions below) in March 2008 with 2 kids aged 10 and 13 at the time

I have booked 2 inside cabins on deck F at front of the ship. I know these are not everyones first choice by we got a good deal and with 2 side by side cabins for 2 kids and 2 adults I thought a good option without bunks. It is on the deck where reception etc is. Wondered if anyone would suggest we move due to anticipated weather mid-atlantic?

Thanks in advance for much appreciated help.

As long as you are aware that these are tiny cabins you will be ok (usable sq. ft. = 115 per cabin, if the service closet wedge pushes the wall in.) Look at a deck plan of the ship and find your cabin. If you can't locate on P&O, look at US Princess where Sun and Dawn still operate. All 4 of these are identical.

Thanks for all your advice everyone. It is pretty much what I was expecting regarding weather but I am quite excited with the anticipation! :rolleyes: I realise I am quite sad and it is in 2008 but you know, I am sure, how it is when you have the bug!

On sea days, do they usually provide lots of varied activities for varied ages?If so, I would be greatful for examples. Thanks again. Hollyanna:D

Hollyanna

I don't have any Patters from my trans-Atlantics, but there is always a lot to keep you entertained on those sea days. Crafts, lectures, bingo, movies, classes, galley tours, etc.

I've never had a boring day on ship - but I am content to find a comfy chair, with a good book, and watch the ocean (& people).

One shore excursion that we really enjoyed was the "street sledding" in Funchal, Madeira. A real hoot!

Thanks Michael. Sounds wonderful to me. I felt a bit worried at first that I had made a mistake with all the sea days(having 2 boys and husband in tow!) but I think, knowing the ship anyway, we will have a great time and I expect there will be a great feel of personal service and I suppose you get to know people better due to being huddled together for so long! Once thing I have picked up on is the time differences..... we fly out to Barbados which I suppose is about 5 hours behind? so will be shattered on arrival, but then as we come back we lose an hour everyday. I asume this is once out of Caribbean?..........Hope I don't feel too jet lagged to enjoy the 4 back to back ports at the beginning! Thanks again. Hollyanna

Barbados is 4 hours behind the UK, so jet lag shouldn't be too bad... that said, it depends which airline you are flying & what class you are flying in. It's about an 8-9 hour flight to Barbados, which by scheduled airline with 31" pitch between seats is ok... but if you are on a charter airline with 28" pitch it can be a bit of a tight squeeze.

On my westbound Transatlantic trip, I'm going to come back from Barbados a few days after the ship arrives and so will be flying back on a Virgin Atlantic 747 :) , "Vampire Parrot's favourite airline"

Hollyanna

Didn't catch it earlier,but I believe Oceana is former Ocean Princess.

Sea Princess, now again under her original name, was P&O's Adonia for a while.

There was another Sea Princess, a lovely ship. We did a trans-Pacific on her, Osaka Japan to Vancouver BC., way back 5-89. She had originally been Kungsholm, later was P&O's Victoria, and is now Mona Lisa.

Archived