Walking in the ruins of Tulum

cmpaula

We are cruising in August with one of the ports being Cozumel. A friend just returned from an excursion to Tulum and was surprised they were not allowed into the ruins. It was very disappointing to them and I don't want to go if you can't get "up close and personal" to the ruins. Does anyone know why we are no longer allowed in the ruins? I have read several posts here regarding Tulum but would appreciate any advice. (Besides the obvious need for sunscreen, etc.)

Many of the more popular, heavily visited Maya sites have had to adopt that policy to help preserve and maintain the ruins.

When we first visited ChichenItza, you were able to climb up a staircase inside El Castillo to a small chamber...(fascinating experience)

on top. They had to stop that because too much damage was being done.

Unfortunately, this is the same in many places around the world...

Tulum is one that you can not climb or go inside the buidlings. There are still several that you can climb or go inside although I´m not sure why it is such a big deal...Muyil, Chacchoben, Konhunlic are a couple. But as far as the ruins at Tulum go, you walk through the walls surrounding the ruins and you can go up to the structures.

We were told that the last hurricane damaged some of the structures and they were not safe for climbing. I have to agree...most did not look sound enough for 1000 of tourist climbing them daily.....The iguanas are all over them....that in itself would keep me away.

Well, the decision was made about 8 years ago to close the structures for climbing or walk thrus. It was not Emily or Wilma that had anything to do with it. They changed the design of the parking lot about 5 years ago and now cars are not allowed close to the entrance.

• 2 weeks later...
Tulum is one that you can not climb or go inside the buidlings. There are still several that you can climb or go inside although I´m not sure why it is such a big deal...Muyil, Chacchoben, Konhunlic are a couple. But as far as the ruins at Tulum go, you walk through the walls surrounding the ruins and you can go up to the structures.

:o Well, as the other poster stated...many Native American sites in both North & South America have stopped letting visitors climb the ruins due to it has slowly deteriorated the ruins.

I live in Colorado (USA) and have visited Mesa Verde (the Anasazi Indians) many times, and in the past 5+ years they have not allowed anyone to climb into any of the main ruins. Mainly due to them being slowly destroyed and they are trying to perverse them for future generations to enjoy.

You might think that just climbing around on rock/stone steps will not do any damage, but it does...not only from thousands of visitors walking on these ruins, but the natural oils from teir hands can also do extensive damage over a course of time.

Not walking into or climbing ancient ruins to me is a small price to pay..to have them remain on this Earth for others to enjoy and marvel out.

Archived