What can you tell me aobut Legend of the Seas?

My husband and I are looking at taking Legend Of The Seas during the holiday season. What can you tell me aobut the ship? We've cruised on Rhapsody and Splendour- enjoyed both cruises. What is her decor like: the dining room, pool, solarium? How is the gym? Legend has the mini gold course? Any help you can pass my way would be awesome! Gabrielle

The Legend OTS is the design twin of the Splendour OTS. Rhapsody is a bigger and later version of the duo. If you liked those 2 ships you will like the Legend. I can't talk about ship's condition since we haven't been on any of them for several years, only the Enchantment after it was stretched.

I thought the Legend was a beautiful ship and and thoroughly loved being on it this past Feb. The service was great as always on RCCI. I'm sure you will have a great time.:)

Cruiser Carol where are you? She gives the most perfect description of Legend, IMO!

I sailed on her in March and LOVED it. Decor was subtle and not loud, which was even better. The dining room is gorgeous, but we didnt eat in there because we did buffet each night.

The main pool is PACKED all day every day, and Solarium is too. But that is on any ship.

The mini golf course is need of serious refurbishment. Very lumpy course with ripped green. Plus, the wind was blowing so hard during our cruise we found it impossible to putt putt and hung up our towels after only hole 4.

Book Legend..you will LOVE it.

I think you will love it, after it's mini refit in 05 it certainly doesn't look its age, Windjammer completely refitted and many other public areas. also they have just finished the refurbishment of all the new upmarket bedding (excellent reviews of people who have experienced it in the last couple of weeks) But most of all we have found the Staff & Crew on the Legend to be some of the most friendly and efficient within RCL (Have done 24 cruises on 11 different ships with RCL).

We are booked again for the Westbound transatlantic from Southampton in October.

THANK YOU! For the information. Pretty much what I thought that the ships were similar.

Anyone have any pictures of Legend that they care to share? Gabrielle

I dont have any of mine online, but when I wanted to view some I just went to Webshots.com and searched under Legend of Seas keyword. Some great pics in there!

Hope this helps!

Thanks Oliver the Cat! I will try out Web shots! gabrielle

Hi Gabrielle...and Oliver the Cat...thanks for the wonderful compliment.

I do think Legend is abolutely beautiful. that is why it is so hard for me not to go on and on about her. I love all the views of the sea through all the walls of glass...and the beautiful atrium with the marble staircases and glass elevators going up and down. The light and brightness...and the warm and friendly atmosphere onboard. We had such a wonderful 14 day cruise on her last summer. It just surpassed anything we could have expected. I am pleased to say that most everyone sailing her since has felt the same. Of course all RC ships are gorgeous...But Legend is very intimate..you feel right at home. We are about to sail again on Legend in 6 weeks... on a different Mediterranean itinery..and with my lovely twin daughters who have never even seen a ship. I can't wait to see their faces when they go onboard and see how beautiful she is.

But before I go on...as it is quite late here in England...can I suggest you have a look at our UK chat page...where a gentleman called James has just returned from a 14 day Med Treasures cruise on Legend. Traveling with his wife and 3 children. Formerly cruising on Princess line. He has written a good review. Although He had a problem with his baby not being able to use the swimming pool due to being in nappies. something he did not notice in the brochures. As a result of his complaint... the Captain intervened. Which says a lot for the care onboard. click on www.ship-happens.co.uk/ when the site comes up...click the yellow heading cruise reviews and comments...you will see his name JAMES..and Legend. also a little bit dated..but still giving a good view of what the Legend is like check....http://www.virtualtoursusa.com/legendseas.htm

On this site... there are 360 degree pictures of the ship...giving a very good ideal of what she is like. However...as has been stated...the Legend underwent a refit last April...so many improvements. The windjammer was completely renovated with 4 or 5 separate food stations..either side... so no long lines..new furnishings and decor. A Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream added and Latte tudes coffee...and this past week all new bed frames mattresses and bedding. Also the solarium has lots of plants and greenery..and dining room new chairs and other soft furnishings. Hope this helps...will gladly answer any questions. Also on Ship happens..If you check The JUST REVIEWS section..off the home page..and scroll down to RC and Legend of the seas..you will find dozens of reviews...mine is there under August 5th..2005. I believe..14 day Med cruise.. by Carol.........All the best...will gladly answer any questions for you. Let me know if you get through OK to these Links. Regards, Carol

Carol, thank you so much for the web addresses- very helpful! Hope all is well in the UK. I miss your country- spent 5 great weeks at Oxford when I was in college. Sure was fun. Know I will get back again- some day. Thanks again! Gabrielle:rolleyes:

Carol

As always, you have been more than helpful, but I wonder if I could ask you just one more question? We are on Legend for the 14 nights preceeding your own cruise, so we're slowly working our way up to fever pitch. I have done all the virtual tours I can find, but have yet to see any evidence of a Pool Bar. Can you confirm that there is a bar in the pool area?

Many thanks

Alan

Carol

As always, you have been more than helpful, but I wonder if I could ask you just one more question? We are on Legend for the 14 nights preceeding your own cruise, so we're slowly working our way up to fever pitch. I have done all the virtual tours I can find, but have yet to see any evidence of a Pool Bar. Can you confirm that there is a bar in the pool area?

Many thanks

Alan

Hi Grumm...Most definitely a pool bar. Take the forward lifts to deck 9. It brings you to the entrance to the windjammer Cafe...which would be behind you as you left the lift. In front of you...There are also 2 sets of doors on either side of the stairs taking you out on deck. the pool bar is on the starboard side..just outside the Windjammer exit. I will see if I can locate some photos anywhere for you. Cheers, Carol

Hi Grumm...Most definitely a pool bar. Take the forward lifts to deck 9. It brings you to the entrance to the windjammer Cafe...which would be behind you as you left the lift. In front of you...There are also 2 sets of doors on either side of the stairs taking you out on deck. the pool bar is on the starboard side..just outside the Windjammer exit. I will see if I can locate some photos anywhere for you. Cheers, Carol

Hi Again...I just thought grumm...in case I misunderstood...It is a normal bar alongside the pool area...not one of those bars where you actually have seats in the pool and the bar overhangs it. There is also another bar in the solarium pool area..where hotdogs/hamburgers/pizza/and fries are served at different times. Regards, carol

My husband and I are looking at taking Legend Of The Seas during the holiday season. What can you tell me aobut the ship? We've cruised on Rhapsody and Splendour- enjoyed both cruises. What is her decor like: the dining room, pool, solarium? How is the gym? Legend has the mini gold course? Any help you can pass my way would be awesome! Gabrielle

Hi Again Gabrielle, I am glad those websites were of some help. I did find, however, that although part of my review was there on "ship Happens"..it had been mixed with other replies I had given after the original post. So not the best summary of Legend..and not complete. Just a thought.. If you want lots of information...you can click on my Name..next to the photo of my little Eddie dog..and it will bring up all the posts on cruise critic..that I have been involved in or started. Invariably they are mainly to do with Legend. So loads of stuff there...BUT...not only from Me.. Others Points of View.. as well!!

In 6 weeks I will be onboard again...and can better state how things appear. But Last year when we sailed on July 30th....Legend had been in the Uk a couple of months..any teething problems had been sorted. things ran like clock work. She had also been in refit in April in Lisbon...and looked in pristine condition...with many new features and renovations. what struck me first...was how immaculate she was. cleaning and polishing never ceased the entire cruise. Every stairway had lovely works of art..handrails gleaming... carpets spotless. When you reached deck 4 and saw all the light coming through all the walls of glass and the airy open feel...it was just wonderful. There was Southampton all around you.. no matter where you walked.You always had a view. At sea..it was amazing. The champagne Terrace area in the Centrum ..with the beautiful marble staircases..and seating.. was so stylish. the furnishings were in shades of a salmon pink..with pale aqua on the outside areas. It was so open and airy. Lots of polished wood...and brass.Plants and palms..a piano and stage where music is enjoyed both day and night by various singers and musicians. We enjoyed a quiet drink here several evenings..listening to a wonderful trio...with all the lights it is gorgeous..watching the glass elevators going up and down...and the world pass by.

The dining room is very glamourous.. with a winding staircase down the middle...and set on 2 levels. We had a window seat...where fantastic sunsets took place during dinner. The huge expanses of glass..and mirrors.. allowed for reflections of those above on the balcony to be seen. the food was very good and the service excellent. In the windjammer...All the decor was new... seating.. furnishings...In Shades of blues.As you walked in it was wonderfully bright and cheerful. Displays of carved fruits..and flower decorations greeted you. Either side are several food stations that have duplicate items..so no need to form a line...or cut across..upsetting the flow of traffic. Sections with hot foods/vegs.... Breads and soups..salads/sandwiches...desserts/ fresh fruits. A carvery counter..and pasta. It was like a lovely restaurant...not the pool cafe we expected. Seating was beautifully arranged all around a massive picture window of glass. The Panoramic views over the bow of the ship were amazing. We ate at various times..so never had to wait for a seat..always had a place for 2..and always by a window. The very first lunch..we saw dolphins leaping. This was one of my favourite places onboard. In the evening...the atmospere is very cosy and romantic. the lights dim..and individual lamps are place on each table. We had several meals here. the officers also dine in the windjammer. Very, very pleasant.

Both the solarium area... and normal pool deck are nicely styled. The all glass solarium roof, however, did not open during our cruise.....someone has stated that it never does. That I cannot confirm. However, We had lots of very windy weather..so the solarium was a great retreat. It does get very busy. Inside... it Felt very garden like. We have conservatories here in England...Glass porches. It felt very much like that. All glass...the sea everywhere around you...and lots of palms.. plants..and greenery..wrapped around some very Greek like columns. A wonderful setting.The chairs had green cushions...and there were many types. A hot tub was located either side of the pool. Deckchairs all around this area. On the outer edges as you enter from the pool deck... there are very comfortably padded straight chairs with foot stools. They line the windows..for a wonderful relaxing view. Then as you get further along the windows... near the pool area..you now have tables and chairs. There is a Bar at the rear. Also coffee/tea/ etc. and the hotdogs and snacks.

The open pool deck is where I spent most of my time. Mainly Wandering around on deck 10..people watching below and listening to the island music played by the resident reggae band. It was wonderful...Definitely lets you know you were on a cruise. We had 5 sea days..and each of them featured a bar b que by the pool. We also had one on the day sailing from gibralter..as we departed at noon. It was amazing. there was P & O Arcadia alongside us... as we slipped from our mooring. Sea Princess waiting to take our slot...the giant" Rock"... a backdrop for all 3 of us. The Island music playing..everyone on deck of our ship..and on deck of sea Princess. A bar b que of steaks, chicken, baked potatoes, corn on the cob, and salads. It Couldn't get any better...Just fantastic.

The mini golf...I watched being played..but never took part. I am sure my kids will this trip. I know it gets a combination of compliments...as being fun. but complaints as well..due to the high wear and tear. It damages easily. Yhe rock climbing wall is great...Fun to Watch. A great tip..Just below the rock climbing wall... is a small private deck area for sunbathing with the best cushioned deck chairs onboard. I don't tend to sit much. But this was a prime location. with views upwards to the rock wall..and outwards to the ships wake. It is Also accessible from inside the ship. Just pass thru the solarium area towards the bar at the rear...then through the spa treatment area.. and out the rear doors...onto the deck.

We also loved the viking Crown lounge...my husband smoked his cigars there. Again amazing views and truly beautiful at night..especially from the pool deck when you looked back to see it all in lights.The That's entertainment theatre is gorgeous...with a glass sculpure and chandeliers. All the seats are very comfortable...and offer a great view of the show. The Anchors Away Lounge..was very special. It had portholes for windows..and a glass figure of a ship..with all the posters of the Great Liners of the past. Really a very nostalgic feel of ball rooms of days gone by. A true elegance. the Captains Cocktail party was held here.

The gym, I intend to try this time. It appeared to be very nice.. a reasonable amount of equipment. I did read one comment that the equipment was not that good. But it is the only complaint I have heard. I am afraid I am not in a position to say yes or No. There were sea views in the gym as well...and it looked like fun to exercise and watch the sea.

As you have sailed on splendour, you will know the size and the layout...and perhaps Legend will have a similiar feel. They are both sister ships...I think from looking at photos..that Legend might be a little bit lighter in coloring. But it is hard to tell...as decors have changed over the years. I don't know Rhapsody. As you enjoyed both your cruises...then you should certainly enjoy Legend... She is a lovely Warm and frriendly ship...that epiiitomizes to me what a cruise is all about. As I say, in 6 weeks I will return with my kids...I hope the atmosphere will be just the same. All reports recently..suggest it will. AND...Captain Nik has just returned from his vacation...He is a wonderfully funny...and also very caring and genuine man. who likes nothing better than to stroll the decks chatting with the passengers. He has many words of wisdom he will happily pass your way as well.

I will certainly send an update after our cruise August 5th. I still can't believe we are going. We are 3 large Oceanview cabins on Deck 3. We had this location last year...and it was fine. Our daughters and their fellas have connecting cabins. We are treating them for their 21st birthday...as well as,one daughters' engagement...and Hubby and I... 25th wedding anniversary. All the Best, Carol

Hi Carol and all,

I was on Legend from June 10th to 24th just gone, and she is a very nice ship indeed, she does lack some of the amenities of the larger newer ship but that isnt a major problem, we were on deck 7 D1 balcony and that was great, the room was ideally sized for mine and my families needs.

There was a problem with the nappies situation with my daughter, but there is nothing that can be done about that, but I will be taking it up with RCI themselves as per the Captains instructions, I met with teh Captain on a several occasions and were on first name terms come the end!

The majorirty of staff are excellent and the dinig room is superb, it oozes class and style, much better than my previous ships.

Overall a great cruise on a very nice ship, however, she is starting to show her age in soem areas, the mini golf has been mentioned many times before, also she is rusting in a few public areas whilst surface rust is something that is seen on all ships when it is on your bal;cony and paint peeling in many places it doesnt look great!

Anyway, anyopne that sails on her soon will have a great holiday I am sure.

James

Hi Carol

We are from the UK & are thinking of doing a Transatlantic cruise on Legend in Dec 07.We are unsure how the weather will be crossing the Atlantic from the Canaries to the Caribbean at that time of year.

Can you give me details of the UK chat page.

We have only cruised with Celebrity before,I wonder how different RCL is to Celebrity

Thanks

Robin Hood (That should give a clue to where we live)

Hi Carol

We are from the UK & are thinking of doing a Transatlantic cruise on Legend in Dec 07.We are unsure how the weather will be crossing the Atlantic from the Canaries to the Caribbean at that time of year.

Can you give me details of the UK chat page.

We have only cruised with Celebrity before,I wonder how different RCL is to Celebrity

Thanks

Robin Hood (That should give a clue to where we live)

Hi Robin Hood,

You will love the westbound transatlantic, you gain 6 hours if you start in Europe or 5 if you start in the UK and the weather gets warmer each day as you approach the Caribbean/Florida. we have done 12 transatlantic crossings and have always enjoyed the westbound the most, we are taking the Legend again in October this year.

We lived in Nottingham before we recently moved!!.

Friar Tuck!!

Hi Robin Hood,

You will love the westbound transatlantic, you gain 6 hours if you start in Europe or 5 if you start in the UK and the weather gets warmer each day as you approach the Caribbean/Florida. we have done 12 transatlantic crossings and have always enjoyed the westbound the most, we are taking the Legend again in October this year.

We lived in Nottingham before we recently moved!!.

Friar Tuck!!

I notice that you list your residence as split between Nottingham (UK) and Kissimee (Orlando area) Are you UK citizens with a long distance winter abode or expatriats from the US?

Whenever we visit the Disney complex at Lake Buena Vista we always meet many UK citizens on a long holiday.

We live in the suburbs of NYC with a winter place in southern Fla.

I notice that you list your residence as split between Nottingham (UK) and Kissimee (Orlando area) Are you UK citizens with a long distance winter abode or expatriats from the US?

Whenever we visit the Disney complex at Lake Buena Vista we always meet many UK citizens on a long holiday.

We live in the suburbs of NYC with a winter place in southern Fla.

We are UK citizens but have had a Villa in Kissimmee(15 minutes from Disney) for 11 years now, but have spent the winters over there for the last 6 years, we cruise both ways and that works just fine for the dates because although we own a property there we are not allowed to stay in the US for more than 180 days a year which is unfortunate but they are the US immigration laws but we love the Florida sunshine in the winter as I am sure you do.

We are UK citizens but have had a Villa in Kissimmee(15 minutes from Disney) for 11 years now, but have spent the winters over there for the last 6 years, we cruise both ways and that works just fine for the dates because although we own a property there we are not allowed to stay in the US for more than 180 days a year which is unfortunate but they are the US immigration laws but we love the Florida sunshine in the winter as I am sure you do.

Also, US tax laws. I am a CPA (NYS), like a UK chartered accountant. We have a villa in Boynton Beach, Palm Beach County.

Hi There

Where in Nottm did you live? Did you move to Lincs recently? Where abouts? Do you miss the big city?

It must be great spending 6 months here & 6 months in the States,especially with cruising in between. I would love to be able to do the same.Maybe one day

Anyway, I have a special birthday in Dec 07,that is why we are interested in the transatlantic cruise on the Legend,although if you look in the new Jan07-Mar08 RCL brochure it lists on page 85,Westbound T/A 15 nights from Barcelona on Dec 1st,as Splendour.I have checked & it is definately the Legend not Splendour.

Your comments will be appreciated

Cheers

Robin of Radcliffe on Trent

Hi There

Where in Nottm did you live? Did you move to Lincs recently? Where abouts? Do you miss the big city?

It must be great spending 6 months here & 6 months in the States,especially with cruising in between. I would love to be able to do the same.Maybe one day

Anyway, I have a special birthday in Dec 07,that is why we are interested in the transatlantic cruise on the Legend,although if you look in the new Jan07-Mar08 RCL brochure it lists on page 85,Westbound T/A 15 nights from Barcelona on Dec 1st,as Splendour.I have checked & it is definately the Legend not Splendour.

Your comments will be appreciated

Cheers

Robin of Radcliffe on Trent

Yeah, your right it is the Legend on the 1st, nice itinary, but as yet RCL are not offering any flights with the cruise, if you do your own, as you know you can get to Barcelona very cheaply but I think you will find a flight back from Santa Domingo very expensive, but good luck. We will be the Navigator for the crossing in Nov 07.

Lived in Nuthall, moved to small village nr Sleaford(Anwick), don't really miss the big city now we are retired, nice and quiet where we are and very relaxing, just thinking of getting back to the Florida winter sunshine.

Archived