Port Canaveral on July 1st - Shuttle Launch

lxh11

Don't know if this has already been discussed. Anyone given any thought as to how much extra time to build in to get to the port on Saturday. The shuttle launch is at 3:48pm and the Beachline will be bumper to bumper.

Don't know if this has already been discussed. Anyone given any thought as to how much extra time to build in to get to the port on Saturday. The shuttle launch is at 3:48pm and the Beachline will be bumper to bumper.

Yes - there have been a few threads on the topic.

Here is a link to our roll call (for the Glory July 1st sailing that you are also on!)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=245348

Tom

The Glory. I just called the Kennedy Space Center and spoke to a customer service person. They recommend getting over the causeway by 9:00am, or being stuck in traffic!! Fortunately we live in Orlando so an early start is not a problem.

Uh-oh....This has me a little worried now...we were planning on driving up from Miami and Leaving around 7:30 am which would put us in the area at around 10:30 - 11:00...Should we plan on leaving earlier?? Since we booked late I haven't been able to find any hotels in the cocoa beach area...and there fore can't drive up the night before...What should I do?

I'm hoping the launch gets scrubbed due to weather or tech problems. But traffic will be a serious nightmare. I wonder if the ship will delay sailing if too many people are stuck in traffic.

I'm hoping the launch gets scrubbed due to weather or tech problems. But traffic will be a serious nightmare. I wonder if the ship will delay sailing if too many people are stuck in traffic.

Well... they will delay IF some of those bought the CARNIVAL insurance - AND if they are being bussed in from the Orlando airport on a CCL chartered shuttle. Because in those cases, CCL would need to cover their hotel and the airfare to Cozumel so that they can meet up with the ship. (this would have to be compared to the LOSS of $ if they are not on the ship drinking and gambling...:D )

They have been leaving somewhat late the last few weeks already (as late at 5:30 on the 17th...)

While I prefer NOT to have the major traffic issues associated with a shuttle launch, I don't mind dealing with it IF they are able to fire that baby up!!!

Tom

Archived