Passports for a child

jamnvick

We are planning a family cruise next summer and are planning on bringing my husband's stepson from his first marriage. To clarify the family tree, when my husband met his first wife she had a son from a previous relationship. The biological father is a deadbeat dad who she is now unable to locate. My husband is the only father figure he has, so he is part of our family despite the divorce.

On the passport application, there is an area to explain if his mother is unable to locate the "sperm donor" and get the passport. My question is, will the biological father's name appear anywhere on the passport?

A passport isn't like a birth certificate. The only information a passport has on it is the person's name, place of birth, date of birth, passport number, place of issue, date of passport and date of expiration of passport and a picture of the passport holder. There's nothing with a family tree.

Double check with the Passport issuing authority, you may need to bring a letter (notorized) by the boy's mother for you and your husband to take him out of the country. The cruise lines may never ask for it but it will be better to have it then to have problems occur during the trip. The letter is a requirement that was added to help prevent non custodial parents for abducting their children and taking them overseas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We just booked our 7th cruise, and this is the first time, but they did ask if we were the childrens biological parents. Better safe than sorry!

:confused: Geez, that's not a very good way for them to phrase that question. My daughter is adopted (at birth-we brought her home from the hospital) so the honest answer to that question is no, we are not her biological parents. However DH & I are legally listed on her birth certificate and we are the only parents she has or knows. It's nobody else's business if she's ours biologically, adopted, or dropped off from the stork as long as its all legal.

Sorry to hijack, just a little rant. :o

• 2 months later...

OK, yesterday my friend and I took Baby_G to get her passport photos taken. Now, Baby_G was in melt-down mode during this process, so I had to make faces to have Baby_G look at the camera. My friend's hands are in her photo, supporting my daughter. Is this a problem? There was no other way to support her "up-right" other than taking the photo in her car seat, and that would obstruct the "white background" requirement.

Someone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Lady & Baby_G

My friend's hands are in her photo, supporting my daughter. Is this a problem? There was no other way to support her "up-right" other than taking the photo in her car seat, and that would obstruct the "white background" requirement.
You could put a white sheet or towel over the car seat then put G in the seat. That way the background would be white.

Nope, my son's passport looks just like mine. Only his picture is better looking. :D
If that's his picture in your avatar, that is one great looking kid! Congratulations.

Lady Gamecock,

Get another photo because if it doesn't work, it'll be a pain to reapply.

My babies' passport pictures were taken on a bouncy seat covered with a white sheet. Be aware that they want the eyes open and both ears showing. One of mine didn't show an ear and they warned me it might not fly but it did. Don't risk it though. Don't pay for the pic unless it meets the requirements.

It's also a good idea later on to bring something with a more dated picture. Go get a DMV id card. They change so much and those passports are good for 5 years. We're also French citizens so U.S. immigration ends up inspecting my French documents too, just because the photos are better.

Technically, they're not supposed to but I'm not going to cause any problems!!!

hth!

http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

(since the subject is relevent to a lot of you!)

Archived