how many outfits?

TracersQQ

Do you take a different outfit for every night or do you wear the same thing twice? Since I'm cruising in Jan., I've been waiting for the sales, this summer, to pick up some things. This past weekend I bought 2 dresses (not formal), a swimsuit cover up, a running suit and a couple tops to wear with shorts. So getting back to my question, I will have a total of 3 dinner dresses (I don't look right in slacks, so I'll be wearing dresses for dinner) and 2 formal dresses. Do you think I need to buy 2 more dinner dresses or can I get away with wearing a dress more than once? One of the dresses is black - no print or other colors, just solid black - so I thought if I wore different jewelry or even a scarf or shawl, I could wear that twice. One more thing, I bought a running suit on clearance - I only paid $7 for each piece (jacket and pants). What is your opinion of wearing a running suit for the 2 travel days. I think it'll be OK for the plane, but what about once I'm on the ship? That way, since it'll be warm in Miami, I can take the jacket off. Or will everyone else be a little more dressed up? I had several friends and family members tell me to make sure I had a nice running suit to travel in.

I wear black pants on casual and informal nights, so I pair those with different tops each night. I usually pack 2 pair of black pants, having them cleaned in between wearings.

Dresses are a bit more difficult to mix and match, but I think you could do it. I would say that you could get by with the same dress on the first and last nights of the cruise, changing the accessories. Then, wear the black dress on two different nights, again changing out the accessories. All you have left is your formal nights and the most memorable of the dresses for one additional night.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing the same clothes twice. Unless a piece is eye-catching and memorable, no one but you will even notice you've done it.

You probably do need the running suit for your travels, perhaps take a pair of shorts to change into in your carry on, then reverse that and take the longer pants in your carry on. I'd not change in the plane, but perhaps in the bathroom at the aiport before takeoff. It also depends on the weather in Miami in January, they can have cool weather, too.

For a 7 night cruise, this tends to be my dinner outfit plan:

2 nights are formal (I do cocktail dresses for that)

on casual nights I'll wear either khaki or crisp white pants paired with a pretty camisole and cardigan (very convient for cold dining rooms/walking around a breezy deck, but easy to take off when dancing)

on semi-formal nights (if you have them) I'll either wear a skirt, or the same pants but a dressier top.

Basically, what I'd recommend is bringing pieces (especially the bottom pieces) in basic neutrals, and that way mixing and matching is easy. Also, having a basic color on the bottom allows you to mix in a brighter more fun top, or vice versa. You said you don't look right in pants, but only talked about dresses. What about skirts? I think those might be a nice option for you.

If you'd like to stick with the dresses, a good way to camoflage that it's the same dress is to play up the accessories. A nice scarf wrapped around the waist one night can work wonders and add color. A cardigan or wrap another night will give it another look. etc...

Good luck and have a great time :D

Oh, and as for your running suit, I've seen people board in shorts (which I consider to be just as casual as running suits, not that either are bad), and people de-bark in bathrobes (leave out an extra pair of clothes the last night, you will be sorry the next day if not), so you'll be fine wearing that for travelling.

EEEKKK!! I should so stay away from this post, because I am the wrong person to ask ...BUT:

I take a different outfit for each night with full accessories.:eek:

Travel day will be something cute, but comfy, and yes I would wear IT twice.(Definately bring shorts in carryon though)

I LOVE, LOVE love to dress so like I said, I will have a different dinner outfit each night.

Now, we will not even discuss the fact that that does NOT include disco wear, casual wear, beach wear.... you get the picture....:rolleyes:

Also there will be a helicopter arriving sometime before sail away with my shoes and handbags......

With all of that being said, I know I am not exactly frugal when it comes to packing and nor do I claim to be. I also do not notice whether or not something is worn twice or more on a person.( Well unless it is blatently vulgar, then I might notice..:o )

What I do notice is how someone feels in their clothing, because that does show. A woman who is confident and secure in her own skin.. that I notice more than anything. ;)

I f you like to shop... BUY MORE!!!! It's a great excuse I say!

If not, then get the essentials that look great and be done.;)

I used to always pack just like desperatehousewife, but as I get older and more experienced, I now cut back to the bone.

It does take a while to learn just how to pack lighter, the first part of it is mental, to get over yourself making an entrance, I suppose.

Everything about packing light and re-wearing clothes is easier, from the initial packing, hauling, organizing, repacking and less laundry when you get home. I think we just got tired of being pack mules and bringing home clean clothes. The best part about re-wearing clothes is....less shoes.

I know a lot of the ladies here shudder at the thought of packing light and wearing an item twice, but try it sometime, start with a shorter trip at first. You'll see how much more pleasant travel can be without so much "stuff" along.

On a recent cruise, we met an older, retired couple who were the most delightful people and had travelled widely around the world. They had just returned from a 14 day cruise in the Orient, arrived home to pick up new bags and go on the QM2 3 day cruise (same day), were going home on Saturday and leaving Monday for Rio, for a 14 day South American cruise. I questioned her about the packing, thinking it would be such a hassle. She told me they had packed three seperate sets of carryons, one for each cruise, plus one tote bag with other essentials. That's all they ever take with them, no matter how long they are gone. The husband rents a tux on each cruise, she takes only one long, black skirt and top and changes accessories. They are my (travelling) heros.

suppose.

The best part about re-wearing clothes is....less shoes.

I know a lot of the ladies here shudder at the thought of packing light...

Yes!!

I will close my eyes, click my ruby red shoes at the heel three times and pray that I will be transported to a place that those words will NEVER be said aloud!!!!:D

I'll be back in a minute.. I need to turn off the A/C because I can't get rid of the shivers!!!!!!

( Said in a whisper so no one will hear her say it..)

" Happy ks, I am proud of you.";)

I too do the mix n match. I wear black capris with dressy cami type tops for casual nights. I take cocktail dress for formal night...2 if 7 day. I take 2 pairs of shorts and a few shirts/tanks if going to Caribbean as I wear bathing suit with a coverup most of day. I take 2 capris in case embarkation is cool and for at night on ship. I take 3 pairs of shoes..1 dressy strappy black sandal for formals, 1 black kitten heel/flip type shoe for casual nights, and a pair of flip flops. ..oh wait I have a pair of sneakers/slip on clogs if I am flying. I take a small bag(tiny) which I use for formal and casual. Thats about it.

I no longer even do tons fo jewlery. I take a pair of crystal type chandelier earrings for formal night and large thin silver hoops for all other nights.

Thats it.

EEEKKK!! I should so stay away from this post, because I am the wrong person to ask ...BUT:

I take a different outfit for each night with full accessories.:eek:

Travel day will be something cute, but comfy, and yes I would wear IT twice.(Definately bring shorts in carryon though)

I LOVE, LOVE love to dress so like I said, I will have a different dinner outfit each night.

Now, we will not even discuss the fact that that does NOT include disco wear, casual wear, beach wear.... you get the picture....:rolleyes:

Also there will be a helicopter arriving sometime before sail away with my shoes and handbags......

With all of that being said, I know I am not exactly frugal when it comes to packing and nor do I claim to be. I also do not notice whether or not something is worn twice or more on a person.( Well unless it is blatently vulgar, then I might notice..:o )

What I do notice is how someone feels in their clothing, because that does show. A woman who is confident and secure in her own skin.. that I notice more than anything. ;)

I f you like to shop... BUY MORE!!!! It's a great excuse I say!

If not, then get the essentials that look great and be done.;)

Ohhhh . . . it's so nice to know I'm not the only one! I love to shop for cruise clothes and you are right . . . what a fantastic excuse to "buy more" . . .

I pack an outfit for each night because I enjoy getting dressed in something different every night. But I pack lightweight clothes that roll easily. My cocktail dresses are slinky and knit, with some rhinestones or sparkles, that I can roll up and put into ziplock bags (so sparkles don't get on the rest of my clothes). I'll take my black knit gauchos with a knit top and several sundresses, wear capris and cami to board and add a jacket for dinner the first night. I have a really cute reversible sundress that I got at Target a few years ago that has totally different fabric on the inside, so even though it's the same style it's like having two dresses. I usually pack a nice "running suit" that I can wear to breakfast if it's cool and also use in the gym or walking the track. I did find, though, that I needed way less shorts than I had packed, as I mostly was in swimsuits and cover-ups during the day, I could have used only two or three pairs for a seven day cruise. Honestly, you will be fine in whatever you choose, I couldn't even tell you what my tablemates wore except for formal nights when we took photos with them.

I love clothes and love to dress up so I tend to pack a different outfit for each day.However I can say that I do not remember what anyone else wore, so if someone repeated an outfit I doubt it will noticed if at all.

By all means you can wear the same dress twice. Like you, I don't wear many pants. I pack skirts - and will wear the same one twice with different tops. Like the previous poster said, I don't remember what my tablemates wear. The only time I noticed was when a tablemate wore a pantsuit the first night. I took notice because I have the identical suit and had in fact worn it on the flight down. I really noticed though when she wore the same outfit the entire 7 day cruise.:eek:

[ I took notice because I have the identical suit and had in fact worn it on the flight down. I really noticed though when she wore the same outfit the entire 7 day cruise.:eek:

Now that is packing "light";) . My husband is starting to wonder how much I am packing 'cause each shopping trip style show is premised with the "it's for the cruise" statement. Plus I keep telling him we need to shop for more luggage:D .

Do you take a different outfit for every night or do you wear the same thing twice? Since I'm cruising in Jan., I've been waiting for the sales, this summer, to pick up some things. This past weekend I bought 2 dresses (not formal), a swimsuit cover up, a running suit and a couple tops to wear with shorts. So getting back to my question, I will have a total of 3 dinner dresses (I don't look right in slacks, so I'll be wearing dresses for dinner) and 2 formal dresses. Do you think I need to buy 2 more dinner dresses or can I get away with wearing a dress more than once? One of the dresses is black - no print or other colors, just solid black - so I thought if I wore different jewelry or even a scarf or shawl, I could wear that twice. One more thing, I bought a running suit on clearance - I only paid $7 for each piece (jacket and pants). What is your opinion of wearing a running suit for the 2 travel days. I think it'll be OK for the plane, but what about once I'm on the ship? That way, since it'll be warm in Miami, I can take the jacket off. Or will everyone else be a little more dressed up? I had several friends and family members tell me to make sure I had a nice running suit to travel in.

I sometimes wear a pantsuit twice on casual nights. I make sure though there have been at least 2 days in between. something like a navy pantsuit-no one will notice you wore it twice.

I pack one pair of nice black slacks and two very different tops/twin sets.

For formal nights, I normally choose long dresses and have several that pack easily and wear well. I will also pack an LBD or short cocktail dress for a night in the specialty restaurant.

The other two nights are a pretty dress or a dressy skirt and top. I am partial to jersey and silk chiffons for travel as they are light and rarely need any touch ups.

I try to limit dress shoes to three pair :eek: and always wear heels in the evenings. Two evening clutches and I am good to go for dinner attire.

I pack one pair of nice black slacks and two very different tops/twin sets.

For formal nights, I normally choose long dresses and have several that pack easily and wear well. I will also pack an LBD or short cocktail dress for a night in the specialty restaurant.

The other two nights are a pretty dress or a dressy skirt and top. I am partial to jersey and silk chiffons for travel as they are light and rarely need any touch ups.

I try to limit dress shoes to three pair :eek: and always wear heels in the evenings. Two evening clutches and I am good to go for dinner attire.

Sounds good to me. I do try to wear similiar enough dresses on the 2 formal nights that I only need to bring one pair of dress shoes or sandals and one evening purse. I have dress sandals/shoes in gold, silver, black and champagne-so usually the shoes will work with both. I do that just to cut down on packing.

Archived