Just back from SB Island Princess 6/19-26-Alaska

mmo

some random thoughts from the trip: we had a great time, nice ship, Dolphin 501 was a good room, showers are very small-like 30 x 30"-even the comedian on ship was ripping them !! but we didn't have a mini-suite which I guess has a tub also. I found putting a lot of stuff in ziplock bags helped and then put them on the shelves in bathroom where they stayed put

-if you request a robe for the week in your room you can take it home-it's just a basic one but still okay--we asked like 50 times if they were sure we could take it and they said yes!

-early traditional was too early 5:30 pm, esp if you ate a late breakfast and lunch, dinner just came around too soon! I would try personal choice next time or late seating. We only used dining room once for breakfast, went up to Horizon Court for breakfast/lunch--at the Pizza stand the day they served white pizza was a favorite! Be warned, they tell you they have ice cream but you have to pay for it at that stand--we were on Carnival last year and it was just available w/ toppings w/o charge, on Island it was $3.75 for a sundae---apparently if you wait till it closes around 3:30 pm they then put ice cream out on the Horizon buffet. At dinner the raspberry ice cream was great!

-to be honest we were disappointed in the college fjords and glacier bay part of the cruise--just didn't realize it wasn't going to be all glaciers, shining white and blue, like the picture posted of the ship going thru (!!) but lots of brown/green mountains w/ glaciers partway down on them-the blue color on the cleaner parts of the glaciers was lovely--please, don't jump over me for the comments, it's just what we perceived. We had done the Prince William Sound tour of the fjords in Whittier before boarding ship, it was GREAT-got very close to some glaciers, pilot put the tip of the boat almost under one of the amazing waterfalls-we really enjoyed that trip so didn't mind the glacier disappointment so much!

-Skagway was great, we highly recommend the train/bus tour we took w/ Chilkoot Tours-it was fantastic-Emerald lake is something else!

-Whale watching w/ Capt Larry at Orca enterprises was wonderful--he really is a cool, interesting guy, Capt Shaun went out w/ us also so it was like getting 2 for the price of 1!! They really know their stuff.

-Didn't book anything for Ketchikan which was okay, when they say it rains there A LOT they aren't kidding, gray, overcast and rain all day-many plane trips were cancelled. We just walked around town and then went back to relax on boat. This is the day to do laundry, room was empty as opposed to first day on ship when all of us that did land tours tried to get stuff done before sailing!!!! Machines cost $1, quarters only, change machine there but it was ripping off some people. I took Wisk tablets on trip and it worked fine. They also have stuff for sale to wash with.

-we overpacked--trust me, take out half your stuff, save your back! Everyone was pretty casual on the trip--half and half for the formal nights, we had one at our table in tux, my DH in suit, other 2 men in golf shirts and it didn't bother us at all. If I were packing now I'd take 1 pair jeans, 2 pair windpants (they were the best thing we took), 2-3 tee's, 1 turtleneck, one crew sweater, one cardigan, 1 fleece lined but lighter weight jacket, maybe 1 sweatshirt, 1 pair shorts,1 pair sandels, 1 pair sneakers, 1 pair dress shoes, 1 pair dressy black pants or skirt and one or 2 dressy tops. We took and never used gloves and hats, it was mostly 50-60's on our trip. Jacket should have hood. White crew socks, underthings.....remember, they have washers and dryers onboard!!! It took forever to unpack and put away the things we didn't use. Next time, DH might rent the tux as the man at our table did, got the tux, 2 shirts, shoes and sox and didn't have to haul it, ready in room when he got there.

-we went on land tour ourselves b4 trip and it was great--Alaska is incrediably easy to drive, we would highly recommend Bill and Grace's Freedom Hill B&B in Talkeetna, we booked it thru TalkeetnaTravel.com, if Bill happens to cook when you are there rather than the continental breakfast you are in for a treat as in off season he is a cook on the north slopes of the oil fields! Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge worth a stop for some refreshment on their back deck, the view is amazing. Roadhouse for breakfast, trust me, order the 1/2 portions. Talkeetna is a tiny, tiny town, not a lot there but still fun to walk around, go down by the river.

-Denali National Park tour thru them, the park itself, is very good. We saw a lot, had a great time, get a sandwich made at the 24 hour Subway b4 you go, you eat on the bus when it stops somewhere, take some snacks and your drinks also. We took the 6am tour which was great. Did the Cabin night dinner at McKinley Chalet=used toursaver coupon-it was fun.

-Anchorage is a cool town and VERY easy to navigate, we picked up a map at the ULU Factory store that was super.

-Drive to Seward was lovely. Went to Exit Glacier, very interesting. Had the best, to die for, crab bisque at Chinook's restaurant down on the waterfront--if they would only give the recipe out!!

-Easy drive from Seward to Whittier-not much in Whittier but do the fjord tour if you can, we went out @ 1:30 and back to board ship @ 5:30--nice lunch and then warm chocolate chip cookies as a later snack! Again used the toursaver coupon.

-so, those are some random thoughts--Alaska was beautiful even when cloudy and overcast. Just don't overpack, you truly won't use it all!!

Steward told us and then 2 different people at the Pursers desk--trust me, we asked a lot! They weren't the big, terrycloth fluffy robes, more a lightweight cotton!! Yikes, you'll hear me yell if we get charged for the one we have, but we did ask if for sale and were told could take w/o charge! It doesn't make sense to me, but hey, if that's the worst thing then it's a good day!!!

Archived