Is it true: Can't go on RC after 24 weeks pregnant??

I'm not sure why anyone would want to go cruising when they are pregnant. For the first 20 or so weeks, you're likely to be nauseated and won't feel like eating any of the food. Then after 24 weeks once viability is reached, why would you want to risk your pregnancy? What if something were to happen such as preterm labor? The ship's doctor is most certainly not a qualified obstetrician, and the alternative would be to get admitted to some Caribbean island hospital (likely at your expense).
I definitely agree with this! Do you really want to be at the mercy of a hospital on one of the islands (like Jamaica)? I know it's unlikely something would go wrong, but why not just do a vacation within the US instead?

Just remember that different lines have different rules. Also, rules are made to be broken. When I cruised (Carnival) Sept 04 I was 22 weeks and had all the proper documents. When I got up to the desk, the lady was really nice and spoke to me about my very visable belly. She asked if I was having a good pregnancy and if I was within limits. She never said what those limits were and I said yes. She also asked if I had a note saying I was able to travel. I produced my note and she said she did not need it. I kept it the whole cruise and everything was okay. On the last full day, my stateroom attendent said the purser needed my note for customs reasons? I took it to the purser and he made a copy never explaining anything. I had a wonderful cruise and enjoyed my vacation.

Then after 24 weeks once viability is reached, why would you want to risk your pregnancy? What if something were to happen such as preterm labor? The ship's doctor is most certainly not a qualified obstetrician, and the alternative would be to get admitted to some Caribbean island hospital (likely at your expense).

So true. I was 24 weeks pregnant when I cruised, and unfortunately I experienced some pregnancy complications while onboard. Up until that point, my pregnancy was completely normal and I had no prior complications. The onboard doctor did not have the knowledge to deal with the situation, and he certainly did not have the equipment - not even a basic, hand-held fetal heartbeat Doppler. This happened on our last 2 sea days, so I could not go to a hospital in port. When I went to the emergency room back home, they were appalled and horrified by what the doctor onboard did, as it could have had dire and potentially life-threatening consequences - both to me and the baby. Don't want to get into it here as I am sure many people don't need the details, but suffice to say the dr made a serious mistake.

I'll add a little levity to this thread....

On my honemoon cruise (Sept. 1992) we were diverted in the middle of the night for a medical emergency...it turned out to be a woman having a baby! She claimed that she DID NOT KNOW SHE WAS PREGNANT. For all you moms out there, just how likely do you think this is?? :) :cool:

If someone mentioned it you can just put on a good fake cry and say "so I gained a little weight... why can't anyone let me live it down" *sob sob*

*smile*

Just kidding.

JC

Yeah, jsut get one of those t-shirts that says:

"I'm not pregnant, I'm fat!"

Archived