Need Help With Shore Excursions

KMK41

My parents will be on the Pride of Aloha in September and would like some ideas for " must see" sightseeing tours. They begin in Oahu, then Kauai, the Big Island, and Maui. Pros and cons of booking with independent tour company vs. cruise line shore excursions? Any info would be appreciated.

We are headed back to Hawaii on 7/6 and are on the Pride of Aloha sailing on 7/9. Our neighbors just sailed on the same ship in Nov.

This is what we are doing.

Going to Waikiki 2 days ahead of cruise. Taking a tour of the island, and Pearl Harbor. (We did that last time, its worth seeing) You can take the city bus, but the tours seem to get you in and out quicker.

In Kauii, we are renting a van and driving to Waimea Canyon, and around the island on day 1.

Day 2, we are doing Rainbow falls 4X4 in Kauii, booked through the ship

In Hawaii, we are doing the Volcano Natl Park Odyssey the first day, and Zodiac raftriders the second day( did this last time, its great). Booked both through the ship.

In Maui, Doing Road to Hana and a Beach Day at Kaanapali. Booked both through the ship.

The advantage of booking through the ship and not on your own, is that you need to get transportation if you do it on your own. For example, we were going to do the glassbottom boat and snorkel in Molokini (Maui), we did this before and like it. However, it was our second day in Maui, we would need to get transportion to the dock (not the same one), and back to the ship. The ship sails at 6:00. If you book the excursion through the ship, they wait for you to return. If not, your on your own.

Therefore, in summary I would say, its easier (but more expensive) to book through the cruiseline. The advantage being they take responsibility for you getting to and from the excursion, and they will wait for you if you are late. That being said, I would definately book the second day excursions through the ship, since you sail.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie, NJ:cool:

Thanks, Ronnie for your advice .. we'll be on the PoAm in Oct. and just planning our excursions.

We agree with you about going on a ship tour the 2nd day of the 2-day stops. I get so nervous about missing the ship!

I started another thread questioning the Kaanapali Beach day. Let us know how it is.

I'll be looking forward to your review when you return, Thanks ...

Archived