RCI Vision and "tablemates" in main dining room (??)

I have never been on a cruise before, so pardon me if my questions are naive.

How do they assign seating? On our reservations it allowed us to request late seating but other than that, there was no place for preferences (how big or small of a table, I've seen some posts that you can be seated at a table for 2 or 12!).

I'm actually not that picky, but am curious if we'll be seated at a table with other families with young children since our children (ages 3 and 8) will be with us? You'd think that would be nice except for that we don't plan to bring our kids to the main dining room. Since we got late seating and the kids prefer to eat around 6, we fingured we'd take them to eat in the buffet and then they can go to Adventure Ocean in the evening while my husband and I enjoy some adult time in the dining room.

However, that's just what we'd like. Adult time. I don't really want to be seated with another couple and their 4 children, KWIM? Is there any way to make this happen?

Also, what if we get seated at a table for 6 and the other 4 people don't show up because they're eating in the buffet or room service, or specialty restaurant? Are we just left alone or do they move us to another table?

TIA!

For specifics, go to the Dining room when you board and speak to the Dining Room Manager about your requests.

On the no shows... our experience is that the folks not showing don't advise the wait staff they just don't show up. Would be nice if people would let the wait staff know so they might accomodate you into another table but that wasn't our experience.

You can check out your table assignment when you board the ship, and see what size table you've been assigned. The maitre d' or a headwaiter will be stationed outside the dining room and can tell you who you're seated with (not the identity of the person but will know the ages at least). If you don't like the result, you can ask to be reassigned and they will do so if possible.

If you booked through a travel agent, they can request the size of table for you. If you booked directly, call RCI customer service and ask them to put in the request for you. You used to be able to state your preference in your RCI online profile, but that option appears to have disappeared from the website.

Have a wonderful first cruise!

Who made your reservations, you via RCCL or via a TA? Call and see if you can request a table for 4 in your profile and explain the reason. If they cannot, go to the dining room when you get on board and check out the table you are at. The table number will show on your seapass. They do look at the profiles and sit like people together somewhat so I would bet you will be at a large table with other children. I think the tablel for 4 is your best option so if your children do want to join you for one eveing or two, they have the option. Other days, it will be just the two of you without being with others you might not enjoy and can have some alone time - not at a table full of kids. Yes, sometimes no one shows up at the table, either going to the specialty restaurants or too tired to change for dinner and do something else.

Tablemate selections is partly mystery, but it does seem that if you have kids, you will probably be seated with another family with kids. Don't think I would opt for a table for 4, as a bigger table will give you a welcome chance to converse with other adults.

If your tablemates don't show, you will stay at your table. Even though many don't do it, it is great if you let your tablemates or waiter know if you are eating elsewhere.

Trust me. If you're traveling with children, you'll get seated in what I've come to call the family ghetto. RCCL tends to group all families with children in one part of the dining room. We've been in that "ghetto" many times -- even when the kids reached age 14, 15, 16, etc. It's very hard to avoid it if there are minors in your party.

All I can suggest is that if you find yourself in that situation, immediately request to be moved to another table in another part of the dining room.

Trust me. If you're traveling with children, you'll get seated in what I've come to call the family ghetto. RCCL tends to group all families with children in one part of the dining room. We've been in that "ghetto" many times -- even when the kids reached age 14, 15, 16, etc. It's very hard to avoid it if there are minors in your party.

All I can suggest is that if you find yourself in that situation, immediately request to be moved to another table in another part of the dining room.

I always wondered where all the "families" were at in the dining room. So there's a ghetto? LOL I've always been seated around only adults - never even spotted a teenager, much less a younger child. (Not that I'm complaining!)

I always wondered where all the "families" were at in the dining room. So there's a ghetto? LOL I've always been seated around only adults - never even spotted a teenager, much less a younger child. (Not that I'm complaining!)

Here are my notes from when I travelled with my kids (14 & 16) (Note to GT_mustang_gal - my teens are disgustingly well-behaved and dress way more appropriately than 95% of the dining room group. Between being raised properly and having ballroom dance training, they wouldn't dream of being any other way):

Dining Room - I have very mixed feelings about our dining room experience. because of (I am guessing) the high occupancy of this trip, the little side dining rooms were brought into play and we were assigned seating in the Seville. There were a grand total of maybe 10-12 tables in here, a quarter of which never seemed to have their occupants turn up. My feelings see-sawed between deep regret and appreciation for this for the entire trip. One felt incredibly segregated from the rest of the world in these rooms. My two guys actually had tuxes and we felt left out from the finery in the main dining rooms. On the other hand, the main dining room always seemed busier and noisier and it was always much calmer feeling in the Seville and our waiter (Brent) and assistant waiter (Cecil) were wonderful. I also made friends with another table's assistant waiter which probably wouldn't have happened in the main dining room

Archived