Arcadia luggage handling Southampton

PAULNJILL

Can anyone out there tell us how they handle suit carriers / ballgown carriers on arrival at Southampton terminal. Do they hang them on a rail of some description or are they put with all the suitcases. We are sailing on Sunday and we can't decide whether to pack in carriers or in the suitcases.

Many thanks.

P&O say: "If you intend to bring a suit carrier, please ensure it is of suitable quality and only contains items of clothing. We recommend that you carry suit carriers on board yourself. Please note that luggage will be subject to a considerable amount of handling. We would therefore recommend that your suitcases be of sturdy construction."

Funnily enough, I was at the Mayflower Terminal yesterday (vsiting Oceana) and when they kicked us of at 1:45, embarkation for that ship's next cruise was underway.

I saw the luggage handling system. Basically, a system of conveyors and trolleys. There did seem to be a lot of picking-up and putting-down (not to say 'dropping') of bags in the process. I would think that the chances of a suit/gown carrier getting twisted, flattened or creased would be quite high.

Archived