Packer Expeditions any info???

MNmom

Has anyone done the Laughton Glacier Tour from Skagway? We are very interested in the train-hike-train tour that takes a 14 mile train ride (how long does that take?) and then a 5-8 mile hike and then the train back down.

We have 5 kids (6-13 years) and are very active. We want something fun and adventuresome!!!

Any thoughts or has anyone been on this excursion??

MNmom

It's probably the best hiking tour you'll find. It's a great train ride, a stupidly beautiful trail and great views.

Packer Expeditions is one of the best guide companies in SE Alaska. Many guides will put in a few years at other companies just to get the experience necessary to start with Packer. They are very highly respected. Their guides are very, very well trained and enjoy what they do.

I highly recommend them and this tour. And no, i don't work for them or have any meaningful affiliation. I'm just a guide who knows them and their work.

Hi MNmom,

My husband and I did the heli-hike and rail tour from the Coral Princess a few weeks ago. I don't know what tour/cruise line you are on, but you probably get off the train at the same place where our helicopter landed. The hike starts right where you get off the train.

Ditto everything OutdoorsPro said about Packer Expeditions. We were in excellent hands the entire trip - even on the helicopter! When we got to the trailhead, the guys from Packer Expeditions had hiking poles, water, and a fanny pack with snacks ready for us. We had jackets/sweaters with us because it was June 1 and we thought it would be cold (but it wasn't) so they stored them for us in a locker. Our guides (Chad and Jeff) were very attentive to all in our group. The hike is not too strenuous, and the guides let our group go as fast or as slow as we chose (we were a pretty fast group). They could judge how much time we had left and knew when we had to head back. The views of Laughton Glacier are spectacular! Chad and Jeff also pointed out wildlife and plant life along the trail. We felt like we were in good hands the entire time.

Have a great trip - Packer Expeditions will take excellent care of you. And - for the record, I do not work for them and I am not affiliated with them in anyway. I am just a customer who received excellent service and a wonderful experience in Skagway.

Also - the trip on the train took about 45 minutes. Your kids will have a great time and will learn a lot about the Skagway and Laughton Glacier region.

Cigal

Thank you so much for your information!! That is exactly what we are looking for. I contacted them yesterday and they got back to me right away with all of my questions answered and it sounds like a fantastice trip. We will be booking with them today!

Now we have to start our hiking here in Minnesota so the kids are ready for it. I am really excited to see another glacier too!!!

Our cruise will include Kayaking in Juneau, 6-8 mile hiking in Skagway and the train, and 8 mile biking in ISP. This is all coming together just great!!!

Thanks again!! This board has been great!!

MNmom

Archived