Travel Insurance Question

TrinChick

I'm a recent convert to the benefits of travel insurance. I do have a question about what is covered.

If we book air separately (non-refundable), can we purchase a policy that will cover the air if we have to cancel the trip due to illness?

A member of our party has been having some health issues, and this will determine if we book Celebrity Air or book the air separately (at a much lower cost).

Also, I once saw a link to a site that helps compare coverage and cost. If someone has the link, I'd appreciate it, since I wasn't an insurance believer at the time and didn't save it.

Thanks in advance!

TrinChick,

The web site you're looking for is http://www.insuremytrip.com/. A number of policies, including Celebrity's, will cover separately booked air. However, because a member of your party has health issues, you might have problems with pre-existing condition exclusions that might deny coverage for both air and cruise fares, including air purchased from Celebrity. Good luck

Thanks for the response. The info was really helpful. I had previously asked Travelguard via their website but was too impatient to wait for their reply!

I checked the link. At least one of the insurance companies has a product that covers pre-existing conditions (at an added cost, of course).

Thanks again.

Thanks for the response. The info was really helpful. I had previously asked Travelguard via their website but was too impatient to wait for their reply!

I checked the link. At least one of the insurance companies has a product that covers pre-existing conditions (at an added cost, of course).

Thanks again.

Go to this site to read the details: http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/pdf/insurance/cruise_care_060105.pdf

I recently had to use their insurance and I got a refund for all except the insurance itself.

Couple things about X insurance. They offer a 75% refund (future credit) to cancel for any reason - no questions asked (this is in their cruise catalog at back). Second, their fee is trip length, not age, based - the third party insurers really "up the ante" for seniors. I seem to remember the X insurance covers up to 2 days after embarkation if you're doing extra days but check those terms in contract.

We had OK experience with TravelGuard once with a minor shipboard illness. On recent trip I heard a couple reports that the ship's medical is VERY expensive to use.

Good Luck.

(this is in their cruise catalog at back). Second, their fee is trip length, not age, based

Premium is calculated on insured amount of the trip.

A very good point about policy begin and end dates. I bet some are not aware of this who plan independent pre/post arrangements!

Archived