Caribbean Princess Tulum excursion question

mseldga

I would appreciate advice from anyone who has been on the Tulum ruins excursion with the Caribbean Princess lately. The CB has two choices for Tulum - Tulum alone, which is advertised as 8 hours, and Tulum with Xel Ha, which also says 8 hours. I wondered why Tulum alone was as long as Tulum with Xel Ha and called Princess to check. I really wanted to have a little bit of time at least in Cozumel. The person I spoke with took forever to find me an answer and finally said that I'd have plenty of time to shop in Cozumel. She couldn't tell me exactly how long the tour lasted though. I'm just worried that we might spend 4-5hours at the ruins, which from what I hear on these boards, would be way too long in the August heat. And, again, I'd hate to totally miss Cozumel. Has anyone been on this excursion who can give me more details? Thanks so much!

I have done the Tulum excursion. I know it is a ways from the dock. I would recommend you do it through the cruiseline. No sure what the difference is, other than you would have less time at Tulum if your going to two different places. We had time to get in the ocean while we were there.

I wondered why Tulum alone was as long as Tulum with Xel Ha and called Princess to check.

Tulum alone is a 7 hour tour. Tulum Xel-Ha combo is an 8 hour tour.

I'm just worried that we might spend 4-5hours at the ruins, which from what I hear on these boards, would be way too long in the August heat.

With the Tulum only, you spend about 2:30 hours there. With Tulum Xel-ha combo you spend about 1:45 minutes in Tulum and 2 hours in Xel-Ha.

I would appreciate advice from anyone who has been on the Tulum ruins excursion with the Caribbean Princess lately. The CB has two choices for Tulum - Tulum alone, which is advertised as 8 hours, and Tulum with Xel Ha, which also says 8 hours. I wondered why Tulum alone was as long as Tulum with Xel Ha and called Princess to check. I really wanted to have a little bit of time at least in Cozumel. The person I spoke with took forever to find me an answer and finally said that I'd have plenty of time to shop in Cozumel. She couldn't tell me exactly how long the tour lasted though. I'm just worried that we might spend 4-5hours at the ruins, which from what I hear on these boards, would be way too long in the August heat. And, again, I'd hate to totally miss Cozumel. Has anyone been on this excursion who can give me more details? Thanks so much!

I just returned from the CB (I am having Horizon Court withdrawals this morning). We did the Tulum/Xel Ha excursion and I would highly recommend it. However, if your main interest is shopping in Cozumel, don't do this excursion, as you will never actually set foot in Cozumel. The ferry picks you up and takes you straight from the ship to Playa del Carmen where you get on an air conditioned bus. Our driver was awesome and the ride was only about 45 minutes. You have about 1.5 hours at the ruins, which is not alot if you stick with the tour as the guide will give you about a 30-45 minute "presetation." I left the group and went around taking pictures. You then board the bus again and go to Xel Ha. They say you have two hours, but by the time you get off the bus, get in, get oriented,etc, you have about an hour before you have to get out dry off and make your way back to the bus. The bus returns you to Playa del Carmen where you immediately board the ferry (no time for shopping in Playa del Carmen either). All in all, I would recommend this trip. You will feel a little rushed, and wish you had a little more time, but you will get to see some amazing things.

I did speak with a few people that did just the Tulum tour and they had more time at the ruins (not exactly sure how much) and then they returned to Playa del Carmen for shopping (or drinking at Senior frogs) until the ferry left. I am not sure if you can take a different ferry if you want to go to Cozumel. They had a seperate ferry for all Princess cruisers that went straight to the ship.

Bottom line, you need to decide how important shopping is to you, but you will not get too many opportunities to visit places like Tulum and Xel Ha.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Archived