Upgrade Question

Superbuda

Hello All.

I am sailing on the sea princess on a 14 day med cruise on the 22nd of july.I am currently in a catagory BF foward balcony (I think) .Is it possiable to upgrade at the port if there are any rooms of a higher catagory?Also do you think I would get a discount mabey?Any input would be appericated.

Thank you in advance.

Mark B

If there are higher cat. cabins available at the time you check-in, Princess will sell you one and charge you the price differential between the two. If you're looking for a free upgrade or a discount, forget it.

If you're looking for an upgrade that means the same cabin but in a better location, it might happen. But if you're looking to upgrade from a regular cabin w/ balcony to a suite at a discount, forget it. Ships aren't looking to give away the perks and free amenities that go with a suite.

FYI - We booked a mini-suite on Princess and our TA called us a couple of weeks before our cruise to tell us we had been given a 2 category upgrade. Visions of a real suite danced in my head til I learned that Princess moved us to a higher deck and more mid-ship in the same kind of cabin. Being closer to mid-ship is a "downgrade" for us, and as far as being on a higher deck, we could care less. We said "thanks but no thanks" and stayed in our original cabin.

Yes, I'm sure there are SOME circumstances where people are upgraded from regular cabins to suites, but these are few and far between and it never happens because someone asked for one for free at the dock.

Have a great cruise.

>>>I am sailing on the sea princess on a 14 day med cruise on the 22nd of july.I am currently in a catagory BF foward balcony (I think) .Is it possiable to upgrade at the port if there are any rooms of a higher catagory?Also do you think I would get a discount mabey?Any input would be appericated.

OK, I’m a little confused. From prior dealings with Princess, BF is balcony guaranteed. If this is so, you were just assigned your cabin. When you booked, you paid less money by waiving your choice of cabins.

That being said, most cruise lines will let you pay full price for an upgrade at the dock if any exist. However there will be few if any since the whole idea of selling cruise tickets with a guarantee, is to fill the ship from the top down anywhere from a week to a month before the cruise. The last cabins available are the worst on the ship. The only cabins in question will be those few last minute cancellations that no one was willing to “buy”. By the way, this does not count the cabins where the people never show up, those cabins are paid for and will remain empty as no one calls and cancels.

For those one or two cabins left, those asking the purser’s office for an upgrade are considered. I am positive they look at what you booked originally when they make that decision. In short, you should be willing to pay several hundred dollars when you get to the ship or be happy with your cabin assignment since you paid less money.

Anything that doesn't kill you, just hurts a hell of a lot

Sea Princess

Star Princess

Carnival Pride

Diamond Princess

Sapphire Princess

The last time I cruised we were upgraded with no notification and it was a lovely surprise.

I always wondered if you get upgraded if you book early or if you get a late deal. I can't imagine that any ship sails without all of its cabins filled regardless of who paid what.

Archived