leave kids onboard during excursions?

Has anyone done this ? We have 3 year old twins and my husband really wants to do excursions and we cant agree on any that could involve the small kids but can involve the older ones(11 and 15) anyone have any information on leaving the kids in the kids camp? thanks:confused:

You can leave your children onboard during a port day. My advice to you is this, if you elect to do this, be sure to take an excursion arranged through Royal Carib. This way if the excursion runs late, they will wait for you. If you book one on your own with a local vendor and run into problems, the ship may leave without you. Also consider that if they needed to contact you, they would have no way to do this.

I know many people have left their kids in the camp while they took excursions, but I never officially heard whether it is allowed or not. However, if you do choose this route, be sure to book ship sponsored excursions. We were on the Grandeur years ago and the ship had to turn back to Curacao as the mother of a child missed the boat and the child did not have any other family on the ship...

Where are you sailing to? If it is the Caribbean, the kids would probably love to spend the day on the beaches of the Caribbean. If it is Alaska, then probably not. I personally wouldn't leave my kids on the ship if I couldn't be reached. I would however, probably leave the younger ones home with grandma and grandpa.

Leaving them at home wasn't what the OP asked. Why does that always come up on these threads? :rolleyes:

Yes, you can leave the ship while the children are at the club. You have to look at your kid's temperment though. If you leave and you are out of reach, will the twins want to stay in the club while you are gone? Or will they become upset?

My now 6 year old is the type that can stay in the club morning, noon and night...then needs to be dragged kicking and screaming from the club. BUT, when she was younger, we would be paged often because she would want to leave.

So I guess the question is, if the twins want to leave, get hurt or become upset, how would the club reach you? Would you feel comfortable being out of contact with them?

The point I was trying to make, was if it is a family vacation, then the family should enjoy the whole vacation. If the two younger ones are going to impede on the vacation for the rest of the family, they would probably have more fun getting the undivided attention of loving grandparents. That was not meant to be rude or mean, just a thought.

But I am assuming the OP wanted her family vacation to include the whole family.

I guess I am just hypersensitive because everytime a post about younger kids on cruise ships comes up in this forum, it takes about 5.2 seconds for someone to post "leave em at home".

So I am sorry if I am being overly sensitive (honestly)...it's just an issue that I have been noticing alot of lately.

No problem. But let's think about this logically for a moment, without passion, ok?

A lot of money will be spent to take the two younger children. Unless they get to see Mickey and Minnie, the cruise will probably be no more than a glorified daycare for them, right?

Truthfully, the older two kids at 11 and 15 (is that right), can do much more on the cruise and will remember it forever. They deserve to have the time of their lives, IMO.

Imagine how much more fun they will have with the extra $1,000 or so, including lodging and tips.

thank you all for your help i will do as one suggested and take them to the beach and maybe let dad take the other ones on excursions.Grandma is going with us but she is not much help in that dept.I REALLY DIDNT FEEL COMFORTABLE LEAVING THEM ANYWAYS:)

It must be difficult trying to find a suitable vacation for all the family when you have children of such differing ages. Personally, I wouldn't leave the younger ones onboard, the older ones yes, but at 3 years old they could need you at any time as sometimes only mum or dad will suffice.

Could you and your dh take it in turns to take the older ones on an excursion?

Leaving them at home wasn't what the OP asked. Why does that always come up on these threads? :rolleyes:

Yes, you can leave the ship while the children are at the club. You have to look at your kid's temperment though. If you leave and you are out of reach, will the twins want to stay in the club while you are gone? Or will they become upset?

My now 6 year old is the type that can stay in the club morning, noon and night...then needs to be dragged kicking and screaming from the club. BUT, when she was younger, we would be paged often because she would want to leave.

So I guess the question is, if the twins want to leave, get hurt or become upset, how would the club reach you? Would you feel comfortable being out of contact with them?

All of your "concerns" werent her questions either! :rolleyes:

All of your "concerns" werent her questions either! :rolleyes:

Um, yes they were. See her reply.

And HurricaneSally - yes I see your point. And it will be a never ending debate. I am one of those who believe it's not what my kids remember about vacations when they are younger, its what I remember. And those memories are priceless. :D

rere30 - Guess you can't leave them at home with Grandma when Grandma is with ya huh? lol Here's hoping that grandma can retire to the cabin early to sleep along side the twins while you and your hubby have a night out alone.

You should do what you feel comfortable with, but personally, I would worry about how long it would take for me to get back to the ship in case of an emergency-especially if the port is one where you will be tendering-that can take hours to get back and board the ship-in an emergency, I want to reach my kids ASAP.

But people do do this, I'm not sure how many do it with 3 year olds.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

The ship would really let you leave your children while you go on an excursion? That's a little hard for me to believe, given the liability issues that could cause.

I never had anyone buy family watch my children when they little, so I guess I can't relate. If family couldn't watch them, we just didn't go out. I just always felt nobody would watch them as well as I could.

As one poster said, I would make sure I was on an excursion where it wouldn't take long to get back to the ship in an emergency.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your vacation.

No problem. But let's think about this logically for a moment, without passion, ok?

A lot of money will be spent to take the two younger children. Unless they get to see Mickey and Minnie, the cruise will probably be no more than a glorified daycare for them, right?

Truthfully, the older two kids at 11 and 15 (is that right), can do much more on the cruise and will remember it forever. They deserve to have the time of their lives, IMO.

Imagine how much more fun they will have with the extra $1,000 or so, including lodging and tips.

My 9-year old has been cruising for 2 years now, and she loves the children's program. I am a single mother and take her on cruises, as well as to Disney, to spend time together, but also so that we can each do the things we enjoy. A cruise is no more of a glorified daycare than a trip to disney world is. If the parents are spending no time wiht their children and forcing them into the kids' program, then I agree, leave them home ... however, if the child wants to be in the program, I don't see what the problem is.

I say it depends on your indiv child.. When we first cruised with the kids in 2002 my youngest was 4.. we wanted to do a snorkel excursion in Cozumel with the older kids so we did leave her onboard while we went to excursion.. As soon as it was over we came right back to the ship and showered and changed and picked her up and then went back and did stuff with her in Cozumel..

I made sure to choose an excursion thru the cruiseline and like I said we came right back afterwards so she wasnt there all that long, but I wouldnt have left her there the whole time we were in port..

My 11 year-old son begs to stay on board at the ports. He had much rather play with other kids than go on tours or shopping. He is tired of snorkeling and he is bored with beaches. I made him go with us on a snorkeling trip in Belize in June and he complained the entire time. He has traveled a lot. He likes playing and the Adventure Ocean staff must make it really fun! This is our third summer of cruising and he refuses to leave the ship because he has so much fun with the Adventure Ocean kids and staff. I don't worry about leaving him. The staff has always been very professional and reassuring. We have always gone on the ship's shore excursions, so they know how to reach us if needed I guess. Last time, we took a cell phone and left a cell phone with him for emergencies because we rented a car in Cozumel. If needed, we could pay the roaming fees. I was more worried about us getting back - we've been to Cozumel many times though, but the car could have broken down or we could have had an accident. The cell phone was reassuring. (He has been on the Navigator, Mariner, and Enchantment of the Seas.) He loves to cruise!

Glorified daycare? C'mon. A few hours per day is more like a fun playdate with friends. I find this comment to be highly insulting, as though there won't be any quality time spent with the kids during the entire trip.

As long as the kids adapt to AO in the beginning, I wouldn't hesitate to leave them there for a few hours while you go off on an excursion. I've done it and so have many others. Cruises are ideal for families because it allows for different members to do their own thing while still traveling and making memories together.

The ship would really let you leave your children while you go on an excursion? That's a little hard for me to believe, given the liability issues that could cause.
Adventure Ocean hours, direct from the RCCL website:

At Sea: 9 a.m. to noon, 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., and 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.

In Port: Thirty minutes prior to the first shore excursion to 5 p.m. or return of last shore excursion, 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.

If grandmom is staying on the ship, then definitely leave the twins at the ocean club...if they need or want anything, grandmom would be right there! I wouldn't worry about my kids if my mom was nearby. have a great trip, whatever you decide.

115181351852259.gif

Archived