What to do in Anchorage while waiting for a 10:00 pm flight

Mrs007

I have been searching and reading for 2 days now and no one ever seems to make comments about what they did in Anchorage after they disembarked Carnival Spirit in Whittier and had to wait all day for their flight home. Our flight home doesn't leave until 9:45 pm.

Could someone PLEASE let me know if they took any tours, what the costs were, did you find a good restaurant, etc.

Also, what time does the Spirit dock in Whittier??? I tried talking to customer service at Carnival, but the only thing the guy I spoke to kept saying was "I don't have that information". Excuse me, but how many times has the Spirit docked in Whittier???? Don't you think they would have some clue? Do they drop you at the convention center or the airport - again the Carnival guy had no clue.

We were thinking of taking the Blackstone excursion or the Mount Alyeska excursion. Has anyone done these? Does anyone know the cost (AGAIN, the Carnival guy didn't have that information). If we take one of those excursions do we have time to have a nice dinner in Anchorage before our flight? We thought we might go to Glacier Brewhouse in Anchorage. It looks like it is only 2 blocks from the convention center. But then again, we don't know if we will be dropped at the convention center.

Please help me!!! I'm getting very frustrated.

Linda

Hope for a pretty day in Anchorage. I was faced with similar situation when I did Princess to Alaska several years ago. If you can find a tour, take it. Lots of shops & a few bars & restaurants but only so much you can do in Anchorage.

Lucky for us, it was the first nice day without rain, with lots of sunshine. All the locals were out in the parks, holding craft shows etc, just to get outside & enjoy the great weather.

Try doing a search on Anchorage. I think there was an IMAX theatre & lots of other things to do. Some interesting OLD bars there. Lots of friendly people.

Have fun & enjoy your cruise. :D

We checked our luggage at the airport and took a taxi. Someone, I think it was some people we shared the taxi with, suggested a restaraunt/bar named Humpy's -Great Alaskan Alehouse-. Its pretty popular I think. The burgers were great and they sell Humpy Tshirts that are cool looking. Back then (2000) it was just a quaint little hole in the wall, a local hang out.

We saw an imax about Alaska. :)

We just sailed on the Island Princess last month and we took the cruise line transfers from Whittier and arrived at the airport in Anchorage about 11am. We rented a car and drove to the small town of Talkeetna.

From there you can even do flightseeing or rafting if you have enough time. If not, just browse in the shops and have a great meal.

On the way we saw moose and Mt Denali which was clearly visible that day. It was an awesome sight and a nice way to spend the day!

Some of these ships dock as early as midnight but it really doesn't matter since the tunnel to let you out of Whittier doesn't open until 5:30am.

Not much to do in Whittier other than take a boat cruise into Blackstone Bay or Prince William Sound (these are quite good) so you'd best transfer into Anchorage via train or bus and go from there.

There's plenty to do here during the summer. Downtown has free concerts at noon plus there's the very informative Alaska Public Lands Information Center on 4th Avenue. You could also go to the Alaska Museum of History and Art or the Alaska Native Heritage Center, or do some shopping. If you are in town on Saturday or Sunday, the Downtown Market (open air vendors) is also available on 3rd avenue.

One of my favorite recommendations is the Anchorage City Trolley Tour which leaves 4th avenue in front of the historic 4th Avenue Theater. The Omnimax movie on Alaska and the connecting Earthquake Exhibit is also good. Plenty of places to eat downtown as well including the popular Simon and Seafort's, Glacier Brewhouse, Ristorante Orso, Sacks, and many more. All of this is within walking distance and downtown is easily walkable.

The Egan Convention Center is the traditional dropping and leaving point for tour groups and it doesn't appear to have changed this summer.

For more information on what to do in our fair city, go to http://www.anchorage.net

I was going to recommend the Earthquake Exhibit or a boat tour of Prince William Sound. It's beautiful and abundant wildlife can be seen. If it's a clear day, you can even see Mt. McKinley from Anchorage. The Earthquake Exhibit was very interesting too, and it seems to me, it was right downtown. Anchorage is a beautiful city...you can't go wrong!:D

You are already in whittier - check out small boat P.William Sound GLACIER VIEWING cruise from right there (link below). I think they have an am trip and pm trip. You see lots of glaciers REAL close. We enjoyed this a couple years ago. Get some microbrew drafts at Glacier Brewhouse in ANC later unless you go to airport after glacier cruise.

http://www.26glaciers.com

I have been searching and reading for 2 days now and no one ever seems to make comments about what they did in Anchorage after they disembarked Carnival Spirit in Whittier and had to wait all day for their flight home. Our flight home doesn't leave until 9:45 pm.

Could someone PLEASE let me know if they took any tours, what the costs were, did you find a good restaurant, etc.

Also, what time does the Spirit dock in Whittier??? I tried talking to customer service at Carnival, but the only thing the guy I spoke to kept saying was "I don't have that information". Excuse me, but how many times has the Spirit docked in Whittier???? Don't you think they would have some clue? Do they drop you at the convention center or the airport - again the Carnival guy had no clue.

We were thinking of taking the Blackstone excursion or the Mount Alyeska excursion. Has anyone done these? Does anyone know the cost (AGAIN, the Carnival guy didn't have that information). If we take one of those excursions do we have time to have a nice dinner in Anchorage before our flight? We thought we might go to Glacier Brewhouse in Anchorage. It looks like it is only 2 blocks from the convention center. But then again, we don't know if we will be dropped at the convention center.

Please help me!!! I'm getting very frustrated.

Linda

Linda- the Carnival Spirit arrives in Whittier around midnight. Where you will end up as far as the airport or Egan Center is dependent upon what you tell Carnival. They have a system in place to handle disembarking (and your luggage) to account for early flights (before 3 p.m.), later flights (like yours), those who are taking excursions with Carnival with/ without airport transfers, those taking post cruises land packages to Denali and those renting cars in Anchorage. There is a form you will fill out before sailing to tell them the time and airline of your return flight.

Based on the time of your return flight, unless you purchase an excursion with Carnival, you would be dropped off at the Egan Center. They give you special tags for your luggage. I have read that this system was the idea of the cruise director, Shawn Bussey, and it really does work, once you tell the purser's desk what you want to do. If you are shuttled initially to the Egan Center, your luggage would be held there until closing time and then you would be shuttled to the airport. You could then walk around town and take buses or shuttles to any number of places in the area - Alaska Experience Theatre, the zoo, Glacier Brewhouse, Ulu Factory, etc.

Either way, you will want to get the transfer to Anchorage ($55 pp). The buses are timed so that they are able to pass through the Whittier tunnel, which is open for a half hour at a time for out going traffic.

Once in Anchorage, you may want to rent a car. There are 2 Avis locations in Anchorage. You can rent a car at the downtown location and return it at the airport.

If you go on your own, The tram at the Aleskya resort is $16 if you don't have lunch (a choice of sandwiches) and is a little more ($22) if you have the Tram Lunch Combo. You should go there - the drive to Girdwood is spectualr on the Seward Highway and the view from Mount Aleyska is great!

As far as the excursions through Carnival, they are charging the following (as of 5/17/06):

Alyeska Mountain Resort with Transfer $127 adult $119 child

(without transfer- adult $78 child $70

Blackstone Glacier Adventure with Transfer adult $154 child $119

(without transfer adult $105 child $70)

Portage glacier cruise with transfer adult $86 child $78

(without transfer adult $37 child $29)

You also visit the Alaska Native Center with the Alyeska excursion. You can book them before you sail but they want you to book something by noon Saturday of your sailing.

I understand your frustrations in dealing with someone on the phone. I think the Cruise Critic board is a much better source of information :D .

Someone, I think it was some people we shared the taxi with, suggested a restaraunt/bar named Humpy's -Great Alaskan Alehouse-. Its pretty popular I think. The burgers were great and they sell Humpy Tshirts that are cool looking. Back then (2000) it was just a quaint little hole in the wall, a local hang out.

Someone on our flight to Anchorage suggested Humpy's, and we decided to have dinner there the night before our sailing (we flew in the day before our cruise). What an experience! The food is terrific - and REALLY plentiful! It was DH and me, and when we got there we were hungry! We ordered an appetizer and two entrees. The appetizer was so huge, we ended up cancelling one of the entrees. We were stuffed! The locals who eat there are really friendly and are willing to give you loads of advice about what to see in Anchorage. How delightful it was to meet such warm and wonderful folks!

We were in Anchorage for 3 days after our cruise. We stayed at the Comfort Inn right next to the ULU factory and right in front of the Creek where they were salmon fishing for a derby. We went to the weekend market on Saturday, took a shuttle up to Talkeetna on Sunday (with the salmon derby, there were no rental cars left in the area after I said we need to reserve one early-he didn't listen), and then on the last day, we decided to rent a car from Enterprise (they picked us up at the hotel) and since our flight was also scheduled for 9:30 pm (left about 10 or so) we went to the zoo (very small compared to our Detroit Zoo, so I don't recommend it highly) but we went to the Sourdough mining company for lunch. WOW!!!! We also heard about Humpy's, which we wanted to go, but ended up at Sourdough. It was fantastic. I had the Terryaki Chicken sandwich........let me tell you, there is enough food brought for 1 order that could feed a family of 4!!!! All for a pretty good price is your entree, a big order of seasoned fries, a mini corn on the cob, beans, and a "make your own" ice cream sundae. I was so full, I almost couldn't walk across the street to the Wildberry Park and Chocolate factory that has the "World's largest chocolate waterfall". Whatever you decide to do, you will love it. Such a beautiful state!!!! The mountains, waterfalls, glaciers, and wildlife are just phenominal.

Archived