Post refit impressions.

Kindlychap

We have just returned from "Land of the Midnight Sun" on QE2 which was the first time that we had been aboard since September 2005. She's had a refit in that time of course.

There are a number of things that we noticed that I thought would be interesting, given the earlier post immediately following the refit.

It appears that they still have problems with the airconditioning, although after the first afternoon the temperature in our cabin was fine. We didn't need to point it out as the staff had already noticed and reported it.

The champagne on arrival hasn't changed, although we were still given that horrible Paul Cacker stuff by virtue of being in the world club. I noticed that my mother (QG grade) was given Paul Cacker in lieu of the champagne in the brochure. On my complaining the Pursers office made arrangements to change this to champagne.

The appetiser before the meal has disappeared, as has the Waterford Crystal. The replacements are not unpleasantly styled, but none the less are machine made. Other than that, the food was as good as ever.

The Golden Lion pub seemed to be smokier than usual, although given that the world cup was being shown there, this might explain it.

The balconies now have sprinklers, although one of ours hadn't been painted as yet. There wasn't much to notice about the ship that differed from what we remembered.

Entertainment was poor at "Showtime". There was only one act out of 14 that persuaded us to walk to the Grand Lounge, which is far lower than usual.

The speakers were uninspiring, and we have seen billings for the talks given by Ronnie Sampson at least once before. It's also getting a bit passe to have Concorde speakers on every trip.

The cruise director, Alistair Greener, was deeply arrogant and with little basis for this. His aim seemed to be to get one over on everyone else, and he ran a "QE2 Live" recorded programme that was repeated again and again over the morning breakfast TV schedule. He is now off the ship, having left at Southampton on the 30th.

But generally speaking the old girl is as lovely as before, and we had a great time.

A few questions as we are booked on NY-LA 2007; Q3: What cabin category were you in -assume Q2? What restaurant has abolished the Waterford - assume QG? And no appetiser before meal- assume QG? Rather appalling I think. Is this the beginning of her end? ...Hope not.

Yes, I'm wondering about the appetizers being cut too. Do you mean the canapes that are served in the bars before dinner?

No, canapes in Queens Grill Lounge (and those in suite) were still there.

Olls - We were on the Signal Deck, so all remarks refer to Queens Grill.

kindly chap, that's interesting re a few changes in the QG Restaurant - I guess re the appetisers these are the 'amuse-bouche' type ones & prepared specially by the chef that are served before the 'starter' of say caviar / smoked salmon & a soup & salad course?

Can you still freely order off menu - such as caviar to start each night in the Grill - I dont' quite see why they've changed the crystal ware esp. at this high level on board! Maybe cost cutting again - in my mind the fares need to go up rather than down -QE2's fares across all grades esp. Grill class seems just too cheap for some cruises although I note for longer ones there is still quite a pricing difference between Mauretania & Grill class which is how it should be!

I don't often rate the shows on QE2 & having recently been on board Arcadia they were much better than I've ever seen on QE2! It will be interesting to see how good the entertainment is & guest speakers on my Sep / Oct US & Canada QE2 cruise later this year.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

kindly chap, that's interesting re a few changes in the QG Restaurant - I guess re the appetisers these are the 'amuse-bouche' type ones & prepared specially by the chef that are served before the 'starter' of say caviar / smoked salmon & a soup & salad course?

Can you still freely order off menu - such as caviar to start each night in the Grill - I dont' quite see why they've changed the crystal ware esp. at this high level on board! Maybe cost cutting again - in my mind the fares need to go up rather than down -QE2's fares across all grades esp. Grill class seems just too cheap for some cruises although I note for longer ones there is still quite a pricing difference between Mauretania & Grill class which is how it should be!

I don't often rate the shows on QE2 & having recently been on board Arcadia they were much better than I've ever seen on QE2! It will be interesting to see how good the entertainment is & guest speakers on my Sep / Oct US & Canada QE2 cruise later this year.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

You guess right. Caviar is still on the menu, and you can still order off menu as you want.

We thought Arcadia was dreadful - one of our waiters was chewing gum! - and although ours was only a two nighter, a friend who has done a full cruise on her (having been very happy on Aurora) thought the ship dire.

Archived