Galaxy -- Oceanview questions

volleymasha

We are considering Galaxy's 10 night next summer, and are wondering about the "oceanview" versus "deluxe oceanview". They show the same graphic and square footage. Anyone been in both that can describe differences? Or anyone been in either and particularly liked or disliked it?

Thanks in advance for your help. We are considering switching to X for this cruise after a couple on Royal Carib. For reference, folks in our group have done JS and D1 (balcony) on Navigator OTS and Serenade OTS --but we're thinking we can live without the balcony if it's 10 nights in the Med!

Thanks!

Michelle

'Deluxe' ocean view has a larger window - it's wider. And I think that they ebds ara rranged diffeently. In our Cat 5 (Deluxe Ocean view) the twin beds (you can have them put together as a double as well, of course) were in the middle of the cbin, orientated facing aft. Whereas I believe that in the standard ocean view cabin the beds are placed under the window, orientated to face port or startboard.

But the floor area is indeed the same.

A cat 4 or Cat 5 on the GALAXY is MUCH better than a simple ocean view. In additon to the bed arrangement you have a small seating area at the window. Given the price difference between a Veranda and Deluxe ocean view for teh Galaxy or mercury..we always go with the Cat 4/5.

Rich in N VA

We were in Galaxy 5035 Cat6 OV in May. The 'deluxe' are on higher decks. As you saw, Sqft is same, if you select cabin # on reservation page at X website, it shows slightly diff cabin furniture layout between deluxe and non.

I know the $ is not very different so I think location is important factor in choosing. Even if window size a little diff, you are usually not in cabin very much. Even though 5035 was adjacent to elevator lobby, there was a wall section that helped isolate the activity on elevators, stairs landing. And 5035 was not on thru walkway. You don't want to be under a ship's galley or public area that will have early or late activity, etc. Call me overly cautious but a cabin like 5035 was right out the door and up one stairs to outside deck for emergency escape purposes. You never know. Have a good trip.

We have done both. Picture of the deluxe is in the webshots link below. Beds in the regular oceanview were under the window and had an aisle on one side only which meant I climbed out of bed. Bed in the deluxe oceanview was on the sidewall and much easier. Regular oceanview had a chair and small table along with a much smaller window. Deluxe had a love seat and small table. Love seat was next to the window and the perfect place to curl up with a book and relax. Deluxe has a vcr (movies can be checked out at the reception desk). We had the perfect location on Galaxy just a few cabins down from the library. Very quiet but the elevators and the Grand Foyer stairway were close by. She is a beautiful ship and has one of the best staffs at sea so I'm sure you will have a wonderful time!

Thanks for all your helpful responses. It was clear that the categories were different, but difficult to impossible to determine from Celebrity -- the pictures tell the tale.

We will likely follow the guidance here and opt for cat 4/5 (unless a pot of money falls from the sky so that we can up to CC or Sky!).

Thanks again!

Michelle

Just a note about portholes - we had a marvelous cruise on Galaxy, and got an oceanview guarantee - we ended up in cabin 4001 - Continental Deck, all the way forward - and had a porthole, even though it was Cat 7 (according to Celebrity's website, only Cat 8's had portholes). After investigating a bit, we found that only the most-forward cabin on each side had the porthole (of the forward cabins - we didn't look at the aft cabins). The cabin was also a bit smaller than the one next door. We had not expected this at all - even so, this was one of the most wonderful cruises we've been on. I would sail Galaxy again, any time, anywhere!

Archived