Galaxy Med -- kids and shore excursions

volleymasha

We are contemplating doing a Galaxy 10 night Med next summer with a large, multi-generational group, including kids who will be aged 13,10, 7 and 5 when we sail. All have been on a couple of Carib cruises and are generally flexible travelers -- but I'd appreciate opinions on whether there will be shore excursions that we will find appealing to do with the younger kids.

I've searched these boards some and am happy to see that there will likely be a number of children on a summer sailing, but I havben't been able to glean a lot of what goes well for the kids and what doesn't (other than the kids club generally being good, which was also our experience on RCCL).

Anyone done a summer Galaxy cruise with young elementary age?

Thanks!

Michelle

We did an 11 day Med cruise on the Galaxy last year. Most of the shore excursions that are offered are visits to historical places such as churches, mosques, palaces, etc. I would think that young children would be rather bored on excursions like these. In addition, many of the excursions are a full day and many require you to spend several hours in a bus. I suggest you visit Celebrity's web site where you can check the available excursions and decide for yourself what's suitable. You will also find that since a Med cruise is very expensive after you factor in the airfare, there are generaly not many children on board compared to a Caribbean cruise.

We recently returned from a 12 night Med. cruise on the Millennium from June 7th through the 19th. Our children ages 10 and 12 had a fantastic time. We did a mix of ports "on our own" as well as some of Celebrity's tours. I can honestly say our children were never bored. It was a very port intensive cruise and they never even went to the children's program. I believe only 50 children were onboard, but I was told that on the cruise after ours (beginning June 19) they were expecting 300 or so children.

Superjerryw had a very good idea in terms of going onto the Celebrity website and looking at all of the shore excursions available for each port you will be visiting. If there is a particular port that you want to do something that you don't think the younger ones would enjoy, the children's program is always open on port days.

We would always try to take a break here and there for gelato (the kids tried gelato in every port). We always enjoyed sitting down in each port for a nice lunch to sample the local foods (and wine!). Our children really enjoyed the pizza and pasta.

We also traveled with our children in 2003 on a Norweign Fjords and British Isles cruise when they were 7 and 9 and they really enjoyed that as well.

I think you will have a great time. You need to go with the right attitude and modify and adjust as necessary.

It also helps to involve the kids in the planning of the trip. I suggest you provide them with some information about the places you will be going and let them chose some things they would like to do and see.

Have a great time!!

Nancy

Thanks for your help. We had done a bit of looking for what is available, but it's sometimes hard to get a feel for what works well and what won't -- but we'll roll with it if it all comes together for the group to go. Involving them in the planning is a super idea that we will definitely incorprate -- because our older son has done some social studies work on Greece, it should be easy to get him interested.

Michelle

Archived