"four minute walk" to the Buccaneer

loumel

We are looking at booking the excursion on the Buccaneer for this weekend. We are traveling with 3 kids (12, 7 and 3) and want to know if the "four minute walk" to the check in office is far. Is it worth getting a cab to take us there? Your help is much appreciated.

I just got back from cruising (Conquest, loved it) and I have to say that the Bucanneer with Captain Brian's Tours was the only low point of my trip. You will have to pay a reservation fee up front, which didn;t bother me too much. The walk isn't all that bad either. But we got there, on time and he made us wait for thirty minutes before taking us anywhere. When we got to the boat, it started ok, a british guy was there and he was going to offer pictures for a "modest fee", he was with VIP productions. We left the dock and then it got unimpressive. The crew were less than excited about us (cattle boat is a good word). And we even had Captain Brian with us. On the way out, a HEAVY light fell from the upper rigging and landed a few feet from some of the kids. Glass went everywhere. One of our friend's small children got glass in her foot. No apology, offer to help, word of concern, nothing. They just semi-cleaned up the mess and pushed on. When we got to the site, we spent 20 minutes getting the anchor set to get off. Other boats came after us and we unloading passengers into the water within five. CPT Brian was yelling at his crew and making everyone feel uncomfortable. Very unprofessional. Then the equipment was passed out. Again, less than spectacular. In the water, one of the deckhands caught a stingray and we were given the opportunity to "kiss" it for luck and pose for a picture. Some families went in, others went one at a time. The British photographer and the deckhand started arguing. It seems that British gy only wanted familes to see the ray, because family photos get bought, not individual photos. The deckhand (good for him) said that he was there to make the passengers happy and safe, if they wanted to come up one at a time it was their business. By now, Captain Brian had left us and went to another boat. He never returned (He must have owned another boat there). Other operators there let us hold a stingray and feed them, but not the Buccaneer. Something happened to the food, so no feeding. After the stingray site, we went to a snorkling area. The deckhand did a decent job on briefing us and warning us not to go to the far side of the coral because of fire coral. Of course, two teenagers didn;t listen and got stung. One was screaming and the same deckhand (good job again) dove in and helped her back. We went to another site for more snorkling and that went okay. The return to the dock was uneventful.

The next day, we met a group that went with Moby Dick Tours. http://www.mobydicktours.com/ They said that it was great. If I go back and do the Stingray City Tour again, I'm going to try them. They sounded great and require no money for a reservation.

By the way, Stingray City was great. I'd highly recommend the tour, just not with the Buccaneer and Captain Brian.

Good Cruising!

I don't recall any operator for any tour, just about anywhere that doesn't have occassional complaints, including Moby Dick. The light falling is a bad thing and no squid is a bad thing, but I would doubt those happen everyday.

Grand Cayman is a tender port and not all ships tender everyone at the same time, so often some people end up waiting while the others catch up.

As for VIP, they do most, if not all of the photography and dvds for the tours and are independent contractors - they don't work for the tour operator.

I also agree with the notes from "zydecocruiser". I just returned last week and went with the Buccaneer due to the many complaints about Moby Dick's. We had a great time and did not encounter any problems. The crew along with Jodi (VIP Productions) were great and really worked together. We had a lot of time with the stingrays. We purchased the photo disk from VIP Productions and received it (live in Canada) 2 days after I returned. I would definately go with the Buccaneer again. There was only 11 of us on the 50 ft catermaran.:)

We were on the 5/29 two stop tour from the Inspiration.

We had a great time... only 12 of us on the Hannibal. The kids had a blast and the guides were very helpful and patient. We did not have anyone doing video on board, and it did not matter to me.

I am sorry that you did not have a good time. I guess everyone has a bad day, but I see your experience as the exception not the rule for Capt. Bryans

We are looking at booking the excursion on the Buccaneer for this weekend. We are traveling with 3 kids (12, 7 and 3) and want to know if the "four minute walk" to the check in office is far. Is it worth getting a cab to take us there? Your help is much appreciated.

We've done the Capt Bryan's tour 3 times and loved each one! It is about a 4 minute walk. They're right behind the Old English Bakery, a wonderful place to have a bite to eat after you check in with Capt. Bryan. There were 9 of us on the Hannibal in May, it was wonderful having such personal attention! (there were only 2 ships in Cayman that day) Have a great time!

WOW, we have done the Buccaneer tour and the Captain Bryans tours and LOVED IT!!!! The tour you experienced Texas303 doesn't sound at all like the either tour or the boats that I went one. I would and still highly recommend both trip.....

I do find it quite interesting that this is your very first post EVER on this board and you sure had the link to another stingray company right on hand to share with us all:p

spoke with a friend recently who was on that tour. The light fell very near her and her kids. She had the same opinion of the tour and thought the photog was most helpful. I am booked on the buc 7/13 and hope to have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...
We've done both Hannibal and Buccaneer, prefer the former, enjoyed both. With our son (first 3, then 5), I'd say our walk was more like 6-8 minutes.

Hi jwlane,

could you tell my why you prefered the Hannibal over the Buccaneer? I am trying to decide between the two.

Thanks!

why you prefered the Hannibal over the Buccaneer?
Liked the excursion being a little shorter, with just one snorkel stop (5 yr. old entertainment factor, if you know what I mean). Liked it being a little smaller boat (easier to get around, trampoline areas to lay on it front). Didn't have to save a guy passed out & drowning when we went on Hannibal :eek: (guess he was glad we were on Buccaneer that time). Not as many people (not that Buccaneer had that many, just like the smaller group).

Archived