How to get from port in Livorno to Florence

kronbel

We took the Celebrity "Florence on Your Own" excursion which basically provided transportation only. However, the nice thing is that there is a tour guide on the bus that gives you alot of historical information about Florence during the drive. Our guide also provided us with a map and went over the location of many of the top sites/attractions. It took about 90 minutes to get to Florence from the port. We did have a 30 minute stop outside Florence at a leather factory which I could have done without. However, it did allow us to use the restrooms and stretch our legs a bit. I think we departed around 8:30 a.m. and were in Florence by a around 10:15 a.m.

We departed Florence at 3:30 p.m.

Have a great trip.

Nancy

Before I get started, Livorno is just a few miles from the Tower of Pisa.

The cheapest alternative is to take a taxi to downtown Livorno and take the train to Florence. Much cheaper. You have to check train schedules.

I took the ship's transportation because we arrived on a Sunday, and Sunday trains are few and far between. So, if its not Sunday, take the train.

Before I get started, Livorno is just a few miles from the Tower of Pisa.

The cheapest alternative is to take a taxi to downtown Livorno and take the train to Florence. Much cheaper. You have to check train schedules.

I took the ship's transportation because we arrived on a Sunday, and Sunday trains are few and far between. So, if its not Sunday, take the train.

And the train station in Florence is reasonably convenient.

The only caution is that Italian transport workers are known to call unnanounced one day strikes so you can be stranded. Unlikely but possible.

(We used the ship's bus the first time we visited Livorno (that's Italian for Leghorn, by the way) in 1992 on a Princess cruise. There were several buses. And it was a rainy day that got worse as it got later. In Florence my DW and I got separated so we returned in separate buses. Do ships wait for their own excursions to return? Not this time. I got back but no wife anywhere. The Princess dispatcher said all buses had returned and gave the high sign for the ship to close up and take off while I'm still waiting on the pier. Just as the staff had pulled down the tables and tents and loaded them on board, here comes the bus with my wife on board and a totally distraught dispatcher to greet them. Until then she had insisted that all buses were accounted for and that my wife must be somewhere on board ship. I asked her what recourse we would have had if the bus were 10 minutes later. She said we were on our own.)

Archived