Ordering Two Appetizers in the Dining Room?

Jaycue52

I read a post here on the Cruise Critic boards where one poster indicated that he tried ordering two appetizers (a crab cake and soup) on his Carnival cruise and was told "no" twice. Back in April, my wife and I sailed on Celebrity and I basically had a five-course dinner each night in the dining room (appetizer, soup, salad, entree, and dessert). I was hoping to be able to do the same thing on my Carnival cruise next month. Would you please share your experiences with me on your past Carnival cruises? Thank you. ;)

I read a post here on the Cruise Critic boards where one poster indicated that he tried ordering two appetizers (a crab cake and soup) on his Carnival cruise and was told "no" twice. Back in April, my wife and I sailed on Celebrity and I basically had a five-course dinner each night in the dining room (appetizer, soup, salad, entree, and dessert). I was hoping to be able to do the same thing on my Carnival cruise next month. Would you please share your experiences with me on your past Carnival cruises? Thank you. ;)

We just came back from our cruise. We have been on several and my husband and I both always order more than one thing. Actually one night my husband ordered three appetizers, and four entrees. Not once were we told no. You pay for your food and the portions are small. Order what you want. If you have any problems, speak to the maitre d.

Have fun!!

I believe the post you were referring to was discussing the supper club... which no, you are not allowed two appetizers (although I got lucky, and some others have gotten lucky) But in the dining room, you can order however many appys you want.

You mean to say that if we pay $30 pp for the supper club on the Spirit, they will only give us one appetizer?? We ate at the supper club on the "other" cruise line, and there was no rule like that. I'm not a hog, but the appetizer (crab cake, shrimp cocktail, etc) and the soup are often my favorite parts of the meal. Are you sure they have a rule like that?

Thanks for the info. If anyone has a menu for the supper club on the Spirit, let me know.

Peggy

You mean to say that if we pay $30 pp for the supper club on the Spirit, they will only give us one appetizer?? We ate at the supper club on the "other" cruise line, and there was no rule like that. I'm not a hog, but the appetizer (crab cake, shrimp cocktail, etc) and the soup are often my favorite parts of the meal. Are you sure they have a rule like that?

Thanks for the info. If anyone has a menu for the supper club on the Spirit, let me know.

Peggy

I'm positive LOL!... and believe me, you won't need 2 of anything in the supper club, LOL. $30 is CHEAP for the meal you get. If you do alot of sweet talking you might get lucky... but dont count on it. 2nd entree is another $30...

Supper club menu is the same fleetwide, you can do a search... I know it has been posted many times.

Trust me, it would be sort of pointless to have two of the same course in the supper club. The portions there are not small like the ones in the main dining room (where it is always OK to have two appetizers!)

By the time I was done with the main courses in Scarlett's, I barely had room for dessert. Nothing worse than being too full after dinner, and I was bordering on being miserably full. I would advise diners in the supper club to ask for recommendations and stay with the game plan or you will eat yourself sick!

I agree the Supper Club meal is perfect and no need for extra appetizers. My goodness, when the dessert menu came I was not sure that I could eat any more, oh but the chocolate called my name and I made room.

Am I getting this correct? If we go to the supper club, (and pay $30PP) we have to choose between an appetizer OR soup because they are considered the same course? Nowhere, in any decent restaurant that I have ever been, or on other cruise lines, is the appetizer and soup course considered one and the same. Courses: appetizer, soup, salad, entre, dessert. This is what I expect in the dining room and surely expect in the supper club.

Please tell me I am wrong.......we are looking at the supper club as an option for more than one night if we are unsuccessful in getting a table for two in the dining room.

Judy

Am I getting this correct? If we go to the supper club, (and pay $30PP) we have to choose between an appetizer OR soup because they are considered the same course? Nowhere, in any decent restaurant that I have ever been, or on other cruise lines, is the appetizer and soup course considered one and the same. Courses: appetizer, soup, salad, entre, dessert. This is what I expect in the dining room and surely expect in the supper club.

Please tell me I am wrong.......we are looking at the supper club as an option for more than one night if we are unsuccessful in getting a table for two in the dining room.

Judy

Then you might want to stay away :p LOL For $30 measily bucks, you get a very nice dinner... I don't see how one could eat ALL that food... I got 2 appetizers and thankfully shared the crabcake. The crab bisque IS one of the appetizers... I don't think they have a soup "course". After the appetizer, salad, meal, dessert and all the extras, I felt like I was going to explode. If you are going to be disappointed by missing that extra course, you might want to avoid it all together.

Here is the menu... from Serene56... one of each:

STARTERS

TRIO OF ESCARGOTS

Baked in Brioche, wrapped in rice paper and

classic Bourguignone

BEEF CARPACCIO

Sliced raw beef tenderloins with shaved parmesan cheese

marinated Mache Lettuce

SUSHI PLATTER

Ahi Tuna, Salmon, Shrimp and Unagi with Pickled ginger and Wasabi

ICED RUSSIAN CAVIAR

1oz of Suvruga Cavier with tradional condiments and buckwheat blinis

an Extra $29.00 charge will apply

SHRIMP COCKTAIL

Colossal black tiger prawns with american cockatail sauce

NEW ENGLAND CRAB CAKE

on Roasted pepper Remoulade

LOBSTER BISQUE WITH VINTAGE COGNAC

Fleuron & Fresh cream

BAKED ONION SOUP "LES HALLES"

a parisian Classic

SALADS

CLASSIC CAESAR SALAD

Hearts of Romaine Lettuce, traditionally prepared

BABY LEAF SPINACH AND FRESH MUSHROOMS

with blue cheese , warm bacon dressing

TOSSED GARDEN SALAD

Greens, radicchio, tomato wedges, Purple onion rings and watercress

Choice of House, Ranch, or bleu cheese dressing

SIDE DISHES

Baked Potato with trimmings

Sauteed medley of fresh mushroomsYukon old mash with Wasabi Harseradish

Spaghetti with fresh tomoato sauce

Grilled fresh vegetables in season

Creamed Spinach with garlic

ENTREES

BROILED NEW YORK STRIP LOIN STEAK

14oz of the favorite cut for steak connoisseurs

CLASSIC PORTER HOUSE STEAK

24oz of the best from both worlds

BROILED FILET MIGNON

9ox for the true Gourmet

CHILEAN SEA BASS

Lobster Nage-braised sea bass over young spinac and mango salad

BROILED LOBSTER TAIL

served with drawn butter

BROILED SUPREME OF FREE RANGE CHICKEN

with blackberry port wine reduction

GRILLED LAMB CHOPS

double cut lamb chops

served on five-bean cassoulet and rosemary jus

BROILED PROVIMI VEAL CHOP

center cut from the highest greade milk fed veal

SAUCES AVAILABLE

three-peppercorn sauce

wild mushroom sauce

sauce bearnaise.

CITRUS CHEESECAKE WITH HAZELNUT BUSCUIT

Burnt basmati and Mango Ravioli with almosd and marcarpose jam

WASHINGTON APPLE TARTE TARTIN

served with chocolate and leon balm salad

CHOCOLATE TARTE WITH BITER CHOCOLATE PATE

rasberry & pineapple croquant, tiramisu notre facon

FRESH FRUITS

assembly of tropical fruits and berries in seasonserved with homemade sherbet

SELECTION OF INTERNATIONAL

I read a post here on the Cruise Critic boards where one poster indicated that he tried ordering two appetizers (a crab cake and soup) on his Carnival cruise and was told "no" twice.

That definitely had to be a post about the supper club... as there are no crab cakes in the dining room... if so, I'd have had more than one, believe me!

In the dining room - YES, you can have as many appetizers, soups, salads, entrees, and desserts as you can handle. I often try two different appetizers.

SO - Don't worry. You can eat till your heart's content. Hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise.:)

Peggy[/quote With all due respect, you can't get a meal like you get at the supper club for 30.00 a person ANYWHERE, the meals a HUGE and the food is excellent, service outstanding. The 30 bucks is what a family of 4 would spend at a self serve restaurant in lots of areea. I truely can't see how a person would want more than one serving of something there. In the dining room the servings are much smaller, but the supper club? my god it's amazing food. I pay the 30 per person and ENJOY and leave stuffed, all without extra servings. Have you eaten on a carnival supper club before? The portions statisfied even my second helping man. Enjoy :D

Am I getting this correct? If we go to the supper club, (and pay $30PP) we have to choose between an appetizer OR soup because they are considered the same course? ...

They do appear to be the same course.

I cannot be 100% certain, but I am reasonably sure you could sweet talk your way into substituting out the salad course in favor of a soup course. I just think it may be a problem to ask for appetizer + soup + salad, which is three courses in the place of two.

I almost always substitute the salad course in the main dining room for a second appetizer.

If you try this, let us know how it worked out for you!

Kyrisong1 -- I was never interested in "more than one serving of something." All I am interested in is an appetizer and the soup, which in the Supper Club appear to be in the same category. Also, no one needs to explain to me what $30 can buy in the real world of eating out. I used that argument to get my husband to go to the Supper Club on RCCL's Mariner. Boy, was he happy that I talked him into it!! When we ate in the Supper Club on the Mariner, the quality and service were by far the highlight of our cruise meals. I don't have to leave the table "stuffed" to be happy. I just enjoy the appetizer and soup portions of the meal the most. My point is that I should be able to have what I enjoy the most for the extra $30 pp meal. I liked what Salty Dingo had to say.... maybe I can have both and eliminate the salad. If not, I know we will enjoy the meal no matter what. Now I have to figure out which night to go......

Peggy

Okay, so I have a really silly question (please don't kill me for this), but a lot of the appetizers for the super club sound amazing, and don't appeal to me as much as the main courses. (I'm not a huge meat fan to be honest, and I can't believe I don't see a pasta). Do you think the super-stict supper club would let you get two apps in lieu of an entree? I know thats something the regular dining room and restaurants back home would do, but I'm not too sure about the supper club. This is really just a hypothetical, as we aren't sailing on Carnival anytime in the near future, but I just had to ask to settle my curiousity.

Okay, so I have a really silly question (please don't kill me for this), but a lot of the appetizers for the super club sound amazing, and don't appeal to me as much as the main courses. (I'm not a huge meat fan to be honest, and I can't believe I don't see a pasta). Do you think the super-stict supper club would let you get two apps in lieu of an entree? I know thats something the regular dining room and restaurants back home would do, but I'm not too sure about the supper club. This is really just a hypothetical, as we aren't sailing on Carnival anytime in the near future, but I just had to ask to settle my curiousity.

I never had frog legs before in my life, until the Valor supper club. Never wanted to before then, either, but I figured the time was right. Life is short and all that.

The entrees are truly to die for. I don't recall any totally vegetarian entrees, though. You could always ask.

If I were you, I would go to the supper club when you board and explain your unique circumstances. Good luck!

Beth, I'm sure they want you to get 'your money's worth' at the supper club, so they probably don't offer a pasta dish because it's so very inexpensive, and most folks probably wouldn't order pasta. I'm rather surprised, though, that they offer only one fish and one seafood as entrees.

CITRUS CHEESECAKE WITH HAZELNUT BUSCUIT Burnt basmati and Mango Ravioli with almosd and marcarpose jam SELECTION OF INTERNATIONAL

Would happen to have recipe for this? I know it the wrong board but I also knew you'd see it here. I thought you were giving out recipes from a Carnival Cook Book? If you can do this, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marmarjudy

Judy

Then you might want to stay away LOL For $30 measily bucks, you get a very nice dinner... I don't see how one could eat ALL that food... I got 2 appetizers and thankfully shared the crabcake. The crab bisque IS one of the appetizers... I don't think they have a soup "course". After the appetizer, salad, meal, dessert and all the extras, I felt like I was going to explode. If you are going to be disappointed by missing that extra course, you might want to avoid it all together.>>

Above poster is missing my point here: I am not talking about "quantity"--we have found that gourmet food usually comes in small portions. The supper club claims to be "fine dining" and fine dining establishments offer five courses: appetizer, soup, salad, entre, and dessert. We may not choose to have all five courses, but we should have that option in a supposedly "fine dining" establishment that charges extra.

Geesh.....we aren't looking to stuff ourselves....it's quality, not quantity. We are looking for a "fine dining" experience as an option. Money is not the issue, at all, it's the principle. Maybe Carnival's definition of fine dining is much different than ours.

Judy

Then you might want to stay away :p LOL For $30 measily bucks, you get a very nice dinner... I don't see how one could eat ALL that food... I got 2 appetizers and thankfully shared the crabcake. The crab bisque IS one of the appetizers... I don't think they have a soup "course". After the appetizer, salad, meal, dessert and all the extras, I felt like I was going to explode. If you are going to be disappointed by missing that extra course, you might want to avoid it all together.

Here is the menu... from Serene56... one of each:

STARTERS

TRIO OF ESCARGOTS

Baked in Brioche, wrapped in rice paper and

classic Bourguignone

BEEF CARPACCIO

Sliced raw beef tenderloins with shaved parmesan cheese

marinated Mache Lettuce

SUSHI PLATTER

Ahi Tuna, Salmon, Shrimp and Unagi with Pickled ginger and Wasabi

ICED RUSSIAN CAVIAR

1oz of Suvruga Cavier with tradional condiments and buckwheat blinis

an Extra $29.00 charge will apply

SHRIMP COCKTAIL

Colossal black tiger prawns with american cockatail sauce

NEW ENGLAND CRAB CAKE

on Roasted pepper Remoulade

LOBSTER BISQUE WITH VINTAGE COGNAC

Fleuron & Fresh cream

BAKED ONION SOUP "LES HALLES"

a parisian Classic

SALADS

CLASSIC CAESAR SALAD

Hearts of Romaine Lettuce, traditionally prepared

BABY LEAF SPINACH AND FRESH MUSHROOMS

with blue cheese , warm bacon dressing

TOSSED GARDEN SALAD

Greens, radicchio, tomato wedges, Purple onion rings and watercress

Choice of House, Ranch, or bleu cheese dressing

SIDE DISHES

Baked Potato with trimmings

Sauteed medley of fresh mushroomsYukon old mash with Wasabi Harseradish

Spaghetti with fresh tomoato sauce

Grilled fresh vegetables in season

Creamed Spinach with garlic

ENTREES

BROILED NEW YORK STRIP LOIN STEAK

14oz of the favorite cut for steak connoisseurs

CLASSIC PORTER HOUSE STEAK

24oz of the best from both worlds

BROILED FILET MIGNON

9ox for the true Gourmet

CHILEAN SEA BASS

Lobster Nage-braised sea bass over young spinac and mango salad

BROILED LOBSTER TAIL

served with drawn butter

BROILED SUPREME OF FREE RANGE CHICKEN

with blackberry port wine reduction

GRILLED LAMB CHOPS

double cut lamb chops

served on five-bean cassoulet and rosemary jus

BROILED PROVIMI VEAL CHOP

center cut from the highest greade milk fed veal

SAUCES AVAILABLE

three-peppercorn sauce

wild mushroom sauce

sauce bearnaise.

CITRUS CHEESECAKE WITH HAZELNUT BUSCUIT

Burnt basmati and Mango Ravioli with almosd and marcarpose jam

WASHINGTON APPLE TARTE TARTIN

served with chocolate and leon balm salad

CHOCOLATE TARTE WITH BITER CHOCOLATE PATE

rasberry & pineapple croquant, tiramisu notre facon

FRESH FRUITS

assembly of tropical fruits and berries in seasonserved with homemade sherbet

SELECTION OF INTERNATIONAL

Hi, Is this menu pretty standard on all the ships...particually the "Glory"? Thanks:)

....That definitely had to be a post about the supper club... as there are no crab cakes in the dining room... if so, I'd have had more than one, believe me!
Cotton, check out the new menus that Serene56 posted; day #6 has New England Crab Cakes as a starter:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=340472

We just got back from the Valor and I almost ordered them, but I went with two main courses (the Quail and the Chateaubriand) instead. If anyone is interested the Chateaubriand was very good, but I think I'll pass on the Quail next trip.

John

Archived