Driving to Brooklyn Port using RT.278

tedd

We will be driving to the Brooklyn Port in August to board Crown Princess from the Phila. Area. Plan to use RT. 278,

hows traffic on Mondays?

What are the best hours to travel?

Any surprises?

Any help would be appreciated.

I am assuming you will take the NJ Turnpike to exit 13 the Goethals Bridge to 278 accross Staten Island....In the morning rush hour this is a mess and you can't use the express lane because there is no exit until you are in Manhattan. Plan to be on the last section after 11 whwn the traffic should be better- but not much...

Tedd,

I'll be eagerly reading to hear how you made out when you get back. Like you, we're from the Philly area and I'd like to drive and park rather than worry about a limo service. We've tried both the private limo and van type in the past. Private was great but very costly. Van (shared) we got burned on because our ship was late. Never again. Definitely want to drive. Please report when you get back and have a wonderful trip.

We are leaving on a Friday , so we did a practice run on a Friday in June. From Essex county took the same Route Tpke, exit 13, goethals bridge, rte278 Verranzzano Bridge straight to Hamilton st exit. We need to be at the ship for an early boarding wedding 10:30 am. So I figured with traffic it could take 1-2 hours. We left at 8:30 and were at the pier by 9:15. (Driveing leisurely) We caught the tail end of traffic, only about a mile or so of slow down. I feel this was due more to construction than rush hour. Of course, the ship wasn't in port so we did not have the crunch of disembarking passengers. The route is simple enough, and from what I've read on the posts you get on the ship fairly quickly. I think it will be much easier than Manhattan.

We drove into the terminal on 6/14 from Bethlehem, PA using the same route. Left here at 10am and arrived at the terminal around 12. We really sailed right through. Going home on the 23rd, I noticed that the traffic moving from the VZ to Hamilton Ave was noticably slower than our trip in, and I do agree it was mostly from construction. So, you may hit a bit of a snag when you get close (so close, yet so far!) but the early part of the trip should be just fine. Have a great time!

Archived