excursions???

DAWNIE626

there is so much to do...where do i start?

HILO

-thinking about the Hawaiian eco-safari $76 or the Hilo & Kilauea Volcano $81, but would like other suggestions.

KONA

-Pawai Bay snorkel tour $89 for 4.5 hours

-raft & snorkel adventure to Kealakekua Bay $85 for 3.5 hours

-Valley waterfall hiking adventure to Pololu Valley and Kapoloa Falls $129

NAWILIWILI

-Kauai Helicopter flightseeing of NaPali coast, Waialeale Crater, Manawaiopuna falls & Wailua Falls - 50min flight $194

LAIHANA

-Lanai wild dolphin & snorkeling adventure $81 for 5.5 hours

-Molokini & Turtle arches snorkel picnic $81 for 6.75 hours

-we will definitely do the Old Laihana Luau (on own)

OAHU

-one day we will definitely do Arizona memorial, but what else should we do here - beach and shopping day?

If you have done any of these excursions or know of a private thing we can book that is awesome, I would love to know.

Also, which is the best location for snorkeling and which island is best for helicoptor tour?

I am getting so antsy!!! I was also thinking of renting a car in Maui to do the road to Hana on our own then maybe an excursion on the second day.

Please advise. BTW, there are four of us ages 27 to 53. THANKSSSSSSSS!

You have a good basic plan. I would advise you to rent a car in Oahu and Maui, at the very least. I rented one on every island, and was glad that I did. In Oahu, we drove from Waikiki in a counter-clockwise direction along the coast. Stopped at Lahaina beach among other places. One day, we went over Pali Lookout on our way to the beach. One day, we went to PunchBowl Crater.

In Kauai, we drove to Poipu Beach. On the Big Island, we drove through the Mauna Loa lava fields, down to South Point, then to the Punalu'u black sand beach.

The point I'm trying to make is you don't have a very much time on any of the islands, and you want to use what you've got wisely

Dawnie,

We're doing Hawaii as a land vacation. Our TA told us not to spend the money on a rental car on Oahu because The Bus (public transportation) is so good and so cheap. http://www.thebus.org (He DID say to be sure and rent a Jeep on Maui, however.)

For what it's worth. . . this is another way to approach your time on Oahu.

Sue

The Bus is a very good system, one of the most highly rated bus systems in the US. Having said that, if you're planning on exploring a variety of places (especially on the North Shore) and you want freedom of movement, having a rental car will still be better. This is of course dependent on your tolerance of waiting at bus stops, your dislike of driving (especially in traffic), and the amount of destinations that you plan to visit outside of walking distance.

Spleen

Archived