Boatyard

heid5

Anyone been to the Boatyard lately? We spent the day at Green Monkey Beach last year. The cabbies did not seem to want to take us to the Boatyard. Anyone else have that happen?

Anyone been to the Boatyard lately? We spent the day at Green Monkey Beach last year. The cabbies did not seem to want to take us to the Boatyard. Anyone else have that happen?

Yes - had the exact same thing happen to us in June last year. Cabbies tried very hard to convince us the Boatyard was not the place to go. Our kids were insistent that we be true to the advise our dining room waiter's assistant, Victor, had given them. Boatyard it was! We enjoyed it.

Yes, same thing happened to us last August, the driver told us the place was not good and wanted to take us to the green monkey, he told us that the owner of the Boatyard was having some kind of dispute with the people on the Island and they wanted to take business away from him, I have been the the Green Monkey beach before and did not care for it. We ended up walking to the boatyard and saved alot of money on taxi fare.

Yes I found that too. When I asked, I was told that taxis, depending, dont like to go to the Boatyard cause its not far enough away from the port so they can only charge a fixed small amount, where as if it was further away, they could charge a higher rate.

Well, that's kinda in the ballpark....

Actually, they know that as soon as they take you to the Boatyard, there will be a group that wants an island tour for US$150 of a trip to the East Coast for US$75.

They feel that by agreeing to transport you for US$3.00, they will miss the big bux and you can't blame them, can you?

Just walk past the horde of drivers, through the Gatehouse out to Spring Garden Hwy and get a "non-union" driver who will be grateful for the fare. Or, better yet, take the suttle or the bus for a buck. Easy deal.

Don't let those taxi drivers hoodwink you! There are many ways to skin-a-cat in Barbados and save a buck, too.

Happy travels! :)

What a great suggestion, Mr. Barbadso!! Can you tell me approx how long a walk to get out to the main highway to catch the shuttle or bus?

With the price of fuel....I can understand the cabbies "feelings", Its all about making a living!

Deb

It's quite close. Check out the map:

barbados-map3.jpg

You'll exit the southern gatehouse and walk toward Pelican Villiage.

Turn left at Pelican toward Cheapside. Cheapside is where you want to be as it turns into Spring Garden Hwy, our main west coast hwy.

I suppose it may be a 10 minute walk. Actually, another 10 minutes and you could walk to the boatyard.

Thank you! I especially like the map. Can you point me to where it came from as I would love to print an expanded version!

If all goes well....my DD's husband has family there and perhaps we won't have to walk anywhere if we can get together with them! ;)

Also, do you remember any bars around the port (other than the Boatyard) that we could use for a group to get together before returning to the ship.

Thanks so much for your help!

Deb

Find the map(s) here (at the bottom of the page):

http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/islands/br/brm.shtml

Now that you've got those maps, The Boatyard is down on Bay Street, across the river and near my favorite hangout when I venture into B-Town: The Waterfront Cafe.

The Waterfront accross the bridge after National Heroes Square and a quick right on Canvas Ln. This is called the Careenage, a place where ships were dry-docked and repaired hunderds of years ago.

Here is their website:

http://www.waterfrontcafe.com.bb/aboutus.asp

The Waterfront is a nice spot. Good food, good grog and live music every evening. A good spot to stop for a get together. There are many rum shops in the area, ask anyone and they'll be glad to advise if the Waterfront isn't quite in the right spot.

Best wishes for a wonderful time on the island! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went to the boat yard last week and enjoyed it.. except the price of food, which extortionate (sorry for the spelling if it's not right).

As locals we got a rate of 5.00USD per person, it was me and 3 kids who all paid the same price as I did. Not sure if this is the same price as a tourist would pay, but I was told today it used to be about 15.00usd for entry.. We got one drink ticket each and use of the water toys in the bay.. trampolines, climbing float, rope swing (when they decide to open it).. and use of a beach chair.. not an umbrella which will run you 2.00usd for the time you are there.

we had a good afternoon.. beach is nice.. water basically calm.. the only problem came when I ordered 2 baskets of fries and paid 14.25 in total. I nearly fell off my chair... someone else told me that a burger is 14.00 and have no idea if thats with chips or not.

Re the rum factory.. it's closer to the port than the boatyard.. your best bet would be to walk to the rum factory on Spring Garden Highway.. then get a taxi to the boatyard from there. and set a time for the driver to come collect you to go back to the port and stick to it (not sure if they will do it, but you never can tell).

The Mount Gay Rum Tour is accross the Spring Garden Highway from .. or close enough too.. Weisers on the bay, but the don't have the water toys..and I don't think you pay anything to enter.. Ala Carte for everything.

cruzinfreak,

thanks so much for the photo. The water looks awesome. Do you pay one flat rate to get into the boatyard? Or do you pay extra for the use of beach chairs, and the water toys, rock climbing and trampoline? Would you recommend to go to this beach when our cruise comes in in November?

Your welcom DJ,

There is a flat cover charge to enter the Boatyard for the use of their facilities. It is $15 and includes a free cocktail drink, beach lounge chair, fresh water showers, wash/changing rooms, trampoline, rock climbing float, rope swing (used only when the sea is at high tide if not the water maybe too shallow for it to be safe) and return transport back to the cruise terminal. They also have a restaurant and beach bar to get refreshments and a shop with souveniers and beach accessories available (if your like me...never have enuf sunblock!!:o ) You can also rent a beach umbrella for extra $2 for the day. I HIGHLY recommend it!!:)

Okay so for a family of 4 it would cost $60.00 just to go to this beach. Seems a little high. This is the first post I seen about transportation back to the ship.

I hope someone can post updated info that was just there. Sounds nice.

All the things that are included for the 60.00 for a family of 4 is not really just "going to the beach".. if you want to do that, grab a taxi in the port and tell them you would like to go to Paynes bay, by the coach house, or Accra/Rockley Beach. on both you will find beach chairs and umbrellas to rent, places to eat and get drinks.. at Accra/Rockley Beach (but not at paynes bay) you will also find bathroom facilities as well. No water toys, or rope swings etc.. (not that you need that to spend a nice day at the beach)

• 1 month later...

Archived