A few (hopefully) quick questions

dogdoc2002

Hello all-

We're getting ready to leave in a few weeks for our vacation and cruise. We're going with another couple, and trying to come up with our "attack plan" for seeing the islands.

1) When we return on Saturday on the POAm, is there a place for storing our luggage or sending it directly to the airport, leaving us free to rent a car and explore on our own. We've been looking at doing the Grand Circle Tour, but at $90 a person, that's a lot of money- although it maybe worth it if we don't need to worry about lugginng our luggage around.

2) Does anyone know when the 1/2 price night in the specialty restaurants is, or does it vary by sailing.

3) When renting cars at the various ports, is it best to book ahead, or no big deal to pick one up when getting off the ship? Also, when searching on Travelocity, what are you using to search for prices by? I've been using the closest airport, but have NO clue if it is really the closest thing to the pier

4) If we purchase an internet package on the POAm, and don't use all the minutes, are we out of luck, or do we get a prorated credit?

5) I know they card things to our onboard account, and that we need to leave them a credit card number. Do they charge this everyday, or just at the end of the trip? If we then wanted to settle up at the end with Traveler's checks, could we do that?

I think that's it for the questions, although I'm sure I'll think of other things later.

dogdoc2002

I can answer one or two.

You can go online to reserve rental cars without paying for them. We did this directly with Alamo. Since you are coming in a coulpe of weeks and its peak season, you might want to do this so you know what's available. Yes, you want the airport rental sites when docking in Hilo, Kapahulu and Kauai. For tendering in Lahaina and Kona, I am not sure.

For the ship charges, you will get a printout on the last night of everything you did while on board. It is at that point you can go settle the account any way you want....or to not do anything and have it charged to the card you supplied.

Regarding your luggage, if you go straight to the dock there is a place right there that will store your luggage.

As for the internet minutes, use them or lose them. They will disappear fast enough.

Ship's charges for me were made to my credit card on the last day of the cruise. I am sure you can settle up with cash or traveler's checks they day before.

The 1/2 price restaurant on my sailing was the first night only. After that they fill up quickly.

Be positive and I guarantee you will have the time of your life.

We were on the June 3-10 sailing of the Pride of America. The 1/2 price nights at the specialty restaurants were Sunday and Tuesday nights. We only knew about the Sunday night in advance. Tuesday night was Lobster and optional formal night too in the main restaurants - the Liberty and Skyline. We went to the Lazy J Steakhouse on Sunday night and it was out-of-this-world delicious! We had the most tasty crabcakes I have ever had and filet mignon you could practically cut with your fork. We were too stuffed for dessert but they looked delightful. On Tuesday we had Lobster in the Liberty and it was wonderful too. We booked the free specialty restaurant, Little Italy for both Wednesday and Friday. They have the same menu both nights so go look at it beforehand. One night I had the beef medallions and the other their really excellent lasagna made with excellent spicing and spinach (and I make a mean lasagna myself - so that is really something!) Little Italy also makes caesar salad to order at your table and we just enjoyed the whole ambience there. Reserved a window seat for the Napali coast cruise-by on Friday evening.

We used Thrifty on all the islands and it was excellent. When we got off the ship on Saturday morning we simply walked across to the little park across from Aloha Tower and caught the Thrifty shuttle bus to the airport location. No problems! We had our luggage in the trunk all day because Delta would not take it that early as our flight wasn't until after 10 pm. Just never opened our trunk and we had everything we needed for the day with us in a small mesh tote bag for the beach, etc. Could have rented a locker at the airport, I guess, but didn't want to take the time away from our planned circle tour (on our own) of Oahu. Had a super great day and then just returned our rental car filled with gas and they shuttled us to our departing gate for our flight home. We followed a circle tour route similar to what some of the tour companies do. I got a brochure ahead of time and planned accordingly. We especially liked the arch carved in one day several years ago during a tsunami in Laie; Waimea Falls Audubon park where after about a nice 1/2 mile hike you van swim under a waterfall; Bonzai and Sunset beaches, and Shave Ice at Aoki's or Matsumoltos on the North Shore. Also went to the Dole Plantation. Yummy pineapple ice cream treats!

Thanks everyone for your help, I love these boards! Someone recommended making reservations for Little Italy during the sail by the NaPali Coast- what time does that usually run? I know we leave Nawiliwili Harbor at 2. I had originally thought about eating a lunch once we got back on board and gawking during the sailby, then eating dinner. I would like to get some awesome pictures of the sail by.

Seems like the 1/2 price specialty restaurant varies by the sailing. If I ask when we make reservations after boarding, will they tell me what night(s) the half price dinners are? Or just a pleasant surprise?

Thanks again!

dogdoc2002

We made reservations for as early as they would take them that night because you start sailing past the Napali Coast by about 3:30-4:00 PM. I believe they open at 5:30 but ask when you make your reservations and take the earliest time and ask for a window seat. :) We went and took pictures from our port side balcony first and then went down to Little Italy for dinner and more photos. It was such a beautiful sight to eat by and we stayed until the coast was almost not visible anymore.

Regarding your luggage, if you go straight to the dock there is a place right there that will store your luggage.

Does anybody know what it costs to store luggage at the pier for the day, and if there is a set time it has to be picked up by? Also, is it safe to leave a laptop in storage there?

THANKS!!!

dogdoc2002

• 2 weeks later...

Archived