A RCCL Cruiser Considering Carnival Spirit to Alaska

czarinahil

[COLOR=Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I don't want to upset anybody, I am just looking for information.

I still think of Carnival as having the reputation of being a less classy, party ship. I am hoping this is no longer the case as my husband and I are considering booking the Carnival Spirit to Alaska for July '05. As a previous RCCL cruiser they would have been my first choice, but the other couple we are cruising with want to keep costs down as much as possible. We are all in our early 30's and like the idea that Carnival seems to attract a youger crowd, but we don't want to loose any of the nice touches and ammenities we have come to enjoy.

Can anyone who has been on thes cruise let me know?

Thanks![/COLOR]
Hilary[/FONT]

If this would be your first cruise to Alaska, Carnival, NCL, RCCL, and Celebrity would be secondary considerations because they do not have the tour infrastructure, Glacier Bay Permits, or Priority Docking in the ports. Princess is the MAJOR player in the Alaska market followed by Holland America. Your first cruise should include Glacier Bay because you have the opportunity to see the complete TIde Water Glacier environment and see first hand the reclamation of the land as the Glaciers recede. From the entrance of the Bay to the Glaciers you can view the ongoing process first hand. Hubbard Glacier is spectacular as is Tracy Arm or Misty Fijords but they don't have the visual reclamation process. College Fijord also does present a decent overview of the Tide Water Glacial Environment but not quite to the same extent as Glacier Bay. The cruises that offer both College Fijord and Glacier Bay are really good for first timers but the cost will be more than a 7 day round trip from either Seattle or Vancouver as you have to Fly into Anchorage and out in either Vancouver or Seattle on a open jaw ticket basis plus the hotels as it is best to arrive in Anchorage at least one day prior to sailing. But if you have flexible schedules and attitudes, Priceline and Hotrwire are really worth investigating. The 10 day out of San Francisco is also a thought. Another poster pointed out that Holland America and Princess have the most ships in the market to fill every week. There were fares available at the end of April and the beginning of May 2004 for High Season departures running between $499 and $599 on both Princess and Holland America for your basic inside cabins which would allow you to sail on one of these two lines. However, CCL, NCL, RCCL, and Celebrity often have access to Glacier Bay very early or very late in the Season with comprable fares for those times. The weather has been abnormally warm, clear, and dry this Summer in Alaska and the Inside Passage. The High Season for Alaska Cruises is Mid July to the third week in August. The weather is usually the best and the salmon are running-return ing to their home spots to spawn. Once the salmon start, wildlife viewing reaches it's prime. With patient research on the various Alaska Websites, travel sites, etc, you and your friends should be able to travel on a vessel that will meet your needs for amenities at affordable rates. The Alaska cruise specials start showing up at the end of April. The land based tour programs offered through the cruise lines can be pricey at times BUT I have seen very attractive last minute offewrs for the tours in May and early June, and there are other alternatives depending on what you can afford in time and money. Book your own air but get the transfers. I personally enjoy traveling on the Alaska Railroad and they have 2-7 packages that are very reasonable. So get cracking and clicking you have some research to do this winter in preparation. It will be worth it as the Geography is just awesome and overwhelming and the people are really firiendly and pleasant and helpful.

[quote name='czarinahil'][color=black][font=Comic Sans MS]
I still think of Carnival as having the reputation of being a less classy, party ship.
Can anyone who has been on thes cruise let me know?[/font][/color][/QUOTE]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=navy]Hillary,[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080][/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080]The "party-boat" characteristic has been gone for probably 10 years. With the exception, maybe, of the 3-day "weekenders".[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080]I'm guessing the "average age" of a Carnival cruiser on the Alaskan itinerary will be a little older than their overall average for a Carnival cruiser (probably true for all lines). [/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080]Its ironic, I'm a true blue Carnival cruiser and I want to do Alaska early or late next summer. HAL offers better pricing for an inside and oceanview cabin on many dates than Carnival's SPIRIT. And for the same reason you're looking at Carnival over RCI, I'm looking at "biting the bullet" and trying HAL. [/color][/size][/font][/i][i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080]HAL ships sell out sometimes months in advance for suites, mini-suites, and balconies, but frequently have difficulty selling the inside and oceanview cabins. Often their pricing is below Carnival on more and more itineraries these days.[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080]You can't go wrong with the SPIRIT, however. I recently cruised her sister the PRIDE. Beautiful ships with great service.[/color][/size][/font][/i]

[COLOR=Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Thanks you all so much for your responses.

Since taking in the natural wonders is the pirmary objective of this cruise, Princess and HAL will move to the top of the list.

I was shocked to find in my initial research that many room categories and even cruises were already sold out a year in advance. Do you think people book just in case and then cancel later on?

Hilary[/FONT][/COLOR]

You might be better on Holland America. They have been doing Alaska for ages and have lots of good itineraries - and they have a reputation for being a great cruise for seniors. Princess would be a good second choice.
As for the ship - it is a lot like the Radiance class on RCI, but will less windows. (The size and shape of the ship are about the same.)

If you MUST make your choice only between Carnival and RCI
IMHO (6 RCI cruises 5 Carnival and 19 on other lines)
Carnival has better food - RCI has better food service
Carnival has slightly larger staterooms on average. Service is a toss up.
Carnival extra tariff restaurants are WAY better than any on RCI but they have no murder mystery.

I am infamous for posting that on my last 2 cruises I saw a belly flop contest on one (RCI Brilliance) and had high tea to the tune of a classically trained oboe player (Carnival Pride) on the other. On Triumph, I enjoyed the string trio. There has been a major market shift between these two companies. I wonder how long it will take the rest of the world to notice.

Archived