Elation Review from 1st Time Cruiser

LisaTX

As stated, I am a first time cruiser and I thought the Elation was fabulous!!!! I did expect small cabins so that was not a shock and it wasn't a big deal as we were only in our room to change and sleep!!! I took Bonine the entire time and did not get sick at all; however, there were a couple of nights when we could really feel the ship rocking, but I was not alone as veteran cruisers also felt the ship really rocking and said so!

The following lists my dos/don'ts, ideas and suggestions:

1. Progreso is not worth getting off the ship. I understand Meridia is beautiful but if you are just planning a beach trip - forget it!!!!

2. Cozumel Paradise Beach is AWESOME!!! Beautiful water, floats, water trampoline, iceberg for climbing in the ocean, chairs, tables and a fantastic restaurant right at your fingertips!!! Our waiter Fernando was superb and Paradise Tom really appreciated the milk (he likes chocolate too) and Twizzlers.

3. Belize is absolutely the most beautiful water I've ever seen!!! We booked a cruise with Coral Breeze to snorkel at Shark Ray Alley and Coral Gardens. The people in our group that did not snorkel loved exploring the island of Caulker Kaye and had a great lunch of fresh lobster for about $6.00!!! I did enjoy the snorkel trip although there was not much to see at Coral Gardens. Did see stingrays and sharks as promised. The boat was a HUGE disappointment as we were packed in like a cattle truck and was not conducive to all of our gear!!! Apparently the Coral Breeze boat was booked and Star Tours took us out - I'd love to know if this was anyone else's experience in the past!! I would much rather have taken a Carnival excursion for and additional $10 and tendered directly off to excursion and directly back on; however, I understand Carnival does not do Caulker Kaye so that's your trade off, but if you're snorkeling it may not matter to you.

4. Camp Carnival for kids 12-15 needs major help!!! It is a disorganized mess and at the orientation (if you could call it that) you didn't even meet the counselors or have a formal presentation - just fill out paperwork and leave. I would highly recommend that Carnival rethink this program and make it more fun and structured.

5. The activities on Carnival were a lot of fun - we had a group of 24 and we were involved in almost every event - so we had a great time.

Get involved and you'll have fun!!!

6. Do not purchase the video - it does not include the entire cruise. For our group that had participants in Game Show Trivia, The Horse Auction and Race, Survivor at Sea, The Scavenger Hunt, The Hairy Man Contest, Deck Games, Deck Party, Line Dancing, etc. most of these activities were not filmed - shame and waste of money!!!

7. My kids 12, 14, and 16 loved every minute and are ready to cruise again!

8. I did take an over the door shoe hanger which was recommended on these boards and was very happy I did - we had 3 in our cabin so it was really helpful.

9. I took Walkie Talkies but found it was difficult to hear - maybe a higher quality talkie would work better, but ours were fairly expensive and it was not worth it.

10. I did take sodas in my suitcase and it was well worth it - I also took a rolling collapsible ice chest and our steward iced it down and I took it off to Progreso and Cozumel without any questions or problems.

11. I took too many clothes but hey, live and learn! Everything is really fairly casual and during the day a swimsuit and coverup is the attire. I wore one shorts outfit the entire time, other than dinner!

Hope this helps someone - I don't want to make too lengthy. We had a blast!

Hey Coachcruiser we never did meet you....

LISATX

All of us cruisers waiting to go on the Elation so appreciate it when you guys that have just "been there, done that" come back & tell us all about it. :) It is both informative (always get lots of good tips that way) and highly entertaining as we "wait our turn" for cruising.

We've got teens going in our group, so even though it was disorganized, did your teens enjoy the Camp Carnival activities? Or did they just hang out on their own?

Want to mention this in case you heard of any in your group having gone on this excursion and can give any input on this. We're STRONGLY considering the Altun Ha/river wallace tour while in belize. It's me & DH and kids ages 13, 14, 10, & 7. Me & DH want to see some ruins again (saw Tulum in March--loved it) and we think the kids would enjoy the river ride, so we'd all have something to look forward to. Thoughts?

Thanks again for the info, I really enjoyed reading about your trip.

Didn't hear of anyone doing that trip in Belize - most did snorkeling trips (to my knowledge) although one family in our group of 24 did see ruins in Progreso. My 12 year old had 4 of her best friend on the trip with her and they did try to get involved in the activities; however, it always seemed as if the group of 5 were the only ones participating; i.e., karakoe, name that celebrity, etc. She is pretty friendly and I feel that she would have made friends with other kids had she not had her own group with her. My 14yo son had a blast and really enjoyed the disco - he participated in the scavenger hunt and met TONS of kids. My 16yo son met a group that he hung with and also had a good time but it took him a day to get going - playing basketball helped him meet some kids. They all had a really great time and we were informed by the Carnival Counselors for the 16-18yo group that there were approximately 750 kids 15 and under and more than that in the 16 and older group!!!!

Lots of opportunity to meet and mingle. We did make our kids (14) in the whole group come to dinner every night as that was a good time to actually see them and reconnect!!

Have fun and hope this helps!

LisaTX

THanks for your help, I'm going on Elation in January. Wondering about excursions to Mayan ruins in Progresso? Did anyone in your group try it?

Didn't know if it would be worth it.:confused:

To Hilltopfamily: We just recently were on the Elation and took the Altun Ha/River Wallace tour. We thoroughly enjoyed it. My wife and I and two daughters 20, 13. The tour guides were great and very knowledgable. The tour consists of about a 30-40 minute bus ride to the Altun Ha ruins--at which we spent about 45 min to an hour. Very interesting and a relatively small, compact site with not a lot of difficulty getting around. We then got back on the a/c bus to go to a meeting point for the river trip. At this scenic location, we had the opportunity to do a little shopping at about a dozen small flea market type booths and to have a $5 meal of belizean-style chicken, rice, beans and a small cucumber salad. It was very tasty and enjoyed by all. The river boar ride was great. A small but very fast boat zoomed down the river to various locations and slowed or stopped to point out things of interest including howler monkeys, crocidiles, lots of different tropical trees, iguanas, etc. Closer to the opening to the ocean, the river has a number of nice homes to see up close. Lots of beautiful scenery--about 45 minutes of riding. The river empties into the ocean at a manatee sighting location and we saw several up close. Kids loved it. Boat returns you right to the tender loading area at the Belize tourism center. We had about an hour left to shop before needing to catch the last tender back. Some will take the bus to the ruins and then the boat ride, others will take the boat first and then the ruins. I suggest the bus first if you have a choice as it gets hotter later in the day and we found the boat ride to be nice and refreshing. Enjoy.

thank you to everyone who helped answer my questions. The report on Altun Ha/River Wallace was very helpful! Sounds like it has a bit of something for everyone in our group. Pretty sure now that I've read your info that we'll book it. And it does sound like my kids should be able to find enough to do to keep busy & have a good time on board!

thanks again----as I said earlier it really helps those of us waiting and planning for our cruise.

Cruised on the Elation 5/23 and did Goff's Caye in Belize - we have never seen such a beautiful island - or should I say sandbar. It was in the middle of nowhere and gorgeous. Just a beach of sand and a few palm trees. also did the Catamaran sail, snorkel and beach in Cozumel. This was a great excursion - First, you snorkel and then head for a private beach. Free all you can drink rum punch, beer and sodas both on the catamaran and at the beach.

LisaTX, I read in abother thread about your bad stay at

the EconoLodge in Galvastan. Could yo be more specific

about the conditions at this property? I have resevations.

Should I cancel and try somewhere else? Thanks

Cancan,

I was at the Econolodge with LisaTX. Their family asked for a non smoking room and it was very smoky smelling. Our room was not smoky smelling but it just wasn't all that clean for a 3 year old motel. The location is good. It is one block from the sea wall and within walking distance to some restaurants. It just depends on what you are looking for. We knew that it wasn't going to be luxury and we were only going to be there to sleep so we didn't go in expecting alot. Now that I know how it is I would pay a little more and stay somewhere eles. That's just my opinion. Please ask if you have more questions. Stacey

redryder75: I hope you don't mind my asking but I've got 6 in our group going so it would help me a lot w/budgeting if you can recall what the cost of the Altun Ha/River Wallace excursion was? Adults and kids prices if possible. And lastly, did you book this through Carnival once on the Elation, or did you book this ahead of time through a private organization? thanks so much, just want to firm up our plans as we're getting really close now. :)

It is so great that you all can give advice to those soon to go. We go on the 8/15 Elation, and cannot wait. My question, anyone hear about just taking a cab to Dzibilchaltun ruins? I hear there is a swimming hole there too to cool off since I should be nice and toasty there in August! Any info would help. Thanks!

It is so great that you all can give advice to those soon to go. We go on the 8/15 Elation, and cannot wait. My question, anyone hear about just taking a cab to Dzibilchaltun ruins? I hear there is a swimming hole there too to cool off since I should be nice and toasty there in August! Any info would help. Thanks!

Some friends that we met on our cruise did this, so I know it's possible. We ran into them out there with their private guide.

The cenote is not to be missed, it was amazingly refreshing, even in May. It alone is worth the trip out there!

Hilltop: Sorry to take so long to reply but I have been away a couple of days. We booked through Carnival after boarding (within a few hours). As I recall, the price was $65 per person--We all had to pay the adult price, so I am sorry, but don't remember the child's rate.

Archived