POH 4/07, best excursions with kids ages 6 and 8?

smnornes

I've tried searching but for some reason the search function isn't working for me.

I've been brownsing through the huge list of shore excursions and am having trouble deciding which ones would be best for us...family of 4 (DD6, DS8, DH and me.)

We will for sure see the Pearl Harbor Memorial, etc in Honolulu. I think we will also do a dolphin swim in Honolulu since we're doing a 2 night pre-cruise there. The kids really want to see the volcanos and lava flow. And of course, we'll take in a luau somewhere.

We enjoy trekking off on our own, so renting a car at each port would be fine, but then what? Can you recommend some excursions that will keep the kids and adults happy? I appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

We did HI on POAm twice. Once with just my DD (10YO) the other time with DD and DGN (grandniece) also 10YO.

We did a ships excursion in Hilo to VNP - it had three stops at VNP (two at steamy craters and one in a rainforest/lava tube - very nice) and one at the macadama nut factory. To me it seemed a bit too cursary - so we rented a car the second time around and spent more time at VNP - did a lot of hiking and had a great time. WIth the littler ones, the bus tour may be enough.

We did a snorkel trip on Maui with the Pac. Whale Foundation. (while I still have not been able to convince DH to snorkel, the girls and I had a great time!) We also snorkeled on our own at other ports. Where the Whale foundation's store was, was the same strip mall as the Maui Ocean Center. Great place with touch pools, programs and all local species. We've never booked a ship's excursion there, we've just taken a taxi from the pier.

Honolulu has a nice zoo. It is in the park at the end of Wikiki beach (the end toward Diamond Head).

Ill be back to anwer your question. We live here and our kids are currently 6 and 8 so I can help a lot. Renting cars would be my #1 recommendation. I cant answer in full now but I wanted to make sure this stayed at the top of the topics list.

OK

Rental cars I think are key. You can go off on your own, get a snack or drink, take potty breaks, naps (mine usually fall asleep in the car) and even MacDonalds runs if you need to. Hawaii is easy to get around so directions are easy too. Just be sure to be back at the rental company an hour before sailing to make sure you have no problems.

Oahu - This is where we live. There is SO much for kids for the time frame you have. You wanted to do a dolphin adventure and a luau....Sea Life Park JUST started a luau. They changed hands last year and supposedly the new owners are more into helping the animals and making the park better. We havent been in a year but are seriously due. We are talking about taking the kids to the luau there because there is more kid-friendly food, you can walk about the park and enjoy it. And if the kids are bored of the show, you can see other things.

The zoo would be rather small and disappointing if you live near San Diego or Washingtons zoo. I dont know where you are from but the zoo is a great morning trip...we are zoo members actually....but it might be smaller than youre used to. They JUSt opened a Childrens Petting section. They also have new tigers and a new female orangutan (the Male is quite the star here).

The aquarium is also VERY small if youre used to Boston or Seattle. However everything in the aquarium is from local waters so worth a peek. You can feasibly do both the zoo and aquarium in the same morning...and not move your car since they are close.

There is a place called the Childrens Discovery Center near Kakaako Waterfront park. It opens for short hours every day (9-1 last time I looked) but its a place that kids can explore, dress up, climb on, and test out lots of hands on activities.

People often overlook the Bishop Museum, but they have a new science center focusing on Volcanos...and a building that houses touring exhibits that are mainly kid-oriented. Right now is "grossology...the impolite science of the human body" which is a BIG hit with my son (aged 6). I dont know when youre coming but the next after this one I believe is Dinosaurs.

My kids love nature so there are quite a number of good kid hikes. We usually bring a camera or bird book so they can explore and learn things about hawaii. Waimea Falls Park on the North shore is a hit. You can swing around to Turtle beach on the way back at dinnertime to see the turtles resting. remember they are endangered and protected though so do not approach....just watch them. We often see Sea Lions as well. The kids love getting a shave ice and watching the surfers too.

I forgot to mention that the places I mentioned usually have coupons in the Entertianment Book so that is worth getting for discounted tickets.

On the Big Island, Hilo side, there is nothing like Volcanoes National Park. Hike into a crater, build stone monuments to Pele, explore the lava fields, sulfur fields and watch the steam rise from the rocks that are still warm to touch. Go into Thurston Lava Tube and watch the kids faces light up. Bring flashlights because at the end is another section of tube that is unlit but open to explore. My kids loved the nature aspect again so field books are fun. I believe the park has a Jr Explorers Pack.

On the way back down, stop at the rainforest zoo. My kids loved it there. It is another small zoo but free to get in and a nice peaceful walk and stretch.

Akaka falls is nice but wont take much time so save it for last.

Another option is the Puna area with Lava forest, black sand beaches, heated pools etc....check out The Revealed Guides for more about that.

On Maui, I agree about the ocean center for small kids.

We havent been to Kauai since our kids were 3 and 5 so maybe I cant help there.

Sorry I keep having computer issues today!

Waimea Falls on Oahu also has like an explorers pack you can rent with binoculars and such. I forgot to mention.

So on the Kona side of the Big Island, you can head over to the Hilton. They have Dolphins on site and you do not need to be a guest to watch them.

If I know what time of year youre coming, I can help more with some special events.....

I do know that the Honolulu Academy of Art has a monthly Kids Day which is free and involves lots of crafts and activities for the kids. We go virtually every month because my kids cant get enough of that place.

Compadres Restaurant at Ward Center on Oahu has Kids eat Free on Sunday. Its Mexican fare but with American dishes as well.

Make sure to get out to Pearl harbor as early as you can get everyone out. Even a small wait can seem like an eternity with a 6 and 8 year old. My kids also loved the Missouri....its fun exploring the ship.

At the Aloha tower, you can feed the fish in the area by the Star of Honolulu Ship. Look out for the unofficial state fish - the Humuhumunukunukuapu'apa (That as close of a spelling as you'll get from me! ;) ) which means the fish with a nose like a pig. They are all around the tower and fun to feed. You can do this free activity before or after your cruise. There is also a small maritime museum there that is quick to go through but intertesting history of ships in Honolulu.

Thats sort of a brain dump....feel free to ask questions and give me the time of year you'll be here and I can dig out some more for you.

WOW!!! THANK YOU so much for taking the time to help me out! We will be sailing over Easter, 2007. My kids would like to much of what has been shared. Give them a flashlight (or binoculars, or a fake camera, or walkie-talkies) and they're happy for hours! ;)

Volcanoes National Park...are we better off hooking up with a tour guide, or exploring ourselves?

I think Sea Life Park for dolphins and a luau and a snorkeling trip with PWF will definitely go on my list! Thanks again!

Thank you for the great Info. Do you know any thing else about the other stops for the cruise on the other islands? And what would be a good luau for us to go on. We are staying at the Marriot in Waikiki and want to get the whole luau experience but again we have 6 adults and 4 kids ranging from 2-10 years old. This will be our first time to Hawaii. Thanks M

Youre welcome. :)

Spleen is right, you do not need a tour guide for VNP. When you enter the park you are given a map. A quick stop to the ranger station and you can get more information on current conditions, those Jr. Explorers Packs, books, supplies, anything. There are lots of signs around the park to help you around too. I recommend the Kilauea Iki Crater for a hike. It is across from the Thurston Lava Tube I mentioned before. My kids were able to do it at ages 5 and 7 and in the rain...even though it looks like quite a hike. Once youre down there, its an absolutely amazing sight.

I forgot to mention as a general tip to bring a lot of water. The sun is incredibly strong even though the air temperatures dont indicate a heat wave. My daughter often finds herself dehydrated after playing outside. Kids are harder hit so they need to be reminded to drink often. Also with the sun comes dangers of sun burn.....usually fast and hard. Even my brown son can get burnt if I miss a spot. So hats are a must.

As for the luau that Poquettetrio asked. My kids have been to only one Luau and that was the Hale Koa's. They got itchy about 1/2 way through the show although I have to admit that so was I. We went to Paradise Cove without the kids....there they have the polynesian games before the dinner that they wouldve enjoyed but the length of show is what is tricky for little ones.

I honestly know nothing more about the Sea Life park Luau since it is so new, but looking at the menu and schedule of events, it seems like a more enjoyable experience for kids. They let you explore the park before dinner and there are different animal shows on top of the traditional Imu ceremony, dinner and polynesian revue. I would figure that it would be easier to get up and walk around there if the kids were itchy. I was hoping to take my kids to it during this summer vacation...especially since we are moving away soon. If we go I will report back.

Sorry I cant give more on the other islands. Oahu is the island with most of the touristy things for the kids. The other islands have lots of beaches, nature hikes, snorkling, boat rides and the like so you might be best to save those activities for those islands.

I did forget to mention (and sort of on purpose) the Hawaiian Waters Adventure park. Its exactly what it sounds like. A theme park with pools and waterslides. I didnt mention it because for a family of 4 it would break your budget...but I mention it if you get a coupon in the entertainment book and need something more to do after everything else.

Archived