New Year's Eve -- single on NCL

trish1c

A female friend is trying to convince me to go on the NCL Dawn out of NYC over the New Year's Eve holiday. There will be others in our group so it's not like I'd be sailing solo.

I've cruised NCL before & liked it but as part of a couple. Has anyone ever done an NCL cruise as a single? I've read NCL is the worst line for singles. I'm wondering if it will be better or worse because its New Years. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I have never cruised as a true single but a lot of times I'm cruising with my mom ( I'm 33 ). It works well for us as we spend some time together on tours or go off on our own. We meet up for dinner then split up again to do what we like. This being said I've just returned from the NCL Jewel & found very few singles. The bars were rather empty pre dinner & those that were there were couples. This all may be in part because we were in the Med so it's more of a couple's destination, in my opinion, you wouldn't find a bunch of singles hopping on a plane & heading to Europe. I had a nice trip but it felt really different from my past cruises with RCCL. I would think that New Years Eve may be different, a bit more lively, Also, if you're travelling with a group it may be more entertaining. I hope this helps :)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, she convinced me. We booked the other day.

On my roll call thread I found out there will be 2 single guys in their 20s but compared to them I'm an old lady & closer to their mother's age. :eek:

I'd love some suggestions from other singles about what to do / how to meet other single travelers on board. I have cruised before & am a reasonably friendly / outgoing person, but I was always part of a couple. I will have other friends on board, but would like to meet new people. I understand NCL has the worst singles program out there. So what's a girl to do?

I've sailed on Princess, NCL and Carnival. NCL was the worst for singles in my opinion. AS much as people talk about Carnival being all a young low 20's single crowd.... I found plenty in all age groups, and had a great time hanging out and meeting people.

Good luck on the NCL. I would think that New Years would at least be a better chance for singles.

Thanks Georgia. I'll put up with a bad singles program b/c I love freestyle cruising & this particular itinerary. I am not cruising to meet the love of my life. I would like fun people to hang out with. Any suggestions on that front? I'm already on my Roll Call thread.

If I was going on an organized singles cruise per se, I would be open to sailing Carnival; most of the events seem to be on those ships anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Trish:

I have only cruised twice - both on NCL and both times I went alone. I am 44 and I loved it! I think it depends on what you are looking for when you go. I like being by myself and I made so many friends onboard. I was not looking for any other singles so I cannot honestly tell you how many singles were on board. I went in April and again in September. I am also considering the New Years cruise out of New York!

Cindy

Archived