Are kaki shorts and dressy top ok for a smart casual night?

mstv

It's interesting, Ethel, you jump on everyone's case, don't you?!

Shame on you!!:mad:

So Ethel offers here opinion (which is shared by many) and your response is to bash her???

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Wow, I have been on 14 cruises (6 different cruise lines) & never seen it happen. Maybe you have been on more. What do the dining room staff do? Ask you to leave, tell you to change your clothes? I am curious. :o

On a Celebrity cruise I was seated near the front entrance and on two evenings I heard the maitre'de tell to people that their attire did not meet the evenings dress code and if they wisheed to dine in the dining room they'd have to change. He handled it very gracefully.

On A Carnival cruise I saw them come to the table of a person who was wearing a tank top and jeans and told him he needed to leave.

It amazes me how some people do not understand what no shorts in the dining room really means

It amazes me why some people continually flaunt the suggested dress code.

It really amazes me why we continue to talk about it. Probably no one is going to change their mind. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A person can and should offer helpful, friendly advice - that's what this forum is for. However, Ethel's words were snide and rude:

Ethel wrote: "If a pregnant woman is so uncomfortable that she needs to wear shorts in the dining room or be waited on in the HC, then she should not be away from the comforts of home!"

I feel that what she said was nasty and uncalled for.

It's almost as though she does not care if she's actually helping anyone, so much as she wants to just voice her opinions to let the world know what she thinks.

That's what I think ;)

A person can and should offer helpful, friendly advice - that's what this forum is for. However, Ethel's words were snide and rude:

Ethel wrote: "If a pregnant woman is so uncomfortable that she needs to wear shorts in the dining room or be waited on in the HC, then she should not be away from the comforts of home!"

It's almost as though she does not care if she's actually helping anyone, so much as she wants to just voice her opinions to let the world know what she thinks.

That's what I think ;)

Different views I guess. I read the same quote and don't take it as rude at all. To the point maybe but not rude.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpowmacback

That's what I think

Different views I guess. I read the same quote and don't take it as rude at all. To the point maybe but not rude. End quote

AHRACER - If you read Ethels other posts on other threads you will see that her modus operandi is snarky remarks not helpful advice or a different view that some of the other posters offer. She seems to get peoples goats when she stirs the pot.

[

AHRACER - If you read Ethels other posts on other threads you will see that her modus operandi is snarky remarks not helpful advice or a different view that some of the other posters offer. She seems to get peoples goats when she stirs the pot.

AIRGIRL - I read most of the posts on here. As I stated before different views.

First of all, I admit to having only read parts of page 1 and skipping to page 6 - but I wanted to say thanks to Druke I for pointing out that KHAKI as a color has an H - that was bothering me immediately.

Second, there is always someone that thinks the guidelines don't apply to them. I just don't understand what makes these people tick - the ship sets the guidelines for the enjoyment of the passengers as a majority. Why would one person think they don't need to follow them?!*

And as for Ethel's comments, I think they are right on! I've been pregnant and found a loose dress much more comfortable than a pair of shorts or pants anyway. Anyone not able to dress appropriately should not participate in the activity, be it on the sea or on land. The idea of "dressing for dinner" is a special and cherished practice that needs to be preserved not bashed into smithereens!

Since I haven't really posted on this thread since 7/7 at which time I said we should end this thread and I only made a remark to AHRACER on 7/11, I really don't see why you are still carrying on. I have offered several alternatives to the OP and I never attacked her personally-I spoke to pregnancy in general. It seems to me that some of you are deliberately looking for an argument and I'm not playing.

my cousin who is not pregnant, but is a senior citizen and travels alot, brought a pair of black slacks and a black skirt,

switched off every nite with different tops, dressy for formal nites and casual for the other nites. no one noticed, not even us. who's really looking?

just relax and have fun. that's what it's all about!

It amazes me how some people do not understand what no shorts in the dining room really means

It amazes me why some people continually flaunt the suggested dress code.

It really amazes me why we continue to talk about it. Probably no one is going to change their mind. :rolleyes:

:p Thanks for saying what I was thinking! ;) So true that it's FUNNY! :D

Given that the OP already has her answer, and has agreed to go along with the dress codes, isn't this bickering moot?

Spongerob, you are absolutely right. I was reading these boards to get info on my upcoming cruise on the Crown, but I've really been turned off by all the bickering that goes on. It's a shame that someone can't ask a perfectly legitimate question without getting blasted or called a troll. I was so excited when I found this board for exchanging information about cruises, but it's gotten to the point that I'm not comfortable asking any questions as it seems that there are lots of people who think that us newbies are asking dumb questions that we should already have the answers to if we have booked a cruise and have done our homework. That poor pregnant woman is probably sorry she asked a simple question.

I must also say, however, that there have been several very nice people who were happy to answer my questions.

Very true....but the shorts shown in the Macy's link are below the knee, so they fit your definition of pants. ;) Fashion is so confusing! :eek:

LOL I don't really care too much, I was just kinda lazily reading the thread and thought I'd think through my keyboard a bit.

Wonder how many women in shorts they'll turn away, and how many women in minishirts they'll happily let in...hahaha! :p

My vacation starts tomorrow everyone! YAY! Talk to you when I get back!

I suspect that the only ones in shorts they will turn away are men.

:D

Largin I think your right!! Just off the Crown & met a very nice couple we ate dinner with a few times...both professionals, never heard of CC, guess what HE showed up in for dinner? Just guess, you don't wanna know, but he looked fine from the table up...good thing there was long tablecloth to cover him up!! LOL

OH NO! Did it start with SPE and end with EDO??? OH NO!:eek:

Spongerob, you are absolutely right. I was reading these boards to get info on my upcoming cruise on the Crown, but I've really been turned off by all the bickering that goes on. It's a shame that someone can't ask a perfectly legitimate question without getting blasted or called a troll. I was so excited when I found this board for exchanging information about cruises, but it's gotten to the point that I'm not comfortable asking any questions as it seems that there are lots of people who think that us newbies are asking dumb questions that we should already have the answers to if we have booked a cruise and have done our homework. That poor pregnant woman is probably sorry she asked a simple question.

I must also say, however, that there have been several very nice people who were happy to answer my questions.

Beadcruiser, please don't hesitate to ask your questions. If I have a question, I try scanning the different threads as maybe someone has asked the question in my mind. But sometimes, it was asked many pages of threads ago... And those people who say to search...maybe they haven't received a blank page after trying to initiate a search (it happens much of the time to me). But if I see someone post a question that I may be able to answer, I'll try to answer in a nice way, even if it's someone's first post.

Beadcruiser' date=' please don't hesitate to ask your questions. If I have a question, I try scanning the different threads as maybe someone has asked the question in my mind. But sometimes, it was asked many pages of threads ago... And those people who say to search...maybe they haven't received a blank page after trying to initiate a search (it happens much of the time to me). But if I see someone post a question that I may be able to answer, I'll try to answer in a nice way, even if it's someone's first post.[/quote']

Thanks, Cruisin' Chick. I do scan any threads that I think will answer my question before I ask it, but you are right, you can't spend hours going way back to see if the question has been asked before. Also, searching doesn't always come up with the answer. Us newbies really do appreciate people like you!

Archived