Indonesian 101

bepsf

• 1 month later...

I think I have some of those basic Indonesian phrases committed to memory. However, I can only ask "How are you?" but not respond to the question. How do I say, "I'm fine thank you."? I assume it starts with Saya...but what comes next? Also, how do you say a simple "yes" or "no"? I was surprised the web site did not cover these.

Salamat

On the Zaandam at the beginning of the month, I asked one of the bar stewards how to say 'thank you' in his language. He taught me 'salamat'. So I tried to use it every time I got myself a soda from the bar or when one of the bar staff brought me one. Whoever it was always got a HUGE grin. I'm sure I kept moving the accent around (like salami with a t or like salamander with a t) so sometimes it was right and sometimes it was wrong, but they always seemed pleased I was trying. One fellow replied something in rapid Tagalog which I was sure was "You speak Tagalog?" So I said, "No, just 'salamat'." He repeated "Just salamat?" and then laughed and laughed. So I tried and at least I gave them a good laugh.

Robin

I speak Indonesian and the correct way to answer Apa Kabar (How are you) is Biak ( pronounced bike). Here are some common phrases:

Good Morning Selamat pagi

Good Day Selamat Siang

Good Afternnoon Selamat Sore

Good Evening/Night Selamat Malam

Did you sleep wel Apakah anda tidur aknock

Dinner was delicious Makan malan enak

Thank you Tirimi Kashi

These are a few phrases if you wish further translations please let me know

ps: Brian everything looked correct except for What is your name? "Siapa nama anda?" Or "Siapa nama kamu" if your are intimate friends.

• 2 months later...
The bar staff (waiters and bartenders), most of the wine stewards, the cooks in the Lido, as well as most of the Deck Department guys (i.e. the guys that "drive" the tenders, the quartermasters on the bridge, etc.) are Filipino. You won't find any Indonesian females on the ships but you will find Filipino girls in the Front Office, Neptune Lounge and, as stated, as bar staff & wine stewards.

All sailers and quatermasters are indonesian and not filipino. The security guards can be Filipino or Indian and there are some Indonesian females on board, the ones from housekeeping that clean the (public) toilets.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Wouter']All sailers and quatermasters are indonesian and not filipino. The security guards can be Filipino or Indian and there are some Indonesian females on board, the ones from housekeeping that clean the (public) toilets.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Bedankt Wouter!;) Sure thought most of the Deck Dept. was Filipino [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]We had a couple of Indonesian girls on Prinsendam in August so things must be changing![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived