Getting There Early

VICKIVICKI

Okay, after reading this board for months, I have learned many things[thanks all] including to arrive early at the embarkation port. We intend to be in port in galveston a little bit after 10 AM. I know that there will be many more cruisers also there quite early. I was curious though, how many cruisers will arrive that early{i am aware there will be variations per cruise] I mean, can I expect to be waiting with half the cruisers for the cruise that early, a third, a tenth, or what? thanks

17.4% of cruiser will be there by 10:30, temperature outside will be 79F, wind out of the East at 6mph, and humidity will be 45%.

lol....humidity will be closer to 145% in Galveston though...hehe

Seriously though....In three sailings from Galveston we have allways arrived between 10:30 and 11:15. We never waited in a line for more than a few minutes except to board the ship. We were able to board before noon once and only a few minutes before. The other two sailings were a few minutes past noon.

In my opinion 10:00 is too early. The curb will still be crowded with people leaving the ship. We believe 10:45 is the best time to arrive.

Okay, after reading this board for months, I have learned many things[thanks all] including to arrive early at the embarkation port. We intend to be in port in galveston a little bit after 10 AM. I know that there will be many more cruisers also there quite early. I was curious though, how many cruisers will arrive that early{i am aware there will be variations per cruise] I mean, can I expect to be waiting with half the cruisers for the cruise that early, a third, a tenth, or what? thanks

First thing to consider is that "all is well" and the ship arrived on time and debarkation is going well. If so, arriving early is great. Anything before 11:00 is too early IMHO. I have had best luck arriving around 11:30. Your behind the real early birds (who hurry up to wait) and the big crowds to follow. BTW--my guess is that about 10% will be there before noon

Good luck!

Until reading a post yesterday, I've never heard of anybody arriving at the port at 9:30 or 10, or even 10:30!:eek: WHY?

Some passengers from the last cruise are still getting off the ship or waiting for cabs, etc. Early arrivals would impede the debarkation process by being in their way....like salmon swimming upstream.:D Why in the world would anybody want to wait around a busy terminal while past cruisers are in there? Makes no sense to me.

I arrive around 11am. The terminal is clear, most new passengers just arriving, and the wait is very short. By noon, I have usually dropped off my carry-on in the cabin and am enjoying a nice lunch on Lido.:)

In New Orleans, we always arrived between 10 and 10:30, dropped our luggage with the porters and ran up to the Riverwalk for biegnets.

All other ports, we arrive about the same time after eating a late breakfast and just sit and visit until boarding time. We enjoy starting our cruise early!!

Until reading a post yesterday, I've never heard of anybody arriving at the port at 9:30 or 10, or even 10:30!:eek: WHY?

Some passengers from the last cruise are still getting off the ship or waiting for cabs, etc. Early arrivals would impede the debarkation process by being in their way....like salmon swimming upstream.:D Why in the world would anybody want to wait around a busy terminal while past cruisers are in there? Makes no sense to me.

I arrive around 11am. The terminal is clear, most new passengers just arriving, and the wait is very short. By noon, I have usually dropped off my carry-on in the cabin and am enjoying a nice lunch on Lido.:)

Cotton, the times I have arrived at 10:30, I haven't seen a single other passenger from the previous cruise... it's never been chaos... they are used to people getting their early and they have things pretty well under control... it's never been chaotic, and we are always some of the first on the ship. I'd rather be there, than sitting at my hotel :D

Hey friend. I can understand that in N.O., being next to Riverwalk, and those beignets and Cafe auLait ARE tempting!:) Otherwise, I can't imagine being there so early.

LOL, yes they are!!!

We travel with LARGE groups... the taxis, shuttles, etc tend to get clobbered the later it gets, with so many in town heading to the port... so earlier is definitely better for getting transportation for a large group... plus, it's all part of the excitement... when I wake up, I am ready to go, as soon as we finish up the friends of ricky and lucy meeting by the pool :D

I'd rather be there, than sitting at my hotel :D

Ain't it the truth!! On 3 separate cruises, we ran into folks who we have cruised with before (while waiting to embark). They walked up to me and said " you sing karaoke, don't you? We sailed with you on ~fillin the blank~ or they can't remember which ship, so we start going down the list to compare and see if we can figure out which one it was.

So how easily I am entertained!!

Because of a very early flight, and we would rather sit and wait at the pier than sit and wait at the airport!

Getting there early means you can also tell people about Cruise Critics and maybe sign up some potential future posters. Besides CC wear I intend to have a laminated sign attached to my carry-on so people can ask me what it is all about.

Is 11am also a goodtime for Miami boarding? I have to drop off the rental car and was wondering about catching the rental car shuttle to the port vs just taking a taxi.

I also think arrival time also depends on the port. Some ports are set up better than others to handle congestion. As much as I love New Orleans, it will get tight quick until the construction of the new parking garage is over with.

Lots of folks get to the Long Beach port early to do the early check in on the Queen Mary, but the downside is there is not "sitting and visiting"...it is standing outside and visiting...so be aware.

I love Port Canaveral and Tampa. We have only cruised out of Miami once and it went pretty quickly.

If you get there around 10:00am, don't expect much company until around 11:00am.

I was just thinking, now that we are "Platinum", will it change "when" we arrive, since we won't be sitting where we can chat with a lot of fellow cruisers???

Long Beach was our first VIP embarkation, but that did not really count because we wanted to see the Queen Mary (so we had an additional reason to get there early).

I guess we will see in October. We may adjust to 11AM instead of 10-10:30.

Because of customs, you generally can't get on board until after 11am anyway...

We got there around 11:30am last time, I think. We didn't sit around at the hotel...we got up, went and found a nice diner for breakfast and relaxed as we enjoyed our food and some coffee before we approached chaotic h*ll also known as Port Canaveral on ship day. (They had construction going on when we were there and there were cars EVERYWHERE trying to get in to drop off people, park, etc. It was quite confusing as to where we were supposed to go. Once we parked, though, it was smooth sailing...so to speak.)

This is from the Carnival Website: I think it's because so many people complained about waiting without water in the heat.

Important Embarkation Arrival Advisory

spacer.gifWe strongly encourage you to arrive at the cruise terminal no more than 30 minutes prior to the scheduled embarkation time for your cruise. Due to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, early arriving guests may not be permitted to enter the cruise terminal upon arrival. Early arrivals may have a prolonged wait time in potentially warm or inclement weather conditions. For your comfort and convenience, please plan for your arrival at the cruise terminal no more than 30 minutes prior to the scheduled embarkation time for your cruise.

We leave Galveston July 30 Depart at 4:00pm..... I believe embarkment begins at 1:30pm until 3:30 pm

Temperature 88 degrees, heat index with humidity 103 LOL --- anyway, I'll be there around 12:30-1:00pm

I used to be a firm believer in being there early. On the last 4 cruises, we've arrived between 10:45 and 11:30 for each one. We always had a line, sometimes short and sometimes long. We just left from the Manhattan terminal a week ago and got there a little before 1:00 and got on the ship in the quickest time ever, with no lines! I don't think I'll be arriving at 11:00 anymore.

Years ago for our first cruise on the Paradise we arrived in the port of Miami at 0830. Don't bash. We did it because our daughter was getting off the ship from her first cruise and we were getting on for our first. Had to talk to her and find out how she like it. We visited for about 30 minutes, she left and we people watched. They did let us into the terminal.

Years ago for our first cruise on the Paradise we arrived in the port of Miami at 0830. Don't bash. We did it because our daughter was getting off the ship from her first cruise and we were getting on for our first. Had to talk to her and find out how she like it. We visited for about 30 minutes, she left and we people watched. They did let us into the terminal.

No bashing here. Everyone has their reasons for how they like to cruise. (and when to start it) That is what is so wonderful about cruising. Everyone can "do their own thing". Glad you got some time with your daughter.

Archived