Snorkeling on our own

Katar

Hello all,

DW and I are booked on Norwegian Spirit for September 2nd 8-day Carribean cruize from NYC. We will be stopping at St. Thomas, Tortolla and Bermuda. Our last cruise was also on NCL and in Bermuda. While we enjoyed cruising immensly (thats why we're going again!), I would like us to do something different this time -- we want to go snorkeling! At the same time, we prefer not to be dependant on a group. So here is a couple of questions:

1) What are the advantages of going on a snorkeling excursion vs. being on our own? Other than the obvious safety in numbers, not missing our boat, having a place to store our belongings, renting equipment (we'll have our own), etc., are there any specific reasons why taking a bus or a taxi to a nice secluded beach would not be just as good of an experience? I also assume that those who organize and/or lead these excursions probably know of the best places to snorkle, but how important it is really to be with a guide?

2) We (DW actually) have already decided that Bermuda will be reserved for shopping :rolleyes: This leaves 2 options for snorkeling: Totolla or St. Thomas. I hear that St. Thomas offers some really nice spots. Can anyone recommend a good and interesting location(s) on either one of these islands where snorkeling would be most fun?

Thanks in advance,

Stan

P. S. BTW, we have both snorkled in the past. I have done it almost daily (or at least weekly) for quite sometime, although not in the last 8-10 years, and never in the tropics. Mrs. has minimal snorkling experience but she is a VERY strong swimmer :cool:

Bermuda has some very good snorkeling but also excellent shopping--choices,choices.

In Tortolla the ship should offer an excursion to Virgin Gorda and the Baths.The Baths is some of the very best snorkeling that I have ever done.You can hike throught the huge boulders to little private pools are swim to the left outside of the rocks in the sea.Depths were 15-20 feet with lots of tropical fish.I think they rent gear here but I would take my own--a snorkel vest would also be good just to play it safe with the depth and long swim.The pools in the rocks were anywhere from 2-10 feet deep.The beach is also very nice.This place is the Caribbean of your dreams----not to be missed !!!!

I have only done scuba excursions in St. Thomas but my wife went to St. John and said Trunk Bay is lovely.I also hear very good reports on Coki Beach for shore dives and snorkeling.

Hope this helps.

i've done trunk Bay and Coki,, liked each equally.. altho Trunk Bay is absolutely gorgeous and Coki has great local flavor, such as chickens running freely on the beach.. however, going to Trunk Bay would consume most of the day and taking cab to Coki still leaves time for shopping

We booked with Godfrey on our trip to St Thomas. He will pick you up at the pier at either 9AM, 10AM or 11AM and transport you into Charlotte Amalie for shopping. He will store any snorkel/beach equipment you have while you shop. At noon, he will pick you up for an island tour, with stops for photo's. Last stop is at either Sapphire Beach or Coki Beach for two hours of snorkeling. Again, he will keep any valuables in his vehicle that you don't want to take to the beach. This is a nice alternative to taxi's, and he is such a nice man. Check out his website: http://www.godfreytoursvi.com/

Archived