Duty Free, Underwater Cameras &Theme Nights

Fortknox

Hi CC members

I am sure you past cruisers will be able to answer my questions:)

1. Duty Free - is it best & cheapest to buy at the Adelaide, Sydney airport shops or on the Sun & Islands? We would like to purchase a new SD card for our camera & I suppose some alcohol & perfume - not too sure what else?

2.On the theme nights do we dress up for the dining room? Unfortunately we wont be big on this as travelling from country SA to Adelaide on a small planes we have luggage restrictions & spending 6 days in Sydney prior just wont have the space. We are looking at Island & western nights.

What can we purchase on the ship & on shore for the theme nights?

3. Underwater Cameras - reading previous posts the Sun sells a camera that can be reused? Do they print the phots or download to disk & what is the cost & of course picture quality. Or is it best just to but the disposable cameras.

We have never snorkelled before & hope to get some good photos

Thanks Deb :p

1. Usually Vila is the best place for duty free. Alcohol, cigarettes that is. I have bought some good value perfume there too. Sometimes the ship is cheaper. I don't this the ship was particularly cheap for electronics, someone else might be able to help.

2. You change for theme nights after dinner, especially PJ night. You can go to the shows in your costumes. There is plenty of island stuff to be bought in Vila and cheap too. The ship does have items for each theme night, but sometimes they can be expensive. Better to take stuff with you for those.

3. I bought an underwater camera on the Sun that could be used. Make sure you buy it from the photography shop and not the other kiosk/shop. I think I paid $24.95 and that included processing of the roll of film in it. It was resusable and also had a flash. The quality was as good as any other photo place. I took some regular photos with it and they were clear. They will burn your photos to cd for a charge. I can't remember how much.

Island night, you get all you could want in Vila, that's usually the night they have Island night. Country and Western, a check shirt would be enough if you can't bring much. They did have 'cowboy/girl hats' for sale on ship. PJ's is easy, don't know much about other nights.

They will burn your photos to cd for a charge. I can't remember how much.

Skyrules mentioned in a previous thread the photoshop charges $9.95 to to download the contents of a memory card to CD.

Computer shops are usually the cheapest place to purchase SD cards. MSY sell 1gb SD cards for $35 and 2gb SD for $65.

MSY sell 1gb SD cards for $35 and 2gb SD for $65.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but what does MSY stand for? That sounds like a really good deal.

Karen

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but what does MSY stand for? That sounds like a really good deal.

Hi Karen. The computer shop is called MSY. I don't know what it stands for. They have very good prices. I shop there regularly. They have a website http://www.msy.com.au You can download their price list. Their prices are updated daily. The Morningside store can deliver.

We have purchased both the 1gb and 2gb SD cards. They are 60 speed.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Star-Man when I called P & O they advised that I could call 2 days out from sailing to find out what the theme nights would be.

The MSY sounds like a great deal thanks maf101 I will have to check it out.

Deb

cheers for that. they dont give you much time to get a costume together do they (with last minute packing going on).

No they don't but, from what I can gather (from my experience & what I have read on here), unless you're going on a short cruise or a really long one you can pretty much guarantee they'll have 2 formals, island, PJ, country & western, superhero & fancy dress. Our teens had a gender bender night. I actually think that would be a better night for all instead of superhero or fancy dress.

Karen

well my next one is 7 nights so i think im looking at the 2 formal nights (no problem, i love to get dressed up all fancy in my pin stripes:cool:) and one dress up night. we had the PJ party on the last one, so i would like something different

take care,

sam.

well my next one is 7 nights so i think im looking at the 2 formal nights (no problem, i love to get dressed up all fancy in my pin stripes:cool:) and one dress up night. we had the PJ party on the last one, so i would like something different

take care,

sam.

For some reason they don't really like to tell you what the theme nights will to be - probably so that you can purchase the overpriced theme wear they try to sell on board.

On a 7 night cruise you'll probably have

2 formal nights

Island night

PJ Night (this is a standard)

and one other, probably Country/Western, but maybe fancy dress or super hero. The country and western night is the most fun.

The first night and last night won't have any themes, first night because everyone's just getting on board and used to everything, and last night because you have to have your suitcases packed and out for collection.

For all theme nights except the PJ night you can wear the clothes/costumes to the restaurants for dinner.

Kym

Our next cruise is 14 nights. Will we still have 2 formal nights or are we likely to have 3?

Karen

Karen

a cruise of 14-20 days, 3 Formal nights (thats whats on the P&O website anyway:))

Karen

Karen

a cruise of 14-20 days, 3 Formal nights (thats whats on the P&O website anyway:))

Karen

Now you mention it, I rmember reading that. I figured it would be 3.

PS How's Shell & when are we going to see her photos?

Karen

PS How's Shell & when are we going to see her photos?

Karen

She's good.

I dont know when or if Shell will post the photos. I'll tell her you were asking again:D

Karen

No they don't but, from what I can gather (from my experience & what I have read on here), unless you're going on a short cruise or a really long one you can pretty much guarantee they'll have 2 formals, island, PJ, country & western, superhero & fancy dress. Our teens had a gender bender night. I actually think that would be a better night for all instead of superhero or fancy dress.

Karen

On Pacific Sky about 3 years ago, they used to have Gender Bender Night. It was the best fun to watch everyone dress as the opposite sex! :D They also used to judge who had the best costumes and do fun games up in the Star light Lounge. It is a shame that they don't do this anymore.:(

We have just returned to Australia from NZ - Went on Pacific Star R621 Auckland, Fiji, Tonga & back to Auckland - 11 nights. Wow!!!! Then holidayed in NZ for another 8 days.I found the best prices for duty free perfume at the airport before leaving Brisbane (atlhough, did buy some on ship as well). Prices for duty free alcohol on board Star were very good but we purchased ours at airport on way home, and we purchased disposable underwater camera at supermarket prior to trip and took with us. We had 2 formal nights, rock n roll, PJ party, western night & island night. On board Star you could buy western hat for $20, shirt $20 etc. I thought the prices onboard the Star were very reasonable. Hope this helps. Cheers :)

Archived