first time cruiser...booked on RCI Splendour, dining questions...

Howdy....we are so excited, been planning for months for our first cruise!

Regarding dining...is a coat & tie required or simply siggested attire?

Is it requested for every dinner sitting?

Any truth, that you can have any entrees off the dinner menu you want...that they literally will bring you whatever food you wish until you can't eat any more? Is the same with deserts...all you want?

Also, have heard the nights they serve Lobster..it is only lobster tails?

are you able to order dishes cooked to order...or you basically have to accept however raw or well done a steak comes from the kit

If you wish to eat in your cabin at dinner time, you can order off the same dinner menu that everyone else is getting?

Wow! What a lot of good questions! I will try to answer as many as I can.

1 and 2. Is coat and tie required for every dinner seating? It is highly suggested for the 2 formal nights. The other nights are more casual, but shorts are too casual. Khakis and a polo shirt will be fine for those nights.

3. Yes, it is literally true that you can have some of everything or more of one thing on the menu. My DH had every dessert for every dinner our first cruise! This is a great time to experience food that you have never had before. If you try something and you don't like it, they will bring you something else!

4. Lobster night (usually the second formal night) is lobster tail. The Head Waiter will come around and remove it from the shell for you!

5. Steaks come as you requested. Just remember that there are a HUGE amount of people being served, so it might not be exactly what as you order. There are so many different types of food, that my DH, who loves stead when we go out to eat, doesn't have it one single time on a cruise!

6. We have never eaten dinner in our cabin, so I don't know the answer to this one. We enjoy eating with our table mates and don't want to miss finding out what they did during the day!

Have a great cruise! The Splendour is a beautiful ship!

Howdy....we are so excited, been planning for months for our first cruise!

Congratulations! Enjoy yourselves.

Regarding dining...is a coat & tie required or simply siggested attire? Is it requested for every dinner sitting?

Jacket & tie are not required at every dinner. Some nights are casual; others are smart casual. They should be worn on formal night. IMHO a gentleman can never go wrong throwing a blue blazer over almost anything else but a golf shirt & khakis will be just fine most of the time.

Any truth, that you can have any entrees off the dinner menu you want...that they literally will bring you whatever food you wish until you can't eat any more? Is the same with deserts...all you want?

Yup, sort of. If you want two of something, especially if you have the 1st seating, order them at the same time so you have time to finish. You can't just sit there while the next seating is coming in.

Also, have heard the nights they serve Lobster..it is only lobster tails? are you able to order dishes cooked to order...or you basically have to accept however raw or well done a steak comes from the kit

I'm not a seafood person but I only remember seeing & reading about lobster tails. I do not remember ever seeing whole lobsters.

You can order your steak as you like it but remember, the kitchen is making food for 2,500 people simultaneously. It might not be perfect but it should be close. Hint: order it one degree less than you prefer (ie order medium rare if you want medium) b/c then it will be OK if overcooked or it sits under the heat lamps too long.

If you wish to eat in your cabin at dinner time, you can order off the same dinner menu that everyone else is getting?

No there's a room service menu.

I have ordered off the menu for Room Serve on Lobster Night on Navigator of the Seas and got it.

Tip for first timers: when you order Room Service ensure you order each and every item you need ie butter, sugar, salt, pepper. They will not think of these for you (ie toast dose not come buttered, you have to order it). Also if you order pop through Room Service it comes in a can and you must pay for it on you Sea Pass card. You should also tip the person who delivers the food. If you order a big meal then tip more if you order coffee and danish $1.00 or $2.00 is good.

On cruises under 7 days they do not serve lobster.

Archived