Baths excursion on E. Caribbean cruise

westerfiek

There is not too much to do or see in Tortola really. It is not as developed as St. Thomas or the US Virgin Islands. But the people were nice (nicer than the US ones in my opinion) and I would be surprised if the tour operators do not alter their schedules to accomodate the changes with ships since apparently so many are docking at odd times. Although the ferries seem like a great thing for we tourists, the locals have to rely on them for transport too.

wgeddings -- We will be visiting Tortola via the Westerdam in Nov. Our first visit to the island was also on HAL, but we didn't get to the Baths and decided if we did ever return, we would make it a point to do so. Thank you so very much for providing such detailed information and also the photos. I have spent a considerable amount of time searching, but was unable to come up with anything anywhere close to what you have posted. The first-hand narrative you've written is invaluable for first-timers and your time spent in doing so is much appreciated. Like you, we also found the people on Tortola to be very friendly, pleasant, helpful, and the island clean and interesting to explore. We are looking forward to our upcoming return visit.:)

You're very welcome Southbound. I have found that the boards have been a great help to me and I am finding that I really like writing about all the stuff I wish I had known before I went places so that hopefully I can help someone else get the right expectations and maximize their fun.

We've never had a "land" vacation to the Caribbean or, for that matter, any beach area, even though we live an hour from the Jersey shore.)

Is Tortola so terrible, even for Caribbean "virgins", that we should haul ourselves to the Baths, rather than trying to see the Island during our oddly scheduled 3 p.m. (not 2 p.m.) to 10 p.m. visit there, especially considering the fact that we've asked for early dining? Again, unlike most posters here, our Caribbean experience is almost zero, and Tortola will be our first port. Our Noordam cruise will visit far more islands than we've ever been to.

Joanandjoe....Hello from fellow "joisey" folks! :) Great question and I am looking forward to the replies.

My DW and I are also going for our inaugural cruise on the Noordam, January 6, 2007.... Our itinerary also takes us to Tortola with the same time constraint....

Thanks!

For gweddings...

Tommy, I am in awe! I've seen your pictures of "The Baths" and have read your very thorough review of Tortola/Virgin Gorda. I can't wait for my printer to complete spitting out all the pages of your entire "review" from your Zuiderdam cruise...all 15 pages of it. In my opinion the best reviews are the LONG ones. If you ever have an interest in sailing on the NORWEGIAN DAWN, I've got a "2005 review" that may rival yours from the Zuiderdam! Being a bit verbose through my computer keyboard, I can really appreciate all the time (and memory) that went into your "review". I'm much better prepared for my time at "The Baths" now. Thanks for posting the links to it and your pictures. As soon as my printer is done, I've got some great reading material to relax to tonight!

But before I go...one more question (please)...You mentioned having your snorkeling gear with you when you went to "The Baths". I don't recall reading (will check further when I read the entire "review") that you actually "snorkeled". Did you find you didn't have enough time to do that after your "hike"?

OK...I've really got two questions...Is there a tidal factor involved in the level of the water in the "pools" within the boulders that you have to "wade" through?

Guess I'm done now...time to get in some good reading!

Debjo

Thanks debjo. I did not notice or hear of much tidal effect so I cannot say for certain. Most islands do not show a huge difference in tide I think, especially when relatively small, like Virgin Gorda. As for the snorkeling, we had purchased gear to take on the cruise and lugged it around St. Thomas with us and planned to take it to the Baths. Getting ready that morning, we talked about it and decided we had snorkeled about all we wanted in the previous stops and were just not that interested in lugging the gear. We were really glad of that decision but we saw a lot of people snorkeling. We had plenty of time, ate a good lunch which was included in the price of the ferry ride, wandered around "town" (it is very small) and then waited almost an hour for the ferry. Had we decided to snorkel, we would have had plenty of time but I do not regret our decision to pass on the snorkeling (and gear toting).

For gweddings...

I thoroughly enjoyed my late night reading last night...your ZUIDERDAM review was terrific and I picked up many pointers for my sailing in her sister ship.

For namvet4...

Love the fact that you have a "count-up" clock in your signature for the length of time you've been married...how romantic is that!!!! Would you mind if I plagerized your idea when I get my 30th anniversary cruise for 2007 figured out?

Debjo

....Is Tortola so terrible, even for Caribbean "virgins", that we should haul ourselves to the Baths, rather than trying to see the Island during our oddly scheduled 3 p.m. (not 2 p.m.) to 10 p.m. visit there, especially considering the fact that we've asked for early dining? Again, unlike most posters here, our Caribbean experience is almost zero, and Tortola will be our first port. Our Noordam cruise will visit far more islands than we've ever been to.

Tortola is not terrible (where did that idea get started?), it is wonderful and one of the nicest islands in the eastern Caribbean. A great way to see it, which we did, is the Tortola Sea and See excursion. Not sure if it is available with your strange port time, but I bet it is- check HAL's shore excursions.

You take a boat from the Road Town harbor west along the southern coast of Tortola to Sopher's Hole on the western tip. Google a map of Tortola and you will see RT and Sopher's Hole. The guide on the boat gives a running description of the island and all the little islands you pass. It was delightful and about an hour or so. Then 20-30 minutes at the little Sopher's Hole boat basin, charming, and then a land tour on a little open-air bus to the northern coast and back down to Road Town. A beautiful unspoiled tropical island and a great excursion. When you get in the Rainforest be prepared for sudden quick shower and roll down the shades! Actually it was fun. I hope Tortola Sea and See is an option for you. We would do it again in a minute on our next cruise this fall.

I second Peache's comment that Tortola is NOT terrible.

We spent a lovely day at Tortola. We went to Cane Bay Beach and on the way back to the ship we stopped at Pusser's.

I talked to a pax that did a snorkel excursion through Hal and he said it was wonderful. The excursion did not go to the Baths.

I second Peache's comment that Tortola is NOT terrible.

We spent a lovely day at Tortola. We went to Cane Bay Beach and on the way back to the ship we stopped at Pusser's.

I talked to a pax that did a snorkel excursion through Hal and he said it was wonderful. The excursion did not go to the Baths.

That sounds good to us. What's the point of being on an island at night if one doesn't go to a bar, restaurant, or other evening activity? We'll save the Baths for visit # 2. Actually, a few of the cruises we're looking into are small ship cruises (not HAL) that go to Virgin Gorda. First let's see if we like the Caribbean!

Archived